Most likely cause of residual sweetness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bvanderhaar

Reaction score
I've had two brews that have had more residual sweetness than I'm used to. These process variables have changed since my last few brews:
  • Now using a converted fridge as fermentation chamber
  • I used hotter strike water (170F) due to brewing outside
  • Brews are being kegged

I also tried a few different ingredients:
  • Pale malt (4L) instead of brewers (1-2L) as a base malt; LHBS said it shouldn't cause a flavor difference
  • 1272 instead of the usual 1056 or US-05

I know this is a lot of variables to change - but I'm looking for those with more experience to comment on what they think is most likely the cause of the residual sweetness. I switched back to brewers malt and 1056 and am getting the drier results I expected. Is it the yeast or the malt? Or something else?

The attentuation rates for the 1272 and 1056 are the same, according to the Wyeast website. I use Pale Malt in most of my beers, it does give a slightly richer, maltier flavor than standard 2 row, in my opinion, and you could be perceiving that as sweetness.

The attentuation rates for the 1272 and 1056 are the same, according to the Wyeast website. I use Pale Malt in most of my beers, it does give a slightly richer, maltier flavor than standard 2 row, in my opinion, and you could be perceiving that as sweetness.

Thanks for responding! 'Slightly' more malty seems a bit light to describe the difference, but maybe I'm not remembering things correctly - or I'm harder on myself/my brews. Once my latest brew carbs up, I'll try to do a side by side comparison.

Honestly, I like the higher floc of 1272 for convenience. But with this experience, I'm not sure I'd risk it again on a whole batch - even though Wyeast does claim same attenuation. The beer isn't undrinkable - it's just...too sweet for me; I'm always going to go to the drier beer.

I think you forgot to tell us about that lactose addition! :)

Hmm, hotter strike= higher mash temp, higher FG, I've mashed hot and no apparent sweetness. I'm with Pappers, I think you sense it from the grain switch, strong taste buds you have there!

I use 1272 and also like the higher floc, but only my porter w/lactose have I noticed sweetness.

I think you forgot to tell us about that lactose addition! :)

Hmm, hotter strike= higher mash temp, higher FG, I've mashed hot and no apparent sweetness. I'm with Pappers, I think you sense it from the grain switch, strong taste buds you have there!

I use 1272 and also like the higher floc, but only my porter w/lactose have I noticed sweetness.

At first when I was reflecting on my brewing I didn't even remember I used different base malt - I only remembered after using brewers on my last brew. Now I want to brew with brewers and 1272 to double check. Maybe I'm just sensitive to that flavor.

Each person's palate is unique, so you could be sensitive to a malt change when many might not be.

Are your FG's significantly different?

Each person's palate is unique, so you could be sensitive to a malt change when many might not be.

Are your FG's significantly different?

Yeah...I was hoping no one asked about FG's. I had these two brews in the primary for 2.5 weeks and was more focused on getting kegging right. So...I didn't take a FG. Not prudent in hindsight, but figured even if they were high - not a lot could be done.

The latest brews (drier) FG were 1.002 (IPA) and 1.010 (Stout).

Yeah...I was hoping no one asked about FG's. I had these two brews in the primary for 2.5 weeks and was more focused on getting kegging right. So...I didn't take a FG. Not prudent in hindsight, but figured even if they were high - not a lot could be done.

The latest brews (drier) FG were 1.002 (IPA) and 1.010 (Stout).

Don't feel bad, I rarely take FGs, as my beers end up typically at the low end of the estimated range, and I like them dry. But it might help quantify whether this is a fermentation or recipe issue, you need to figure that out. :mug:

Is a sweet taste or a fruity taste? That might be what you are tasting. 1272 fermented in the upper end of the range can develop a fruitiness to the brew. Fermented at 60-62 and it is pretty clean.

I use it a lot and like to ferment it at the lower end of the range, unless I want some fruitiness. I do like it a lot because it does drop out nice and clear.

Is a sweet taste or a fruity taste? That might be what you are tasting. 1272 fermented in the upper end of the range can develop a fruitiness to the brew. Fermented at 60-62 and it is pretty clean.

I use it a lot and like to ferment it at the lower end of the range, unless I want some fruitiness. I do like it a lot because it does drop out nice and clear.

I think it's sweetness - sugary/malty. But I'll survey my friends to get a consensus. I'm not claiming a pristine reference palate; but I feel pretty confident in saying it's sweetness. When I think fruity - I think of more of a belgian yeasty flavor/complexity. There might be some of that (I fermented at 67F); but to me it's overwhelmingly sweet.

I think it's sweetness - sugary/malty. But I'll survey my friends to get a consensus. I'm not claiming a pristine reference palate; but I feel pretty confident in saying it's sweetness. When I think fruity - I think of more of a belgian yeasty flavor/complexity. There might be some of that (I fermented at 67F); but to me it's overwhelmingly sweet.

Often a "too sweet" beer isn't really too sweet via FG readings- but it IS often underbittered.

An important measurement to look at is the SG/IBU ratio.

So, for a beer with an OG of 1.050, an IBU of 50 gives a ratio of 1.000. That would be strongly bitter. For a beer with an OG of 1.090 and an IBU of 50, that would be .556- not very bitter at all and actually probably sweet in the finish.

So, look at the OGs, and the IBUs, and see if that could be the problem.

Back