Most annoying response when you tell someone you're a homebrewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the incredulous, "You made this?!", tonight. Not as much annoying as it is a compliment, but when they scrutinize you ad infinitum as if it's impossible to make good beer at home, I'm like, "Yeah, I made it in my bathtub but ran out room so I had to use the toilet too."

Honestly, the most annoying response is when people ask how you make beer. 95% of the time they're just being polite and don't actually want to hear any kind of explanation of the brewing process, so you're stuck either giving a basic rundown of the process knowing you'll lose them thirty words in, or a super-simple response ("water, barley, hops, and yeast") that's so short that inevitably leads them, the gluttons-for-punishment that they are, to ask follow-up questions like, "what are hops?" or "how long does it take?" or "how do you get it in the bottles?" or make wildly-inaccurate conjectures like "so you boil everything together and then wait for it to ferment?" that require you to get deeper into the topic of conversation that they don't actually want to discuss. Either way, 95% of the time the "how do you make beer?" question is a conversation killer and you take the blame for killing the conversation by talking about a technical process even if you're just answering their questions.

Make no mistake, I love to talk about brewing with people who are genuinely interested, but most of the time they aren't and once they ask the question there's no way to win.

^This for sure. I always end up feeling awful because one question can take a few minutes to answer, and the following face is one of confusion. I'll always answer the initial questions of "how do you make beer" or "how long does it take" with the question "how in depth do you want me to go?" That's at least a way you can get an indication of how interested they are on processes, malt, temp. control, etc. Then I'll adjust my answer accordingly.

These questions come about over homebrew anyway, so I'll usually stick to explaining that particular beer. I really try to limit my answer, because I could literally talk all day with someone about beer.

I struggle with "can you make [insert beer name/brand here]" questions. "Yes, yes I could. No, no I won't." Just because I can make something like a miller lite, doesn't mean I will. Although, it would be a cool challenge to try and get it to come out as consistently as the bigwigs....digressions.

On the upside, I've made bmc converts because of some of my hb beers. My neighbor was strictly bmc, now hell come to drink my apa or IPAs on tap. He now seeks out these beers to buy at bottle shops. My pastor digs my porters and stouts. I'm still working on him to get a brewery going in the church, but he wont budge on that. A friend of mine is begging me to make my DIPA again, and is wanting to start homebrewing just to try and make it. I told him I'd show him how. This evens out some of the silly questions.

This thread is proof that most folks are brainwashed. Not to get political but it also explains why peoples views will sometimes never change regardless of the outcome....

I'll post a few responses of people who have seen me brewing or heard of my brewing.

"Is that a still?"

"Oh yeah, I used to do that"

"Yeah, my dad told about drinking that stuff"(while making a drunk face impression...)

I had culinary training when I was younger and very much enjoy cooking, grilling and smoking. When we entertain, people always know the food is gonna be off the hook.

So with my new passion most people we entertain actually do have a real interest in the process which is nice.

^This for sure. I always end up feeling awful because one question can take a few minutes to answer, and the following face is one of confusion. I'll always answer the initial questions of "how do you make beer" or "how long does it take" with the question "how in depth do you want me to go?" That's at least a way you can get an indication of how interested they are on processes, malt, temp. control, etc. Then I'll adjust my answer accordingly.

These questions come about over homebrew anyway, so I'll usually stick to explaining that particular beer. I really try to limit my answer, because I could literally talk all day with someone about beer.

I struggle with "can you make [insert beer name/brand here]" questions. "Yes, yes I could. No, no I won't." Just because I can make something like a miller lite, doesn't mean I will. Although, it would be a cool challenge to try and get it to come out as consistently as the bigwigs....digressions.

On the upside, I've made bmc converts because of some of my hb beers. My neighbor was strictly bmc, now hell come to drink my apa or IPAs on tap. He now seeks out these beers to buy at bottle shops. My pastor digs my porters and stouts. I'm still working on him to get a brewery going in the church, but he wont budge on that. A friend of mine is begging me to make my DIPA again, and is wanting to start homebrewing just to try and make it. I told him I'd show him how. This evens out some of the silly questions.

I keep my answer short:

Person: "how do you make beer"?
Or
"how is there alcohol in grain" ?

Me : "science"

I've known to say its like making coffee except you use barley instead of coffee beans. Namely when I don't feel like getting into a 30 minute explanation. {Edit - I believe I said this Saturday when some 20 year old asked me about it... his GF is preggers about two months, he's got other things to worry about in the months to come.. }

It would throw them for a loop if explained this one of the ways I make coffee.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B4n-iUW_wI[/ame]

I keep my answer short:

Or

Yeah!!!

science.jpg

I keep my answer short:

Or

I learned back in graduate school that you need to have a 1 sentence or one paragraph answer to certain things. For example, "What is your dissertation about?" I've heard pompous PhD candidates say things like "Life" or "It would take too long to explain", and even "You wouldn't understand." Or they would launch into a 10 minute diatribe. Most of them either never finished, or it was awful.

You need to be able to provide a quick synopsis. I always tell people that making good beer can be as easy or as difficult as you want it to be. If you can tell time, clean, boil water, and follow directions, you can make really good beer from extract. Or you can turn it into rocket science, or anywhere in between.

When I get asked how you make beer, I have a 3 or 4 sentence description. If they follow up with more questions, I go into more detail. More often, I find people are less interested in the process than in more general questions as to what makes one beer different from another.

I learned back in graduate school that you need to have a 1 sentence or one paragraph answer to certain things. For example, "What is your dissertation about?" I've heard pompous PhD candidates say things like "Life" or "It would take too long to explain", and even "You wouldn't understand." Or they would launch into a 10 minute diatribe. Most of them either never finished, or it was awful.

You need to be able to provide a quick synopsis. I always tell people that making good beer can be as easy or as difficult as you want it to be. If you can tell time, clean, boil water, and follow directions, you can make really good beer from extract. Or you can turn it into rocket science, or anywhere in between.

When I get asked how you make beer, I have a 3 or 4 sentence description. If they follow up with more questions, I go into more detail. More often, I find people are less interested in the process than in more general questions as to what makes one beer different from another.

Its also about having a little patience to think about what you need to say to the person asking the question. To your point, a one size fits all, doesn't necessarily work without sounding like a dyck or a GD know-it-all. That said condescension can come from people who don't understand the passion.

Ironically, they might geek out on fitness or something else an see you as ridiculous. Beer can be bought at a liquor store.... right??

I often notice people just geek out on stuff they like, whereas I can see some not being able to rationalize somebody else's passion. I have co-workers that are into BBQ and a food-smoking addiction, computer gaming, drag racing, muscle cars rehab, pro-baseball, pro-football and just family kid activities.

I could easily say WTF is wrong with them.... why would they not want to drink good beer??? Fooking idiots!!! At least I know what I like is good for me.
:D

You need to be able to provide a quick synopsis.

You soak grains, mainly barley, in hot water, then drain out the water and boil it with some hops. Then you cool it down and add yeast, which ferment it and turn the sugars leeched from the grain into alcohol and CO2. Presto! Beer!

You soak grains, mainly barley, in hot water, then drain out the water and boil it with some hops. Then you cool it down and add yeast, which ferment it and turn the sugars leeched from the grain into alcohol and CO2. Presto! Beer!
My synopsis is, "You just boil grain and hops, add yeast, then wait."

Exactly! That is my typical short response almost word for word.

I find that increasingly I don't get annoying responses when people find out I'm a homebrewer. Usually I get questions of interest -- how long does it take, is it cheaper, what kind of beer do you make, etc.

The ADD version...

You soak grains and stuff then Beer!

" You're not bringing anything new to the table" Publisher about my 1st home brewing book. Can we say, " shot down in flames?":(:mad:

New most annoying response: asking me to describe the homebrewing process to them...then constantly interrupting and sidetracking the conversation, such that said explanation never really happens. >.>

When I brew European beers to style and all I get is "your DIPA was much better"

I tend to brew lighter pale ales for the warm weather. Not to mention I want lower ABV. My homebrew club will drink my beer at meetings and comment on the beer. Yeah that's easy drinking lawn mower beer and boy it's really clear.

I guess it's hard to be impressed with a defect free light beer when you have RIS, IIPA, Belgian Quad, a APA with Mosaic on the table.

I went through the drive-thru last night and was trying to decide what to get. The guy working there said "we have the Sweetwater IPA. It's like a pilsener with a lot more alcohol".

I explained that it was actually an ale and, to add a little credibility to myself, I told him I brew my own beer. He said "oh wow, that homebrew stuff is STRONG! It's more like moonshine".

I went through the drive-thru last night and was trying to decide what to get. The guy working there said "we have the Sweetwater IPA. It's like a pilsener with a lot more alcohol".

I explained that it was actually an ale and, to add a little credibility to myself, I told him I brew my own beer. He said "oh wow, that homebrew stuff is STRONG! It's more like moonshine".

Like a Pilsner?? :confused: You should have punched that guy in the throat.

That or have Billy-Klubb punch him in the berries.

You can buy beer in a drive-thru?

At least at Brew-Thru you can. Not sure if those exist outside of North Carolina though.

What in the world is that? Sounds like heaven.

It was kind of like a drive through convince store. They sell beer for off site consumption. They opened one in VA Beach, but it didn't last long. I think they still have them in Carolina. Kinda just a gimmick.

We had drive throughs back home in Illinois. I remember a convenience fee, and almost every liquor store had them. They were nice but as others have said, I like to look around.

Back