Most Awful Beer Ever Award

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Miller 64. Doesn't even taste like beer... not even really, really bad beer.

Hard to pick a worst. There definitely have been some disappointing brews I've tried.

Most recently, grabbed a bomber of Lagunitas Lucky 13 (research). It's pretty highly rated, so I probably just don't get it, but it tasted like licking the inside of my grain bag and then washing it down with a couple Centennial pellets. Also, there must be a boatload of rye in there because it was spicy spicy spicy.

On the plus side, my girl and I got pretty tipsy on it, having had it on an empty stomach while cooking dinner.

I have a few friends that like corona. When I say that it tastes bad their response is, ”it tastes great with lime.” I don't think you should have to add flavor to a beer to make it drinkable. It's probably not the worst but I don't like it...

I completely disagree about the BMC beers. Yeah, there's not much to taste there. But I'll take something I can pound down at a BBQ without having to think about it over something I take a sip and want to dump it down the drain.

I'm right up there with folks saying Voodoo Maple Bacon Nasty Monstrosity. After that beer it should have been made illegal for Rogue and Voodoo to work together.

Other nominations:

-Anderson Valley Summer Solstice. I tried this for the first time the other day. Luckily it was a club event and other folks seemed to like it, or it would have gone down the drain.
-Pumpkin beer. Any of them. All of them. Yeah, I said it.
-Steel Reserve. I'm not much for malt liquor, but that stuff tastes like rotten barley and solvent, and is little more than hangover fuel.
-St. Louis Premium Framboise. I can stomach the Lindeman's fake Lambics and enjoy them. This one was awful. Cloying imitation raspberry cough syrup.
-Sam Adams Cherry Wheat and Cranberry Lambic. Both drain pours.
-Victory Golden Monkey. People love it. I thought it tasted like rubbing alcohol.

Yeah, that cherry wheat reminded me of cough syrup. Yuk! I still have a couple in the fridge if there are any takers.

I challenge anyone to come up with a beer worse then my failed crawfish beer experiment.

amfukuda said:
I challenge anyone to come up with a beer worse then my failed crawfish beer experiment.

Can you explain how you made this first? Because what I imagine it to be I can't see how you thought it might be a good idea.

amfukuda said:

BigDaddyBeard said:
Can you explain how you made this first? Because what I imagine it to be I can't see how you thought it might be a good idea.

Sounds weird to me too, but I could see it working maybe in a Michelada or some other type of red beer, substituting the clam juice for crawfish juice.

I said it before in the other two threads on this subject and I'll say it again. Worst beer ever is Sam Adams Triple Bock. I would gladly drink only the beers mentioned so far for the rest of my life as long as I never took another sip of Triple Bock. Hands down worst beer ever made. That's it, discussion over, the thread is done. Someone turn the lights off on the way out. :D

Magic Hat #9. I was really excited to try it after my friend raved about it, so I bought a sixer recently. I choked down one and gave the rest to him. I did not like it at all, just tasted weird. I'd rather drink BLL.

Thanks you! I've never understood how Magic Hat managed to stay afloat. I too could not finish a 6er of #9.

There's no competition- the worst beer ever intentionally made is National Bohemian.

Close runners up- anything by Leinenkugel's and Victory Golden Monkey.

Most of the beers on this thread are pretty awful, no doubt. But I am very surprised to see Golden Monkey make the list. Great beer, well crafted. Maybe you had a bad bottle (warm storage temps or what not)?

I said it before in the other two threads on this subject and I'll say it again. Worst beer ever is Sam Adams Triple Bock. I would gladly drink only the beers mentioned so far for the rest of my life as long as I never took another sip of Triple Bock. Hands down worst beer ever made. That's it, discussion over, the thread is done. Someone turn the lights off on the way out. :D

This comment belongs in another thread, but it's too funny not to mention here. I once had a (female) friend come over to a party with some beer in hand. She gives me the bag and says, "I brought a really cool beer."

"Oh yeah, what is it?" I asked.

"It's Sam Adams Triple Bock. They use three bocks in each batch to make it taste really strong!" she squeaks.

THREE WHOLE BOCKS per batch?!?!?! Holy hops batman, that's a lot of bocks!

evrose said:
This comment belongs in another thread, but it's too funny not to mention here. I once had a (female) friend come over to a party with some beer in hand. She gives me the bag and says, "I brought a really cool beer."

"Oh yeah, what is it?" I asked.

"It's Sam Adams Triple Bock. They use three bocks in each batch to make it taste really strong!" she squeaks.

THREE WHOLE BOCKS per batch?!?!?! Holy hops batman, that's a lot of bocks!

That must be why it tastes so terrible. They used too many bocks in it. ;)

erockdoc said:
Most of the beers on this thread are pretty awful, no doubt. But I am very surprised to see Golden Monkey make the list. Great beer, well crafted. Maybe you had a bad bottle (warm storage temps or what not)?

I've had it a few times, because I live near the brewery. I don't care for the style in general, but I find that beer to have no redeeming qualities, and I've heard others say the same.

Alternatively, can you imagine what a bunch of die-hard BMC drinkers would say if you ask them this same question?

Worst i tasted recently is that Rhineland crap from Fresh and Easy. At $1.99 a bottle for a DIPA, I immediately bought like 4 of 'em. Drank one and it tastes like pure unfermented sugar water with absolutely no hop presence. Dumped the other three out and washed the bottles to use for real beer.

ivegot2legs said:
Alternatively, can you imagine what a bunch of die-hard BMC drinkers would say if you ask them this same question?

My old man drinks Bud, and crap to him is Coor's Light, and my Uncle drinks Coor's Light, and thinks Bud is crap. They often rag on each other for who drinks worse beer as I chuckle and enjoy something of actual taste.

I've had it a few times, always with a similar impression. It's possible I've had bad examples each time, but I doubt it. I want to say it includes draft too, not just bottles.

My opinion here, but it tasted like a new homebrewer brewing a tripel and then serving it straight out of a short primary after pitching too little yeast, not aerating at all, and not controlling the temperature. Hot as all hell when very cold, and undrinkable when warmed up to proper serving temp for a tripel. Perhaps it would be better after being allowed to age?

Why has no one talked about Natural Light? We used to drink it by the keg in college. By far the worst beer ever. Even worse than my epic fail of a first brew

The worst beer ever is Asher Brewing's Eux-De-Vie. I had it at the Boulder Sourfest this summer. It tasted like nail polish remover and smelled worse. Check out the two reviews at rate beer for it. I couldn't believe that it made it through the quality controls that the fine people at Avery use. Seriously disgusting.

spetp said:
Why has no one talked about Natural Light? We used to drink it by the keg in college. By far the worst beer ever. Even worse than my epic fail of a first brew

Well people have been talking about Bud Light so that counts. Here is the backing to that statement... When I was in high school, i mean college, I drank Natural Light because it was $12 a case. My friend who bought Bud Light always told me it was better and worth the extra dough. I told him "same beer different packaging." He never believed me until he was unpacking a 30 only to pull the cardboard divider up to reveal Natural Light on the bottom. Same beer

BigDaddyBeard said:

Well being that I live on the Louisiana state line it was a natural train of thought when trying to find a beer idea for a crazy ingredient contest. The idea was to replace the water used for beer with crawfish boil and it was a disaster

BigDaddyBeard said:
My old man drinks Bud, and crap to him is Coor's Light, and my Uncle drinks Coor's Light, and thinks Bud is crap. They often rag on each other for who drinks worse beer as I chuckle and enjoy something of actual taste.

You ever see that piece in Beer Wars where they ask people what brand of light lager they drink, then give them the blind taste test? I like to think of that whenever I hear someone proclaim their allegiance to a brand.

I wish I had a time machine to give you some of my first batch. I'd rather drink a hot BL. it was downright rancid.

ivegot2legs said:
You ever see that piece in Beer Wars where they ask people what brand of light lager they drink, then give them the blind taste test? I like to think of that whenever I hear someone proclaim their allegiance to a brand.

No but need to see this.

I heard a story of a guy that went to a store that sold homebrew supplies among other things. It was his first brew. They sold him all specialty malts. You can imagine the rest.

lost lake and lost lake ice

Minnesota brew

Honorable mention:
hooch ice and hooch orange (zima ripoffs)

A few months ago during a beer festival by the beach in Catalonia a group of spanish homebrewers was making a demostration of a brew, it was just for the people to take a look at the proccess, they cool the wort in the fermenter in the sea... the fermenter (whit a close lid on) escaped a little further from the shore, a brave homebrewer rescue the fermenter, and they pitched the yeast and ferment the thing (it actually looked like nothing got in there) I tasted the results in a metting a couple of months ago... apparently some sea water got in to it, and when I said some I mean A LOT, the saltiest most disgusting stout that I ever tried, it was called "Prawn stout" I still puke a little in my mouth when I remember the flavor

Has no-one mentioned rolling rock... by far the least appetizing beer ever. My father drinks it and when I was young I wouldn't even sneak a drink from him.

amfukuda said:
Well being that I live on the Louisiana state line it was a natural train of thought when trying to find a beer idea for a crazy ingredient contest. The idea was to replace the water used for beer with crawfish boil and it was a disaster
This sounds horrible.

Latest posts

Back