Most annoying response when you tell someone you're a homebrewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh you brew beer?
"Disgusted face" Oh go to hell with your homemade wine from a kit!
"Cool, can you explain to me how you do that?", then space out and not interested after 30 seconds of explanation. Y u do dis?
"You brew pales? I don't like pales" (Referring to bitter beers like IPAs) Wut?
"Can I try one? And then not say a single word about it" I bet if I hand you a Coors Light you'll be happy?

Mostly I get positive responses, but the annoying one I get lately is, "Oh, cool. Can I have some? But only sours. I only drink sours and bretts."

Yeah, because that Flanders Red I've been patiently and meticulously aging in my cellar for two years, *that's* the one I want you to take. Don't even bother *sampling* my easy-to-make wham-bam done-in-three-weeks saison, which is equally delicious.

People always ask how much beer I make. I tell them I make five gallons a month, and currently have fifty gallons stored in my cellar.
They always respond, "Wow! You must drink a lot of beer!"
And I say, "Nope. If I drank as fast as I brew, it wouldn't all still be in my cellar."

How are you cellaring? That's a hell of a lot of containers no matter how you slice it...

Mostly I get positive responses, but the annoying one I get lately is, "Oh, cool. Can I have some? But only sours. I only drink sours and bretts."

Yeah, because that Flanders Red I've been patiently and meticulously aging in my cellar for two years, *that's* the one I want you to take. Don't even bother *sampling* my easy-to-make wham-bam done-in-three-weeks saison, which is equally delicious.

I'm conflicted on this. On the one hand, I know people who only drink porters and stouts, and it doesn't seem like it should be rude that they're telling you what they like...

...but on the other hand, sours and bretts are the new ultra-hipster beer and the way you portrayed it makes me think about an annoying ****ass with a full beard he isn't old enough or man enough to operate, a skinny tee shirt with a beer pun on it, and total denial about that period he only drank IPAs back before everyone was drinking them.

I'm conflicted on this. On the one hand, I know people who only drink porters and stouts, and it doesn't seem like it should be rude that they're telling you what they like...

...but on the other hand, sours and bretts are the new ultra-hipster beer and the way you portrayed it makes me think about an annoying ****ass with a full beard he isn't old enough or man enough to operate, a skinny tee shirt with a beer pun on it, and total denial about that period he only drank IPAs back before everyone was drinking them.
It's more that they're people who don't realize that sours take a whole bunch of time, and that maybe if I'm being nice enough to offer you free beer, you shouldn't ask for the most demanding one.

It's like offering to buy somebody lunch and them ordering the surf and turf.

How are you cellaring? That's a hell of a lot of containers no matter how you slice it...
5 gallons of it is a Flanders Red that's bulk cellaring in a carboy.
The rest is in bottles. Last count I was at about 296 bottles, mostly bombers and 750s, but some 12s and 500s.

This is most of my cellar. There's another shelf over to the left.

19250405_10211520965792547_4484359888157027269_o.jpg

5 gallons of it is a Flanders Red that's bulk cellaring in a carboy.
The rest is in bottles. Last count I was at about 296 bottles, mostly bombers and 750s, but some 12s and 500s.

This is most of my cellar. There's another shelf over to the left.

I call foul. It's obviously a Photoshop effort.

Nobody has a basement that neat and well organized.

Ha! Not photoshopped, but definitely a selective photo. I keep the finished stuff pretty organized, but if I turned the camera around so you could see the part of the cellar where I keep the empties and my gear, you'd see the chaos.

Let's see if I'm organized enough that I can remember what they all are. Left shelf on top is Concord Grape Helles Lager (don't ask), Berliner Weisse, second shelf is DIPA (I say DIPA, but at 9.4% it came out more like an American Barleywine) and Dogwood Pilsner, Bottom shelf is Irish Stout and a vacant spot I'm reserving for the Australian Sparking Ale that's upstairs til it's done carbonating. THe right-hand shelf is on top Maple Vienna Lager and Anise/Cardamom Baltic Porter, second shelf is Rauchbier, bottom shelf is Hoppy Farmhouse and cider. Off to the left, not pictured, are a Cherry Black Saison, an Orange Coriander Saison, Scottish Ale, and Nutmeg & Rum milk stout.

Early last year, on a trip to Barcelona, I was amazed at how good even the very low-priced wines were, especially since I was never that successful finding great Spanish wines in the USA. But then I found a pub just a few blocks from my hotel selling Belgian beer for about 4 Euros a bottle. So I reverted back to beer drinking.

My girlfriend and I went to Barcelona this spring, and found the exact same thing. We actually went into a corner store and bought the cheapest one we could find just to see what it was like. Turns our 2 EUR wine can be pretty good :mug: We later had a 4 EUR one that wasn't great.... so doubling the price is no way to ensure quality!

20 cases. That's nothing if you're expecting a baby!

I think I had double that when my wife conceived. I knew that the baby would have canc'd the brewing so I prepared for that.

I think I had close to 200 gallons! Roughly 80 cases.

And annoyed wife.. ... Brewed every week sometimes twice a week.

Pfft. I just had a new baby 3 months ago. I'd only 2 kegs to see me through and when they kicked on the 6th week I just started brewing again.

Most people are great. Many are curious, and some -more than I originally expected - are interested in trying some (without knowing what I'm even brewing). I've had some bathtub comments like everyone else, but they were for the most part intelligent people that knew they didn't know how it was done poking fun with an age-old joke that they knew everyone else would take as a joke.

There is one that bothers me the most, though, and it applies to more than just homebrewing, but craft as well. And that's the "I like craft/micro/dark/special/[insert term for non-macro here] beer but I could never drink more than one." OK... you don't have to drink 10, pal. Guess what? Most of the time I'm just having one, too.

It's just the ignorance of the entire thing that gets me. It's like they think beer is only a conduit to getting drunk, which I get if they only have knowledge about BMC type beers, but c'mon.

Then there is my mother-in-law with her "whatever happened to normal beer like Miller Lite?" Everytime she says that I want to tell her to crawl out of her suburban shell and realize it's 2017 and that kind of talk just sounds soooo ignorant.

Then there is my mother-in-law with her "whatever happened to normal beer like Miller Lite?" Everytime she says that I want to tell her to crawl out of her suburban shell and realize it's 2017 and that kind of talk just sounds soooo ignorant.

She probably is like mine. Only serves white bread at the table. The chili is like tomato soup with hamburger and kidney beans. Doesn't really season anything.

Ugh, don't get me started on my mother-in-law. She's one of those people that wants to believe she's cultured and some kind of gourmand, but... isn't. She says all the time, "We may not be rich, but we sure eat well!" Which always leads into some discussion of some food she ate or made, and she always manages to squeeze in the phrase, "Groan It was so good..." with every other breath (just so you really know that it was good!).

Makes me insane. And the food on the table is always terrible.

But it does remind me of something beer related! They do an Oktoberfest party every fall, which I've managed to avoid completely so far. Much as I love Oktoberfest, I don't need drunk in-law time. Apparently last year, my sister-in-law's boyfriend, who is a lot like my mother-in-law with regard to food, was wandering around the party with a container of hop cones offering to drop them into people's beers to improve the aroma. I don't know what kind they were. I don't want to know what kind they were. I want no part in this. The guy has made one or two batches of homebrew, and the only aromas he's adding to the party are "beer snob" and "moron."

When my sister-in-law graduated from college in December, we went to their apartment for a little party after the ceremony. He had some decent beer in the fridge, and I found a corner to hide in. Fine. A little while in, sure enough, he pulls out the same dusty container of hop cones from his spice cabinet and come trotting over. "Do I want to try adding fresh hops to your beer?" No, I do not want your cheesy saaz hops (or whatever the **** they were) in my IPA. Get the **** out.

I don't talk about homebrewing with my in-laws, and I spare myself the responses.

I don't talk about homebrewing with my in-laws, and I spare myself the responses.
That's a shame. My in-laws are great beer people. My brother-in-law is a homebrewer. He kegs a lot of pales, cream ales... party beers. I bottle a lot of lagers and high abv dark storage beers. So we swap equipment, give each other unused ingredients... it's great.

My parents-in-law are good open-minded and appreciative tasters. My mother-in-law doesn't drink a lot, but she'll try anything once, and she tends to enjoy my lighter pilsners and things. My father-in-law is big on dark beers and will try anything three times. He enjoys giving me tasting notes. They're not always the most helpful notes, but he enjoys doing it. They're both big on cider, too, and have their own apple trees and cider press, so last year they gave me half their production to ferment.

It's a nice relationship, especially since my side of the family is all tea-totalers. I actually like my in-laws. Truth be told, I'd rather spend time with the wife's family than my own.

Truth be told, I'd rather spend time with the wife's family than my own.

Well, aren't you the lucky one...

I don't get along with my wife's family, but my sister's husband is one of my best friends. He was a dedicated Busch Lite drinker until I introduced him to craft beer. He doesn't homebrew, but we have a lot of fun trying new beers and sharing my homebrew.

So, I certainly can agree that having family to share the hobby with can be great! Now if only I could get him to plant an orchard and give me half the cider! That sounds great!

That's a shame. My in-laws are great beer people. My brother-in-law is a homebrewer. He kegs a lot of pales, cream ales... party beers. I bottle a lot of lagers and high abv dark storage beers. So we swap equipment, give each other unused ingredients... it's great.

My parents-in-law are good open-minded and appreciative tasters. My mother-in-law doesn't drink a lot, but she'll try anything once, and she tends to enjoy my lighter pilsners and things. My father-in-law is big on dark beers and will try anything three times. He enjoys giving me tasting notes. They're not always the most helpful notes, but he enjoys doing it. They're both big on cider, too, and have their own apple trees and cider press, so last year they gave me half their production to ferment.

It's a nice relationship, especially since my side of the family is all tea-totalers. I actually like my in-laws. Truth be told, I'd rather spend time with the wife's family than my own.

My FIL and I started brewing together about 8 years ago. Moved away about 5 years ago but we both always bring whatever we have to share (and save at least a bottle of the really good ones for someone who will appreciate them!) whenever we get together. I love spending time with them and the birthday/ Christmas presents are usually beer related, like the full on Mancan setup they gave me! Imagine that, a way to share more beer with them!

She probably is like mine. Only serves white bread at the table. The chili is like tomato soup with hamburger and kidney beans. Doesn't really season anything.

Makes me insane. And the food on the table is always terrible.

Truth be told, I'd rather spend time with the wife's family than my own.

My in-laws are 'great' cooks, according to SWMBO, who if left unsupervised would find a way to burn a pot of water. My MLs secret chili recipe is some canned chili which she adds powdered garlic to and a little bit of ground beef and they all go crazy for it!

We were out at a nice restaurant for some event and FL wanted to try 'one of them fancy exotic beers!'. He then asks me what heineken and stellas tastes like and orders a bud light lime.

Every year for Christmas dinner (I pray for the day to come we move out of state so I no longer have to endure that dinner..) they cook a 12-15 pound prime rib roast. I spent many years working in a butcher shop so I would always hand pick them the best one I come across in the week or two prior and let it dry age. Not any more. Not ONE of them enjoys even a little bit of pink in their beef so it gets cooked WAY past well done, and they all continue to rant and rave over how good it is while they douse it in A1.

We go over there for New Years Eve to play cards and dominos. Everyone is getting drunk on rum and coke and I usually bring a couple 4 packs of top shelf high % beers to enjoy. Nobody ever wants to taste one but asks what they're like. After the first couple of times I learned it is all WAY over their heads so regardless of style, I tell them its 'like a budweiser but it tastes better' and they all say 'oh well hell, I don't know where you find something better than budweiser, but we've got plenty of rum if you get tired of it!'---I hate liquor, and they all know it...Truth be told, I'd rather be sentenced to solitary confinement than spend more time than I have to with the in-laws! *sigh* sorry for that vent session, this is the only place I can blow off some steam about them lol! I need a beer :mug:

Pfft. I just had a new baby 3 months ago. I'd only 2 kegs to see me through and when they kicked on the 6th week I just started brewing again.

LOL. I brewed 10 gallons right before my daughter was born, so I probably had 12 or 3 gallons in my kegs when she came out.

It ran out and I haven't had time to brew since. And she's over 2 now!!! :ban:

Every year for Christmas dinner (I pray for the day to come we move out of state so I no longer have to endure that dinner..) they cook a 12-15 pound prime rib roast. I spent many years working in a butcher shop so I would always hand pick them the best one I come across in the week or two prior and let it dry age. Not any more. Not ONE of them enjoys even a little bit of pink in their beef so it gets cooked WAY past well done, and they all continue to rant and rave over how good it is while they douse it in A1.

My God... They're animals!

We go over there for New Years Eve to play cards and dominos. Everyone is getting drunk on rum and coke and I usually bring a couple 4 packs of top shelf high % beers to enjoy. Nobody ever wants to taste one but asks what they're like. After the first couple of times I learned it is all WAY over their heads so regardless of style, I tell them its 'like a budweiser but it tastes better' and they all say 'oh well hell, I don't know where you find something better than budweiser, but we've got plenty of rum if you get tired of it!'---I hate liquor, and they all know it...Truth be told, I'd rather be sentenced to solitary confinement than spend more time than I have to with the in-laws! *sigh* sorry for that vent session, this is the only place I can blow off some steam about them lol! I need a beer :mug:

This sounds right.

I feel your pain, brother! Clearly, you and me should just hang out for the holidays and tell the in-laws to go to Hell. You bring the prime rib, and I'll bring the beer!

I grew up on a beef farm, still have ties to a dairy farm. I like my beef well done. Not burned, but preferably not pink. Never red. And I will never apologize for that.

I do share your disapproval for dousing it in A1, though. If the beef is good enough I don't want to season it much, it has nothing to hide.

I swear that SO many people think they're good cooks for the same reason so many homebrewers think they're the next Fritz Maytag -- ugly baby syndrome.

And they get the external validation of their cooking the same way that bad homebrewers get external validation of their homebrew acumen: "Oh, this is really good!" <spits it out behind their back and grabs a Budweiser>

I think most people just don't have the mindset to excel at either endeavor, and those who DO have the mindset for one take to the other very quickly.

I swear that SO many people think they're good cooks for the same reason so many homebrewers think they're the next Fritz Maytag -- ugly baby syndrome.

And they get the external validation of their cooking the same way that bad homebrewers get external validation of their homebrew acumen: "Oh, this is really good!"

I think most people just don't have the mindset to excel at either endeavor, and those who DO have the mindset for one take to the other very quickly.

The mid west baby boomers grew up on bland chili and spaghetti sauce without garlic and aromatic herbs/spices, tacos with ground beef, onion, lettuce tomato and cheddar in a hard shell. Oscar Meyer Hot dogs on Jewel Brand buns covered with ketchup and mustard..

My ML makes tacos this way. Hard shell tacos, first layer is ground beef, next is cole slaw. That's it. My wife loves it, because that's what she grew up with eating.

I think it's also the fact that lot of older people aren't mobile. My in-laws have lived in the same town, same house, for 50 years. They haven't experienced other culinary norms by being away from the comfort zone of what that they call home for any considerable length of time. (Vacation doesn't count) Everything is measured by that home rule or standard.

I have cousin's that have NEVER lived outside of Chicago in 60+ years. One has never lived more 60 ft from her mother's house. I'm sure they like the Chicago dawg, Italian Beefs, and Gyros though.

All seriousness, I think BMC is synonymous with white bread. If you talk light BMC then it's just like wonder bread.

That's basically the same standard of good beer applied to food. Plain is the way I like it. Don't **** with my beer or my food.

OT. Question....

How many of you in your early drinking years bought a six pack of something good and then got a case of swill for drinking later when taste doesn't matter? - LOL

Digging back in deep disturbed memory..... I once bought a case of Black Label with pennies. That was in 1984.... I needed like 855 pennies. Had to count them on the counter with a line watching. They were all loose out of a jar. - Me thinking... FYMF's - I needs me some beer!!!

587928ecb6eea0e16f8b1760bfc9a939--beer-memes-beer-quotes.jpg

Heathen! Back to the pit! LOL Sear the steak, get the center to body temp... prime rib needs a good sear crust and should be 120 degrees in the center. Pass me some good homemade french bread to sop up the juices!

I grew up on a beef farm, still have ties to a dairy farm. I like my beef well done. Not burned, but preferably not pink. Never red. And I will never apologize for that.

I do share your disapproval for dousing it in A1, though. If the beef is good enough I don't want to season it much, it has nothing to hide.

I grew up eating bland food, once I moved out the chili peppers and spices came out along with cookbooks from around the world! I love good food and sure Mom can make a good meal(her turkey stuffing IS really good, well spiced) but it is typical Norwegian/Swedish bland otherwise.

Friend made Carol Shelby chili mix when I was 18 and we were chowing down in the garage working on his Mustang. Hot, spicy(but to much heat from only red pepper) and so tasty compared to hamburger tomato soup mom waved the chili powder can over that was 10 years old and had zero flavor left. From then on I went all out for learning to make better food, even catered BBQ for 6 years that got raves from friends down south(No they didn't spit it out, more like I had no leftovers...). I make a decent Asian stir fry, buy spices by the 1/2 pound... I love to cook and friends never turn down a meal!

Heathen! Back to the pit! LOL Sear the steak, get the center to body temp... prime rib needs a good sear crust and should be 120 degrees in the center. Pass me some good homemade french bread to sop up the juices!

I helped raise steers for a good portion of my life, so I will have my beef prepared any way I dang well please. :mug:

I prefer well done. Never used A1. Prime rib is awesome after a stint on the grill.

My in-laws are the exact same way. Super bland food, no creativity, and worst of all - they're basically against drinking. For no reason. If you've had more than 3 beers in a day, you've probably had more drinks than my MIL has had her entire life... shame. It's weird, if you managed to get past the awkwardness of drinking a single beverage around my wife family, they think you're an alcoholic for getting another. Seriously, they asked my wife that once... smh. They honestly believe that ONE drink gets you blasted drunk...

That's what's the most annoying response to talking about homebrewing. Just blankly staring because they literally don't know what beer or alcohol IS or the first thing about it. Pure ignorance.

My in-laws are the exact same way. Super bland food, no creativity, and worst of all - they're basically against drinking. For no reason. If you've had more than 3 beers in a day, you've probably had more drinks than she's had her entire life... shame. It's weird, if you managed to get past the awkwardness of drinking a single beverage around them, they think you're an alcoholic for getting another. Seriously, they asked my wife that once... smh.

That's what's the most annoying response to talking about homebrewing. Just blankly staring because they literally don't know what beer IS or the first thing about it. Pure ignorance.
My mom is a teetotaler, and I convinced her to try a sip (like literally one sip) of my 6% saison once. She was really worried about whether she should drive. As in almost made me call her a cab. She was like a high school freshman at a party. "Am I drunk yet? I don't feel any different. Is that what drunk feels like?"

prefer mine on the well side of medium, but have a fairly wide latitude of acceptable doneness.

no A1, ever.

the BigHair makes an awesomely tasty merlot garlic mushroom dish, once in a while I'll stab a mushroom, then a bite of steak. about as close as I'll get to putting anything on it

the BigHair makes an awesomely tasty merlot garlic mushroom dish, once in a while I'll stab a mushroom, then a bite of steak. about as close as I'll get to putting anything on it

merlot garlic mushroom??? Sounds tasty....

My mother doesn't drink beer at all - and I've tried a few times with something different - she rarely makes it past the first sip.
My dad drinks craft, but only buys one brand, SN torpedo (can't really complain about that) but he'll try anything I bring out.

Back