Most overrated high priced beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the Stone 10th Anniversary ( a friend gave me one) was horrible. So sweet it was near impossible to finish one with help.

Abita. Their Brown/Porter is okay for being relatively inexpensive, but I tried the amber one day, and I promptly returned the entire sixer. Since then, I'll have no part in any of their others, save for the Brown.

Anything by Becks. It all tastes skunky and old.

Kingfisher et al. Trash lagers, no better than BMC, but sold at Indian restaurants at "premium" prices.

Kirin, Sopporo, etc. See above. Not too different from BMC, but sold by various Asian restaurants like it's Liquid Gold.

STELLA. STELLA. STELLA. God help me, this crap is EVERYWHERE. It's not a "bad" beer, but it's not really much better than BMC either. Yet, everywhere I go, they've got it on tap and are charging premium prices for it. Are you kidding me? And to make matters worse, all the doofuses who normally drink BMC or Cali Chard order Stella and they think they're drinking some exotic potion. Their self-satisfaction smells like turds.

Redhook ESB. Again, pushed by many places as premium, but it's not. The winterhook is okay.

Magic Bullsh*t Hat. There's a huge following, but don't ask me why. All their beers taste watered down, like they want to be craft brewery, but can't bring themselves to risk alienating the BMC crowd. Ugh.

Hoegaarden. A good wit, but bland in comparison to real-deal belgian wit done by artisan producers and not an international conglomerate.

Guinness. Nuff said. Oh, it's dark, so it must be mysterious and exotic. Pfft.

Killians. Tastes like Goldfish crackers. Do they salt their brew?

Rolling Cock. The most skunked beer of all the skunky beers. I'll drink a gallon of bud light before I put my lips to a Rolling Rock. And the nerve to actually charge MORE for this tripe? Nas-tay.

I could go on, but I have a meeting in 5 mins.

krispy d said:
anything from belgium... OK let the flaming begin.

BURN BABY BURN :D

They are expensive, but not necessarily overpriced. You do get what you pay for there, imo (with what I have sampled).

I consider an overrated, overpriced beer to be something that you say "I wouldn't give you $2 for that" when it is sold for say $7 and everyone else says "Oh you HAVE to try that". Then again it is all linked to personal preference.

But in general, there are so many excellent beers from Belgium I personally have a rough time with blanket statements...that is like trying a Bitburger and saying "man those German beers are BITTER!". :fro:

Stone, Rogue, and Deschutes are probably the big offenders around here. I would disagree about Guinness, it's one of the few brews that I enjoy as much today as I did when I first got into beer. Dry stouts aren't supposed to be heavy bodied or sweet.

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
Fat Tire
Samuel Adams
Coopers - Dang it's good, but it's ten freaking bucks a sixer here.

Agreed. But here (Korea) the beer selection is so bad that I go to bars specifically to be able to pay $6 for one bottle Coopers. :( At least Costco has Leffe, without that I'd go insane.

Fat Tire is bleh, Samuel Adams is very good for a mass market lager, but its a mass market lager so that's not saying to much

Noticed nobody is putting down Sierra Nevada. Had it for the first time last year (none in Korea, not popular back home in Maine) and was very very impressed for a beer that mass market. Never had a beer that good for the price.

All Pilsners are overrated.
Especially Stella and Heineken.
I'd make an exception for Pilsner Urquell. Not great, but quite tasty.

Anything by Becks. It all tastes skunky and old.
Becks Dark isn't that bad, beats the hell out of Heinekin Dark. But then Heinekin Dark, Guiness and Becks Dark are the only black beers I've EVER seen in stores in Korea. *cries*

Hoegaarden. A good wit, but bland in comparison to real-deal belgian wit done by artisan producers and not an international conglomerate.
Of course, but its definately the best mass market wheat beer I've had. Not amazing, but quite tasty.

Rolling Cock. The most skunked beer of all the skunky beers. I'll drink a gallon of bud light before I put my lips to a Rolling Rock. And the nerve to actually charge MORE for this tripe? Nas-tay.
STRONGLY agree. Just tastes nasty.

anything from belgium... OK let the flaming begin.
Hmmm, Belgium has some of my favorite mass market beers. Especially Leffe...
Haven't gotten to try any micro Belgian beers, but I'd kill for a chance since if the mass market stuff I good I can only imagine what the micro stuff tastes like.

Magic Hat- Come on Vermont, you can do better than that! Are the #9, blind faith, and fat angel identical? no not exactly, but close enough. I'd like to see a little creativity outside of their graphics department! maybe risk rocking the boat. all of their sixers are 10 bucks in new york and none you can't find the a porter or a stout.

1 dollar domestics the other day at a local bar. Ask the bartender for a lienie's big butt (on tap) and he says that's an import. I was like wtf, it's made in WI. So I asked for a Sierra Nevada pale ale (also on tap), but apparently California is not in the U.S. So I was like fine, give me a blue moon (on tap), nope apparently being made by coors doesn't necessarily make it a domestic. So the only beers that are made in the U.S. to this guy were the basic BMC. Apparently the united states is made of St Louis, parts of WI and one section of a brewery in CO.
WTF?

I'll agree with everyone on Guiness and Tire.

I'll also put up... All Italian beers. Sorry, they're skunky lagers. I went to an Italian restaurant and they kept bragging about their Italian beers, like I'm supposed to get excited about a crappy lager.

Sam Adams Boston Lager - just a bitter, maltless concoction.

All fruit beers.

SNCA. Drank it, but I don't get it. What's the Celebration?

Boulevard Wheat. Blech.

Cheesefood said:
I'll also put up... All Italian beers. Sorry, they're skunky lagers. I went to an Italian restaurant and they kept bragging about their Italian beers, like I'm supposed to get excited about a crappy lager.

Try La Rossa, if you can find it. It's either a bock or dopplebock, can't remember which. VERY malty, very full-bodied (almost too full-bodied), sweet. Real nice beer, not something I could drink a lot of, but really nice. The complete opposite of what I was expecting to recieve (we went out to an Italian restaurant for our small work x-mas party, didn't have many good choices).

Sam Adams Boston Lager - just a bitter, maltless concoction.
Well its not a BAD sort of bitterness. I'd take bitter lagers over flavorless lagers ANY day.

Cheesefood said:
I'll agree with everyone on Guiness and Tire.

I have to disagree with all the Guinness bashing, though what I have noticed is that their are only certain bars that I'll get Guinness from, the bars that go through it quickly. Old Guinness is absolutely nasty.

I won't drink a few of my favorite beers at the bar because of the price. Orval is usually around $4 a bottle at the store or $10 at the bar

Is Baltika on this list somewhere? It got a huge score at BevMo (I know, I know)and tasted nasty/sugary. I actually could not finish it and had to dump it.

Cheesefood said:
SNCA. Drank it, but I don't get it. What's the Celebration?

Well, it is a limited wintertime release, so I guess that is the "celebration" aspect of it. But personally, I think it is a fine beer. I've had many IPAs that come close, but I think SNCA is a really well done beer.

I only have 2 six packs left from the 2 cases I bought in November. :( :mad:

I don't think Bells is worth what they charge-it's good stuff, but not worth it.
I've also seen Killian's sold as premium/import-that is bogus.
In terms of the Sam Adams arguement-I think it is overpriced, but I still consider it a quality beer and I'm happy that it is widely available...example: went to a bar the other night that sold Newcastle and SA for the same price-the Newcastle was skunked beyond repair and the Boston Lager was crisp and fresh as ever.

Ah, well, I think that just about covers every freakin' beer on the market. Hilarious. "Stone sucks". "Bell's is overpriced". "Belgians are nasty".

Now I see why you all homebrew.
gy.gif

Stella AKA wifebeater ale, Corona (the one beer I truly can't stand), Heineken. I like Guiness quite a bit--and it's untrue that the beer is different from Ireland. They make a number of different beers to export to different markets (including a sorghum version for Nigeria), and so any difference will most likely be from that. Freshness might be a factor, I had some really bad bottles a few months ago. Also, if you're in the UK and drink Carling or Carlsberg, you should have your head checked. It never ceased to amaze me how many pubgoers get Stella/Carling/Carlsberg when you could get a cask ale for LESS money. If all they have is cheap beer, at least get Tetley's! :D

Dude said:
I like it too. Granted it has been 5-6 years since I've had one, but that was always a fave of mine when I was in Omaha.

My honey wheat is based on that recipe.

I have you recipe bottle conditioning as we speak. Should be ready in a week or two.

Dude said:
Was the fermentation really nasty? That honey really messes up my carboys. :p

You'll like that one!

Actually its the one that you posted up a while back, for a clone, no honey. But yeah I had a blow out with 5 gallons in a 6 1/2 gallon bucket. I did not even use a starter.:rockin:

z987k said:
1 dollar domestics the other day at a local bar. Ask the bartender for a lienie's big butt (on tap) and he says that's an import. I was like wtf, it's made in WI. So I asked for a Sierra Nevada pale ale (also on tap), but apparently California is not in the U.S. So I was like fine, give me a blue moon (on tap), nope apparently being made by coors doesn't necessarily make it a domestic. So the only beers that are made in the U.S. to this guy were the basic BMC. Apparently the united states is made of St Louis, parts of WI and one section of a brewery in CO.
WTF?

Amen brother I know some of these beers don't neccesarily deserve to be called premium, but that is much better than calling something an import that comes from California.

Bell's and Boulevard? You've gotta be kidding me?!:eek: These are two of my favorites that I can no longer get my hands on b/c of the crooked, backward laws pertaining to beer distribution where I live.

Yes, LaRossa is one of the best Italian beers. It isn't great, but compared to all the other Italians...

To each his or her own I guess. Personally, I find most Canadian beers other than Unibroue to be overated.

Brewtopia said:
I also like Panil Barriquée from Italy. A barrel aged Belgian style sour red.
I've never even heard of that one. Is it available Stateside?

La Rossa (by Moretti), as mentioned by Bird, is a pretty good Italian Doppelbock :)confused:). I'd pick it over a lot of other European beers I've had. However, avoid regular Moretti and Peroni like the plague they are.

Fwiw, I never said Stone was a bad company....just the 10th. Seriously it was like drinking a syrupy grapefruit juice. Blech. :D

Bell's runs just a little over some of the other craft brews here and I have never had one that I thought tasted bad.

Rogue makes some excellent brews. Some I don't particularly care for, but I have yet to have one I would say is 'flawed'. They are by no means my favorite, but you don't win world's by not knowing what you are doing...

Oh I have a overrated, overpriced one....Kalik. :cross:

Victory Hop Devil. There is nothing to it comma it's just bitter comma no hop aroma no malt flavor nothing else. And when I can get a better IPA for $2 less a six pack I'll go for some NewGlarus or LakeFront. Chimay red is one of the worst beers I have ever had. I'll rather drink a Alagash Triple or a New Glarus Belgium Quad for 3 bucks less.

Rhoobarb said:
Bell's and Boulevard? You've gotta be kidding me?!:eek: These are two of my favorites that I can no longer get my hands on b/c of the crooked, backward laws pertaining to beer distribution where I live.

Must be a Chicago area thing Rhoob. The Boulevard, I mean, not the Bell's. I can't get it here anymore either. But Boulevard I have no problem finding.

Mine would be DFH's 60 and 90 IPA's. I just don't get it. I've paid for them, but to me it was NOT money well spent.

Ize

Evan! said:
Ah, well, I think that just about covers every freakin' beer on the market. Hilarious. "Stone sucks". "Bell's is overpriced". "Belgians are nasty".

Now I see why you all homebrew.
gy.gif

Amen Evan! It appears that the one thing we all have in common is that we all like something different. :)

Personally, I think Stone's beers are over-rated. I'm a big fan of hops but I like my beers to have some balance, something I feel most of their beers lack.
I'm also no longer a fan of Sam Adams, but I still have a soft spot for the Boston Lager since it was the first beer I ever had that made me realize that there could be more to beer than BMC . (Of course, this was before they went Macro)
The one 'premium' beer I really despise is Blue Moon, I'm pretty sure it's just Coors with Coriander and Orange extract in it.

I'm a fan of Guinness, despite the price, but you definitely need to have it at a place that rotates through kegs regularly and actually uses nitrogen to serve. I also have to disagree about it tasting the same in Ireland, I had it in Dublin and it was a religious experience.

I would say Yuengling, Dogfishead 120min IPA, Harpoon, Rogue Dead Guy, and Fuller's are all overpriced.

sause said:
Victory Hop Devil. There is nothing to it comma it's just bitter comma no hop aroma no malt flavor nothing else. And when I can get a better IPA for $2 less a six pack I'll go for some NewGlarus or LakeFront. Chimay red is one of the worst beers I have ever had. I'll rather drink a Alagash Triple or a New Glarus Belgium Quad for 3 bucks less.

Have to disagree about Hop Devil. That is my favorite IPA. I know it is ridiculously bitter, but I taste some malt flavor and smell hop aroma when I drink it. Ridiculously bitter to me is a good think though as long as there is some balance, and I think there is with Victory Hop Devil.

Wow, I disagree on the Guinness front. I love the stuff. Granted, there are several stouts that I love even more, but Guinness is a fine ale. $40/case fine? Probably not.

The one thing that this topic clearly demonstrates is that we all have our own preferences, bias and breadth of experience. One person's overrated, overpriced, overhyped swill is another's all time favorite beer ever.

No need to get in a twist cause someone else doesn't like your favorite brew....

Ize said:
Must be a Chicago area thing Rhoob. The Boulevard, I mean, not the Bell's. I can't get it here anymore either. But Boulevard I have no problem finding....Ize

:off: Really! If so, I'm gonna have to make a road trip. Beats going all the way to St. Louis! I love their Bully Porter! Can you get Schlafly, too?

Back