Most DME high gravity stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What's the upper limit on how much DME can be added to an extract brew while still producing a good tasting beer if hops and specialty grains are balanced?

I'd like to do a 5.5 gallon batch with 11# or 12# Light DME to hit close to 1.100 OG. This would be balanced with hops and specialty grains to impart flavor, body, and bitterness.

Is there an issue using that much DME in an extract brew?

ive done up to 9lbs of dark lme. I also steeped specialty grains tho too. I dont see why you coundnt but i would steep some other flavors in there or it would be pretty basic.

Probably the biggest issue you will run into will be that the yeast will kill itself with all the alcohol produced before it can completely ferment all the sugars, leaving you with a sickeningly sweet beer. Before you get too excited about your plan, look through the recipe database here on HomeBrewTalk and see how some other barleywines are put together. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=74

Yesterday we did 18 pounds M.O. 2 pounds roasted badly,1 pound crystal 60, 1 pound chocolate malt and 11 pounds amber liquid extract we hit 1.107 aiming for 1.115 should end up at 11.5 abv.

Latest posts

Back