Most annoying response when you tell someone you're a homebrewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New most annoying response: asking me to describe the homebrewing process to them...then constantly interrupting and sidetracking the conversation, such that said explanation never really happens. >.>

Actually, I lied.

As "most annoying response" this is slightly edged out by "express interest, inspire me to give them a couple bottles as a gift, and then return the empty bottles a month or two later, never-rinsed and with a quarter inch of mold growing on the bottom by that point."

Ahem

You can buy beer in a drive-thru?

Oh yeah! They are very popular in Ohio. They sell beer, wine, diluted liquor (40 proof max., I believe), and bottled mixed drinks, and they do not charge extra. In fact most of them brag about selling at state minimum pricing.

For high-powered bottled hard liquor you have to go to a state liquor store. There is actually a locally owned grocery store where I am that has the state liquor store franchise right in their store. The liquor is displayed and rung up in a separate area from the grocery purchases.

I didn't realize that drive-thru's were so unique, but that's nothing compared to Florida law when I moved there in '82. They had no law against open-containers in a vehicle. There was a bar in the keys (I think Tavernier) that had a drive-thru that sold any sort of mixed drink you wanted. They put the drink in a styrofoam cup with a lid, and you could drive down the road sucking your drink through a straw!!!!!!

Oh you brew your own beer? Awesome, I love craft beer! Do you have any IPA? I Luuuurve IPAs, I only drink IPAs I love them so much. Oh, all you have is [insert non-IPA style here]? Ok, no thanks, I only drink IPA.

Ok yeah, good luck with that.

Went to a neighbor's pool party. Brought a growler of a simple German pilsner that I came up with. Guy at party asks, is it an ale or an IPA? Takes me a second to process and formulate an answer that didn't include the words dumb ass, while realizing he won't understand what I made, when he adds: cause I hate IPAs but I like ales. Worst part is that he used to brew and acts like that enables him to be a beer authority.

Actually, I lied.

As "most annoying response" this is slightly edged out by "express interest, inspire me to give them a couple bottles as a gift, and then return the empty bottles a month or two later, never-rinsed and with a quarter inch of mold growing on the bottom by that point."

Ahem

Yes that one is always appreciated...as well as the bottle never to be returned....despite it was a 22oz. bomber that you mentioned you specifically would appreciate getting back

I tell people, if you give the bottles back, there's a much higher chance of getting them returned again, full. Sometimes helps.

I have one friend who is notorious about not returning bottles. I've told him I'll share as much as he wants over at my house (or if I bring it to a party), but he can't take it with him.

I've always got "wow cool" followed by alot of questions or "isn't that illegal". Lol apparently people still think we're in a prohibition era or something.

"Can u make bud light?"
"What are you doing in the garage, making meth?"
"I like Heineken or corona, can you make that?"
"When are you going to start moonshining?"

I tell people, if you give the bottles back, there's a much higher chance of getting them returned again, full. Sometimes helps.

Apparently I should start telling people "I am going to spray sanitizer solution, which is designed to be used after cleaning, into this bottle, fill it full of beer, cap it, and return it to you. What happens after that depends on how you return it to me." >.>

Wait till you lend your spare propane tank out and despite mentioning that you really really need it back... it never comes back.

I did that with a propane tank. Weekend I knew he was having a BBQ I went over and reclaimed it when he had a grill full of food.

I didn't think you could loan out propane tanks. Isn't it illegal or something ;) :fro:

Wait till you lend your spare propane tank out and despite mentioning that you really really need it back... it never comes back.

I'd say no to him. What's the point of having a spare that if don't have it...

The alternative is sure, give me $40 and you don't have to return it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say no to him. What's the point of having a spare that if don't have it...

The alternative is sure, give me $40 and you don't have to return it.

I am working on converting to natural gas. Last time I asked him about it his response was... Why haven't you set up your natural gas yet...

"Oh cool hobby, but I don't drink that much." - A few people, actually.

Yeah, I don't drink that much either. But, for them, if they have no beer, a cold one is a trip to the store and back. For me, I'm 4 weeks out minimum if I have no beer.

Who do you think appreciates that beer more? That's why I still don't "drink that much."

It is impossible for me to get annoyed at people for what they say because I do not give a crap what people say. Never have...never will (7-Up guy's laugh here........and here.........annnnnnnnd....here)

How much beer do you brew? Oh, you must be an alcoholic.

He's only jealous. I'd cut that mf'r off.

:D

That kind of judgemental crap annoys me.

That person has an obsession that's probably ridiculous and impractical from our viewpoints. Possibly has no sense of joy about having a cool hobby.

I look at people I know, mainly work colleagues, who obsess over things, quite a few, but not all seem pretty boring. I think whatever better you than me.

Yeah, it's like they didn't read the little sign above the wall phone mom made- " Be sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear!" That kind of ignorance gets me every time as well. Then I sometimes remember it's just that, ignorance. Unless they propagate their uninformed BS in my presence, then I give them the quick version to correct them. :mug:

You need a spare for the spare. I have a couple extra spares, actually--picked up on curbside or from a grill someone was throwing away. Take the empty to a swap station and voila! Another spare.

You need a spare for the spare. I have a couple extra spares, actually--picked up on curbside or from a grill someone was throwing away. Take the empty to a swap station and voila! Another spare.

Now your thinking. ;) Currently have 4.

Now your thinking. ;) Currently have 4.

That's how many I have! Except.....well....three are spares. :)

I hate when people ask what I brew. Everything. I brew whatever I want.

Also, I was getting a patch for my homebrew club sewed on my work shirt at a local shop. I told her it was my brewing shirt and I brewed beer. All she said back was "Oh... is it sweet". What?

1. Oh nice! I have a party next week, can you make something? No. Takes 4 weeks and you drink nasty BMC and won't appreciate it.
2. Oh, do you use Mr Beer? I have one in my garage that i got 5 years ago, can you help me with it? No. Pitch it and come over to my house and we'll brew something better.
3. Can I have some? Only if you bring back the bottle. Still looking for the 8 bottles I gave away months ago.
4. Wow, do you have a still? No. That's illegal.
5. Can you brew a Coors Light clone for me? No. Get outta my garage.

"Can I come over and brew with you?"

That one sounds bad and I appreciate their interest but I prefer to brew alone.

I've had people over during brew days and always found they did more drinking home brew than helping to make home brew.

"Can I come over and brew with you?"

That one sounds bad and I appreciate their interest but I prefer to brew alone.

I've had people over during brew days and always found they did more drinking home brew than helping to make home brew.

This. I have no problem having people over and teaching them if their interested, but brewing is my "alone time".

I hate being called an alcoholic because I brew. People assume that brewing is all about getting as much alcohol as cheaply as possible. That might have been true back in the university years but nowdays it's more about hand-crafting something that can be enjoyed. Is that so wrong?

And getting bottles back out of people - why is that so hard?

My son's just as bad...including when I give him my extinct Paulaner bottles with the monks around the shoulder. Those aren't made/used anymore. He never gave them back. Dammit. I hate that with my special bottles.
And them thinking we're alcoholics that drink all 5-6 gallons at once. Dipsticks, don't they think before they speak? Geez!

Cool when are you bringing me beer?

If I really like you will may get "a" beer or two. If we get together in an appropriate beer drinking environment, I will bring plenty of my beer. I will not be providing you enough beer to get drunk every weekend.

My son's just as bad...including when I give him my extinct Paulaner bottles with the monks around the shoulder. Those aren't made/used anymore. He never gave them back. Dammit. I hate that with my special bottles.
And them thinking we're alcoholics that drink all 5-6 gallons at once. Dipsticks, don't they think before they speak? Geez!

I once asked MIL about a glass 5 gallon carboy she had in her garage. It has a screw on metal cap. She had it there for more than a year.

I ask her why she's saving it. She's says, "You want it?"

I'm like "Yeah if you're not planning to use the thing." She says I can have it if tell her why I want it.

So I tell it's for making beer. She says

"I don't know what was in it."

I say "water". She argues how do I know that?

I'm like "Well it's says water on the side, it could have had anything, but I can clean it out though."

She hesitated. "No, I don't think that's a good idea."

"Umm like why?"

She goes "Once you open that you need to drink the rest of it or it will go bad. You don't need to be drinking 5 gallons at a time."

Being a smart a$$, "I'm like no you're right that's 48+ beers and practically impossible." I told her it's for fermenting or aging beer.

She's like, "Oh o.k." Then gave me wink-wink, "Whatever you can have it....".

LOL - I got me free carboy...

This. I have no problem having people over and teaching them if their interested, but brewing is my "alone time".

For me it's " sure you can come over if you help" I'll provide them with enough homebrew to do all my clean up and grunt work. Usually about 4-6 homebrews and they'll be doing as I say. It's totally fair in my eyes. I enjoy the company and the cheap labor. SWMBO wanted me to brew a stout for her dad, so I said well it's about $1 per beer, and that's the family price, and since we're gonna name it after you (and your family) you're gonna have to do some of the work.

I tell them sure you can come help, you just volunteered to be brew grunt fir 5 hours of cleaning, washing, packaging the spent grains so I can freeze them(I trade them for farm eggs), more cleaning, umm did I mention you are going to be wet most of the day? They rarely show up...

Though this is more of a "response from people who have had homebrew," I get it often enough and find it annoying.

"That was awesome. You should only make that beer."

No. I'd rather keep doing different things, trying different recipes, delving into styles I'm not too familiar with. There is just too many new things around for me to pigeon hole my brewing just because I have a great batch with this one.

Response to some over carbonated bottles that are fine if you pour them into a glass: "I can drink Lagunitas from the bottle"

Latest posts

Back