Most often broken piece of brewing equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Most often broken piece of brewing equipment?

• Auto-siphon

• Hydrometer

• Carboy

• Airlock

• Racking cane

• Bottles

• Aeration stone

• Thermometer

• A mysterious and vulnerable piece of kegging equipment this bottling-only poster doesn't know about

• Other (vent below)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have gone thru one hydrometer and one therometer. I voted for hydrometer as IMO they are more fragile.

'Broken' might not be the right word but I def have gone through more thermometers than anything. But I'm still on my orig hydrometer, carboys, etc. I doubt I'll use my autosiphons enough to break them since I've gone back to the ole SS racking cane. All-in-all (i.e. once you consider all the cleaning/sanitizing/etc.)...I just find the cane easier to use overall (and it def ain't breakin').

I'm weird.

2 hydrometer jars
0 hydrometers

1 floating thermometer (replaced with probe type, harder to break)
2 racking canes (replaced with stainless)

I broke a glass thermometer and a glass carboy. The thermometer was difficult to use anyway, since I had to hold it while taking a reading. I bought a metal dial thermometer, and I don't see that one breaking. The carboy I broke is discussed in this thread, so eventually, I'll be upgrading to a SS conical fermenter.

Auto-syphons, racking cranes, and anything else plastic are a little harder to break, but it is possible. I had the end of my thief come off, but I think it was the glue that failed and not the plastic.

I voted for carboys, since that is my most recent thing to break.

... I bought a metal dial thermometer, and I don't see that one breaking. ...

I broke one. The needle in the dial fell off and just bounced around in mine - so, they do break. BTW, I tore off the whole dial and superglued a long thermocouple into the metal spike part. The thermocouple plugs into a Fluke temp meter. Works great again.

I mistakenly used an 'oven' thermometer (the kind with the corded probe) in a batch of wort. Apparently those suckers don't like getting wet past the stainless steel probe part of it. Now it reads ~120 degrees F at room temperature :(

I melted an autosiphon once and I got a digital thermometer wet once. Both were preventable and my fault. The thermometer got trashed. I used the leftover it of the autosiphon as a racking cane.

Same hydrometer I bought 20 years ago. (crosses fingers).

I voted Hydrometer and just as I suspected, it's in the lead. I swear that if you breathe on one of those things the wrong way that they shatter.

I mistakenly used an 'oven' thermometer (the kind with the corded probe) in a batch of wort. Apparently those suckers don't like getting wet past the stainless steel probe part of it. Now it reads ~120 degrees F at room temperature :(

Stick it in a 350* oven for 30 minutes, it'll be fine. (Leave the plug hanging out, but the rest goes in the oven)

No way I will ever buy a floating glass thermometer, I break those damn things so too much. If I do a 5 gallon batch, my hot liquor tank only has like 6 inches of water in it, if you drop the thermometer even an inch, shatter. Then you have to dump the water and reheat it... arg. I just welded in an exterior thermometer into the tank, now I dont have to worry about it! Thermocouple and PID temperature controller all the way!

I chose other because the only thing i break is hearts...

:D

Ok the real reason is the only item i have broken is the sample tube you put your wort sample into for a hydro reading, slipped outta my hand during clean up. Have not bothered getting another one yet... i just sanatize my hydro and put it in main fermentor (i only use my carboy for apfelwine anymore, so is easy to use in my other 2 buckets) then seal it up for 3 weeks and take gravity after 3 weeks. Maybe I am to trusting of the yeasties to do their job, but it works for me. :) Hope I didn't just jinx myself...

Where's the "You are clumsy Mother ****ers option". I'll be 3 years at this in 2 weeks and I've broken NOTHING.

Maybe it's because I've worked in the food service industry for 25 years and I am just used to using caution around breakable objects

Do you feel warm? :D

I hadn't broken any equipment until last night. In fact, I was laughing at this thread because of all your misfortunes.

well, I was bottling last night, and during cleanup I couldn't get the hose off of the auto siphon (first time using the brand new auto-siphon btw). So, like an idiot, rather than just conitnuing to pull and pull so more, I tried to twist, and "SNAP" goes the racking cane at the bend. :(

I hadn't broken any equipment until last night. In fact, I was laughing at this thread because of all your misfortunes.

well, I was bottling last night, and during cleanup I couldn't get the hose off of the auto siphon (first time using the brand new auto-siphon btw). So, like an idiot, rather than just conitnuing to pull and pull so more, I tried to twist, and "SNAP" goes the racking cane at the bend. :(

I've recently found that pushing the hose harder onto the cane, I know it seems wrong to push it farther onto the hose, will loosen it and if I pull immediately back on it the tubing comes off easily.

I've recently found that pushing the hose harder onto the cane, I know it seems wrong to push it farther onto the hose, will loosen it and if I pull immediately back on it the tubing comes off easily.

ah, the ol' chinese finger trap!

where were you last night? :D I'll keep that in mind when I buy my next one....

When mine gets stuck, I run hot water over the tubing for about 30 seconds, then it pulls off easily.

But the suggestion to push and then pull is probably easier and faster, I'll have to try that next time.

I broke my first hydrometer on Friday. So my count in my brewing career is 1 hydrometer, 1 autosiphon, and about 5 gazillion thermometers.

I_must_break_you.jpg

ah, the ol' chinese finger trap!

where were you last night? :D I'll keep that in mind when I buy my next one....

It has worked for me so far. Sometimes to get the tubing to push on farther I have to pull up on the edge of the tubing with my fingernail, just to get a little air between it and the cane, and then I push forward. Once it gets moving I think the residual liquid in the tube tends to work it's way up on to the cane and lubricate it and that also seems to help in pulling it off, as it tends to slide off very easily at that point.

I haven't begun brewing yet, but after unpacking my equipment that came in the mail yesterday, my guess is that the hydrometer will be the first to perish due to my clumsy hands. That little guy looks a little fragile.

I've destroyed two hydrometers in the last 3 months. They never seem to just break either... they tend to launch out of the test container, flying through the air in slow motion, ending up in million pieces on my kitchen floor. :eek:

Also, I snapped a racking cane. I'm not exactly sure how, but there it is.

well, I was bottling last night, and during cleanup I couldn't get the hose off of the auto siphon (first time using the brand new auto-siphon btw). So, like an idiot, rather than just conitnuing to pull and pull so more, I tried to twist, and "SNAP" goes the racking cane at the bend.

A perfect description of how/why I started this thread in the first place. Thanks to those posting ideas on how to avoid in the future! Now to find out if I can make them work...

Only hydrometers broken so far, but I am shocked that I haven't merc'd my autosiphon yet, 22 brews and counting...

Things of mine that get broken the most (in order)

1) Sunday morning plans
2) Bank account
3) Having a 'normal' conversation about beer

I have broken one hydrometer. The cane part of my autosiphon cracked after many years of good use. The pump part of my Vinator broke at the threads I guess years under tension of the spring was too much for it. Three items in 5 1/4 years. Not too bad.

Back