Most entertaining yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radegast

Reaction score
I have a beer on some Weihenstephan Weizen I'm about to rack off, and I think I'm going to reuse the slurry just because I love watching this yeast go! It ferments like, well...findlaym said "like a grenade," and that's pretty accurate. I love an active fermenter, and I found it very gratifying. That WLP007 also looks interesting, just to see the bizarre, cheese-like yeast clumps.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Is there any yeast that you've used just because you enjoy it?

I love watching wyeast 1728. It works in so many styles, and it's like watching a classroom full of kids with ADD play hungry hungry hippos

The first time I used Wyeast 1318 I was a little surprised by it. The description says, "A true top cropping yeast." When I peeked in on it after the bulk of fermentation was done, it had formed a damn shell on top of the beer. I had to fold it over and break it up with a spoon. Weird.

Don't know if I've ever seen a yeast go harder than an all brett beer that I made with a 4L starter. Activity in about 2 hours, and it sounded like the blow-off jar was boiling, it was bubbling so fast....for 3 days.

Not so much the yeast strain itself is interesting per se, but yeast in general. I had my starter all ready to go on brew day. My boil was done and I had a hydro sample sitting there. Just for kicks I pitched the hydro sample into the starter while I was waiting for the trub in my kettle to settle. In less than an hour I had over an inch of foam in the pitcher! That was pretty cool. I watched it progress from a few bubbles to yeast rafts to full blown krausen all in that time.

Back