Most annoying response when you tell someone you're a homebrewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I don't like dark beers." (Like all beers other than BMC are dark...sheesh)

Funny, the one I usually hear is "I don't like bitter/hoppy beer" as though homebrewers can't possibly limit their hops or brew different kinds. Then again, these are the same people who think everything you'd get at a local craft brewery is going to be bitter/hoppy.

I've contemplated making something light and fruity, maybe like a Watermelon Wheat, but using Midnight Wheat to make it black as night, just to show them the absurdity.

I did a really nice black IPA a couple years ago. Nice light body, lightly bitter and great hop aroma and flavor but black as night. It's a fun surprise for people.

I also have people ask me a lot about Ales vs Stouts.

I also have people ask me a lot about Ales vs Stouts.

I bought a craft lager of some sort while camping last year and was drinking it straight from the bottle. One of the guys I was camping with stood there, Bud Light in hand, and said "man...'lager'...it just sounds disgustingly dark [shiver]...". I was dumbfounded.

I have several family members who are the stereotypical 12-Step RECOVERED alcoholics. You know the type, that sees you once a year at holidays, and if you happen to have a beer in your hand, that instantly makes YOU an inveterate boozer. So I definitely get the lectures about how my hobby is going to ruin my life, alcohol is pain, you need to admit you have a problem, etc.

A good way to shut that crud down is to say, "You can take my inventory when you can make my amends."

(I'm not trying to say anything negative about AA... but for some people, when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. :rolleyes:)

(I'm not trying to say anything negative about AA... but for some people, when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. :rolleyes:)

This. Alcoholism runs pretty strong on one side of my family. To those that either were alcoholics or had to live with one, it's unfathomable that someone can drink and not suffer from the same addiction, because that's the entirety of their experience with booze.

I have 3 beers on tap and two bottles of good whiskey on the shelf in my living room. No, I'm not drunk all the time, in fact I haven't had a drink since Saturday night. Just because you or your spouse had a problem putting the bottle down doesn't mean I do.

This. Alcoholism runs pretty strong on one side of my family. To those that either were alcoholics or had to live with one, it's unfathomable that someone can drink and not suffer from the same addiction, because that's the entirety of their experience with booze.

I have 3 beers on tap and two bottles of good whiskey on the shelf in my living room. No, I'm not drunk all the time, in fact I haven't had a drink since Saturday night. Just because you or your spouse had a problem putting the bottle down doesn't mean I do.

this just means you're in denial* :cross::tank::drunk:

*and by use of smiley faces here, I am indicating my total sarcasm

I did have a serious problem with it years ago & was nearly divorced & ruined because of it. But I was doing a good amount of pot too. I finally came to realize that that it was just too easy of a habit. That my problem was life in the financial sense. So I worked my way up to middle management & couldn't be buzzed all the time. Then I just moved on. I can wait till the weekends now to have some beers. I have a few on Fridays watching Bonanza with my multi-handicapped son that loves the show. Good artist too. So it's my considered opinion that a person has to face their demons & send them back to hell where they belong. Only question is, how to get'em there?...

I love the "you must be drunk all the time". I'm like nope, I drink maybe 2-5 pints a week. I make beer every 2 months.

"When are you opening up your own brewery?" Like I need that kind if headache.

Yes! I've been getting that one a bunch lately, too. Currently, I brew what I want, when I want. I don't want this fun hobby to become a chore/job.

That said, my retirement dream is to open a combination Brewpub/LHBS back in my hometown, although that's at least 20 years off, and everything I'm seeing indicates that the market is already nearing saturation.

Yes! I've been getting that one a bunch lately, too. Currently, I brew what I want, when I want. I don't want this fun hobby to become a chore/job.

That said, my retirement dream is to open a combination Brewpub/LHBS back in my hometown, although that's at least 20 years off, and everything I'm seeing indicates that the market is already nearing saturation.

I get the "We should start a brewery" every now and again. It is fun to imagine, but I do not see myself even considering it seriously until I am a much better brewer, actually find the time to brew as much as I want to, and have a healthy amount of money put away just in case.

Funny, the one I usually hear is "I don't like bitter/hoppy beer" as though homebrewers can't possibly limit their hops or brew different kinds. Then again, these are the same people who think everything you'd get at a local craft brewery is going to be bitter/hoppy.
About 3 years before I started brewing I wasn't so fond of the hoppy/bitter beers, as though they were directly related. Now I know better. And have grown to like both. Oh how the times change.
I love the "you must be drunk all the time". I'm like nope, I drink maybe 2-5 pints a week. I make beer every 2 months.
I get this one mostly from coworkers. While I usually have 2 servings a night, it is far from being smashed all the time as per the accusations. The part that really annoys me is when it comes up in conversation that I had 6 or 8 in a day; being from (with) lunch right until after dinner and point fingers. Then claim "The most I have is 4 or 5 when I'm at the club". I follow that up immediately with "And over how many hours did that take place?" </conversation>.

"Yea I tried brewing beer once... (Goes into vague detail about horrible tasting beers they made with a Mr. Beer kit) ... but I never could make anything good."

"I've thought about making beer but I'm afraid of going blind or getting sick. Isn't there a lot that can go wrong?"

"Nah, I'm not going to try even one sip of your beer out of courtesy because I don't like the taste of beer, can you make me a mixed drink or can you open that expensive bottle of wine over there?"

"How long does it take to make beer? Wow, that short huh? I thought you had to age it for months!"

"What does this one tastes like? I love craft beers. Is it anything like (insert random craft beer here that is most likely the only craft beer this person has ever had in their life)?"

on the "drunk a lot" topic: I worked in a steel yard many years ago. I busted my a$$ and worked my way up to assistant manager of shipping/receiving. tattoos, mohawk, and all. that meant I had to go to the Friday manager meetings. during one meeting, one of the other department managers asked, "So, you party last night? Get pretty drunk, did ya?" where I replied, "It was just a standard night. Drank a ton of beer, did a bunch of shots, did some lines of coke off strippers. Sounds pretty ridiculous, right?" I think he got the point.

I got another one of these yesterday: "won't that s*** kill you or make you go blind, if you screw it up?"

yep, will make me blind if I screw up like drinking a whole keg while watching a ball game on tv... cause the lights will go off for sure:D

Not really annoying, but my neighbor says I look like a mad scientist out there. He doesn't have any problem drinking what I make though.

-ben

It never ceases to amaze me how people confuse that distilling bit with home brew. It's the first & last runnings that are methyl alcohol & poisonous.

sucks that you can't make Bud...

Like I'd want to, first of all. Secondly it can't be that hard. Just buy the cheapest grain from the worst supplier use any kind of ale yeast and dump as much beechwood as you can fit into the carboy and let it ferment for 3 days. Then cold filter it 4 times to make sure there is no flavor left.

Like I'd want to, first of all. Secondly it can't be that hard. Just buy the cheapest grain from the worst supplier use any kind of ale yeast and dump as much beechwood as you can fit into the carboy and let it ferment for 3 days. Then cold filter it 4 times to make sure there is no flavor left.

Sure, but can you make it the same every time and from breweries in different locations? It may not be what you or I would want to brew but I'll give them their due respect.

"Let's have a party, and you can bring the beer." Uh, no. Homebrew isn't necessarily expensive, but it's not free either. With all the equipment you have to buy, it can get expensive, not to mention all the time invested. I will gladly trade though.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Everything that I have heard about Budweiser (including comments from former AB brewers such as Mitch Steele who have every reason to throw them under the bus) have said that their ingredients, brewing methods and quality control are all top notch. You might not like the product but implying that they use cheap, inferior supplies is unfair criticism. The fact that they can make Budweiser, in the quantities that they make it, taste exactly the same across 13 different breweries is a commendable feat.

Now their advertising and political practices are (in my opinion) reprehensible and is reason enough to hate on Budweiser. But if you are going to hate on a company, at least do it for the right reasons.

Everything that I have heard about Budweiser (including comments from former AB brewers such as Mitch Steele who have every reason to throw them under the bus) have said that their ingredients, brewing methods and quality control are all top notch. You might not like the product but implying that they use cheap, inferior supplies is unfair criticism. The fact that they can make Budweiser, in the quantities that they make it, taste exactly the same across 13 different breweries is a commendable feat.

Now their advertising and political practices are (in my opinion) reprehensible and is reason enough to hate on Budweiser. But if you are going to hate on a company, at least do it for the right reasons.

When the Germans bought out Budweiser they put buds longest running grain suppliers out if business because they found a cheaper alternative. They no longer use specific hops farms either. Everything is generic and cheap. The only quality control they have is wether or not it tastes like bud. If it fails that quality test then they call it keystone. Thy use beechwood, not to add flavor but to add surface area so that the fermentation process can be sped up. And they do triple cold filter, for flavor, which in my experience reduces certain flavor properties. All that aside I hate Budweiser because it tastes like ****.

Everything that I have heard about Budweiser (including comments from former AB brewers such as Mitch Steele who have every reason to throw them under the bus) have said that their ingredients, brewing methods and quality control are all top notch.

But if you are going to hate on a company, at least do it for the right reasons.

If you consider rice a top notch ingredient, then more power to you. I don't know what the hell they call it if they try to sell it in Germany (or Belgium), but they can't legally call it beer since it's made with rice.

I was researching yeasts for my 2nd version of my dampfbier yesterday & spotted Budvar yeast. That might be interesting to try when I get some temp control setup. The recipe for the original Budvar might be fun to try.

Yeah, the cheap crappy ingredients go into Busch and Natty :fro:

If you read the style guide for Lite American Lager, it becomes clear why it is hard to make. It specifically stipulates very low malt flavor, very low hop presence of any kind, and very low yeast character. Basically, your goal must be to make beer without any flavors of any kind sneaking in. It takes just the right kind of ingredients and process to accomplish such a feat.

If you read the style guide for Lite American Lager, it becomes clear why it is hard to make. It specifically stipulates very low malt flavor, very low hop presence of any kind, and very low yeast character. Basically, your goal must be to make beer without any flavors of any kind sneaking in. It takes just the right kind of ingredients and process to accomplish such a feat.

Basically high fructose corn syrup and unfiltered water. Filter out any hop flavor whatsoever and then have a fleet of Clydesdales piss in the tank for top off.… :)

Budweiser isn't what I'd choose to make. But it isn't offensive to me; I'll buy it with a clear conscience when I don't have a homebrew within reach.

I'd rather have a Budweiser than a Leinenkugel Shandy or a Bud Light Lime. Both are undrinkable IMO.

Back