Most frustrating hobby ever?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for everyone's input. I'm going to replace all of my plastic and brew and ferment my next batch in the garage with my buddy's turkey fryer to see if anything changes.

As for the questions about my temps.. the whole reason I ferment in the closet is because it holds a steady 60-62 degrees in there constantly. I check the temp 3 to 4 times a day just to make sure.

Hopefully we can get this cleared up.

tubz said:
Thanks for everyone's input. I'm going to replace all of my plastic and brew and ferment my next batch in the garage with my buddy's turkey fryer to see if anything changes.

As for the questions about my temps.. the whole reason I ferment in the closet is because it holds a steady 60-62 degrees in there constantly. I check the temp 3 to 4 times a day just to make sure.

Hopefully we can get this cleared up.

After you replace all the plastic, never use anything abrasive when cleaning.. use a soft wash cloth or something like that. No scrubbies or stainless steel, or anything that might put even the smallest surface scratches in it.

By the way, you have got to be the most determined home brewer I've ever heard of. If I brewed 10 consecutive batches that I had to dump, I would have set all my gear on fire long ago. Maybe even my house too! My hats off to you for sticking with it no matter what. I think new plastic, and a nice rolling boil from the turkey fryer should take care of you problem. Good luck man! :-D

curlyfat said:
The big question I have is, what temp are you fermenting at? All my beers tasted the same (i.e. not really that great) until I started keeping the temps 68F or less. A simple swamp-cooler setup could change your whole world!

+1 I had the same issue before I got temp under control

I wonder if the mash pH is off because of the 'unknown' minerals in the water. Too high or too low can make a beer pretty gross.

I second the idea to use dry yeast for a bit, too.

What temps is the room the fermenter sit in? Add as much as 5-10(for crazy active ferment) to the temperature of the room for the beer. What yeast are you using? I hate nottingham, it has always left a tongue sucking dryness for me.

Back