Most annoying response when you tell someone you're a homebrewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I try to make enough beer I'm have no compunction with giving it to people who won't appreciate it. A lot of people don't know what they like until they try it.

I brought a 2-liter each of dunkelweizen and belgian blond (thanks, carbonater caps) to a work thing, and the 70yo guy who works the phones wouldn't stop raving about it. Probably the first time he's had a non-BMC. Of course the rest of the time I was explaining to people about belgian yeasts (no, there are no spices, that's the yeast) and why no, it doesn't really taste much like a blue moon...

But they killed it before they did the fat tire, so I'm chalking it as a win.

So I had one the other day. My wife gave one of her coworkers husband some of my homebrews. When I ran into him he told me they were really good then said "I just wanted to thank you for not making it weird. Seems like homebrewers are always putting weird stuff in their beer."

Now I don't know this guy very well, but I am willing to bet his experience with drinking homebrew is limited to what my wife has given him of mine and that is probably it. Maybe he had a buddy making some 'experimental' brews but I doubt he has much exposure to the homebrew community and instead was basing his judgement of homebrew based on stigma.

I just hate that most people think homebrewers are like that dude from the BW3 commercial.

So I had one the other day. My wife gave one of her coworkers husband some of my homebrews. When I ran into him he told me they were really good then said "I just wanted to thank you for not making it weird. Seems like homebrewers are always putting weird stuff in their beer."

Now I don't know this guy very well, but I am willing to bet his experience with drinking homebrew is limited to what my wife has given him of mine and that is probably it. Maybe he had a buddy making some 'experimental' brews but I doubt he has much exposure to the homebrew community and instead was basing his judgement of homebrew based on stigma.

I just hate that most people think homebrewers are like that dude from the BW3 commercial.

I've gotten that one before too. Some people are just weirded out at the prospect of there being fruit, spices, or other adjuncts in their beer (without even trying it). Sometimes I'll just tell them the style at first, then if they notice other flavors, then I'll elaborate on the ingredients.

Maybe that's dishonest, but sometimes people need to sample something with no preconceptions to cloud their judgment.

I don't know, man, I know a guy who mostly does kit brews and isn't that experienced, but when he decides to go off kits he's always making some kind of peanut butter cocoa caramel banana bacon stout. Just pouring crap from his pantry into his kettle. And he's always like, "I don't know why, but my last beer didn't turn out so great."

But as I said I also had trouble convincing someone there wasn't any kind of spice in my beer, that it's just belgian yeast character--so I think some people have other misconceptions about how much you can do to make two beers different without putting tamarind and paprika and clove in it or something. Amateur "specialty beers" are usually bad.

Great Thread...

It invokes my experiences with some people (including family members!) who every time I bring a six pack or two will sip a little and make a scrunched up face and try to get a rise out of me saying it's not that good.

Then I will offer the exact same beer to others, and they quiz me on when I'm planning to go into business!

It makes me really appreciate the time spent with other home brewers who understand the craft, and the commitment, and the joy of making beautiful beer. It's an art.

I don't know, man, I know a guy who mostly does kit brews and isn't that experienced, but when he decides to go off kits he's always making some kind of peanut butter cocoa caramel banana bacon stout. Just pouring crap from his pantry into his kettle. And he's always like, "I don't know why, but my last beer didn't turn out so great."

But as I said I also had trouble convincing someone there wasn't any kind of spice in my beer, that it's just belgian yeast character--so I think some people have other misconceptions about how much you can do to make two beers different without putting tamarind and paprika and clove in it or something. Amateur "specialty beers" are usually bad.

I think I know that guy too :)

I don't do too many recipes with experimental ingredients, but they're usually batches that I just plan on drinking myself or sharing with my few friends that are prepared for such things. That way, the unconverted don't have some off-the-wall brew as their first foray into homebrew and believe that the "bratwurst beer" commercial is true.

Let's make sure we understand... someone liked your beer, but said other homebrewers do weird things. You *assume* he doesn't know what he's talking about and is just making something up.

How is that assumption (that he doesn't know what he's talking about) any different from the random people who make assumptions about home brew (like that it's bad)?

Even without "exposure to the homebrew community" (and excuse me, I just puked a little), maybe he's seen Brew Dogs. There are enough people out there who use odd ingredients that he's not exactly wrong.

Ok, done with my rant!

My sister once said that all homebrew she has had has that "homebrew taste." She did go on to say that mine didn't, so I've got that going for me I guess. :)

That's okay. My sister says they all taste the same... Ranging from lighter stouts to APA's

My sister says they all taste the same... Ranging from lighter stouts to APA's

A couple years ago I tried New Belgium's Lips of Faith Abbey Grand Cru and realized that there was a certain taste in every beer I'd ever had. I didn't realize it was there until I tried the Cru and that taste wasn't there.

That's okay. My sister says they all taste the same... Ranging from lighter stouts to APA's

My wife says the same. I let her try something I think she might like, perhaps a very chocolate stout, or something fruity (sorry here is my man card for trying something fruity). And her response is always the same..."Taste like beer"

A couple years ago I tried New Belgium's Lips of Faith Abbey Grand Cru and realized that there was a certain taste in every beer I'd ever had. I didn't realize it was there until I tried the Cru and that taste wasn't there.

Yeah I mean I have an affinity towards bitter and usually dry. But as for same taste in every beer, I'm not sure I follow "the taste".

My wife says the same. I let her try something I think she might like, perhaps a very chocolate stout, or something fruity (sorry here is my man card for trying something fruity). And her response is always the same..."Taste like beer"

Yeah. It irks me to no end. I'm always like you don't taste the roast, the chocolate, the coffee? "Nope, just beer" :smack:

Well here in Michigan craft breweries are nearly as plentiful as bars in some cities. So we have the perk of having a fairly knowledgeable beer public. The most annoying thing is when they want either some of my brew and dont/will not come to my house to enjoy it with me or hey you should make (insert style here) I love that stuff!

I am a Lucky man and have converted the SWMBO into a Beer Junkie like myself. She loves the stuff. So much I am actually making a 5 gal batch of Irish Stout for her just so I can brew lol :off: I know sorry. But yeah the whole It taste like beer makes me Angry. My brother says the same thing.

I get the "It tastes like beer" response from my wife too, and it is annoying. But to be fair, if someone handed me a glass of wine and asked for my opinion on it, I'm not sure I could do much better.

A while back I made my wife a perfect mint julep using good bourbon, fresh-picked mint leaves muddled in sugar, thoroughly crushed ice, good water, frosted glass and a mint sprig garnish.

Her response? "It's not bad, but I can still taste the whiskey." :smack:

And now I REALLY want to make a peanut butter cocoa caramel banana bacon stout. But Im gonna add wheat to it. Cause Im a homebrewer, and I always change a recipe!

"Sometimes Im right half of the time ...."

I get the "It tastes like beer" response from my wife too, and it is annoying. But to be fair, if someone handed me a glass of wine and asked for my opinion on it, I'm not sure I could do much better.

Yeah. Wine. I could on a good day tell the style. That's it. Flavor picking; I'm at a loss.

I think this is a common problem with brewers, especially new ones. They make one kit and for the 2nd batch decide they need to make up a new recipe for a super high abv kick butt Chocolate Peanut Butter Coffee IPA'sh stout. :)

Although most don't listen, I always suggest to people that they make a clone of a craft beer they like for two reasons:
1. They know they will like the result (if done properly)
2. By brewing a clone, they have a easy way to determine the results of the batch compared to a "known good", and can work on process and technique.

A condescending, "you're 'trailer trash' look" as they walk away.

I haven't gotten that. Of course, most of the people who know I brew are coworkers. And even though most of them are Bud Light drinkers, they all want some of mine; if I gave some to everyone who wants to try it, there wouldn't be any left for me. Even a guy who hasn't had a drink in twenty years asked me if he could get a bottle out of my next batch.

Apparently, those who've actually had some say good things about my beer. On the other hand, there used to be another homebrewer here. He retired about the time I arrived fifteen years ago, and the general consensus is that eventually he managed to make beer that was drinkable. :)

I think this is a common problem with brewers, especially new ones. They make one kit and for the 2nd batch decide they need to make up a new recipe for a super high abv kick butt Chocolate Peanut Butter Coffee IPA'sh stout. :)

Although most don't listen, I always suggest to people that they make a clone of a craft beer they like for two reasons:
1. They know they will like the result (if done properly)
2. By brewing a clone, they have a easy way to determine the results of the batch compared to a "known good", and can work on process and technique.
That's good advice. I've inspired a coworker in his early twenties to try brewing - but in spite of me suggesting that he start with something simple and work up, he insists that his very first batch is going to be a strong smoked porter. Ah well... when he blows it and gives up in disgust, maybe I'll be able to snag some of the fancy equipment he's undoubtedly going to buy.

After trying my beer someone said, "I can't believe this was drinkable."

That's good advice. I've inspired a coworker in his early twenties to try brewing - but in spite of me suggesting that he start with something simple and work up, he insists that his very first batch is going to be a strong smoked porter. Ah well... when he blows it and gives up in disgust, maybe I'll be able to snag some of the fancy equipment he's undoubtedly going to buy.

I have to admit guilt on that. My first beer was an easy Amber Ale. But next had to be a strong bourbon barrel porter. I will say I got lucky though, I tried it side by side with Odell brewing Woodcut #7 and it is very close in flavor.

Still I hope it mellows out as it is only OK (I thought the Woodcut was only OK as well). And now I have 48 bottles tied up waiting. I need to drink faster to keep enough free bottles for the next batch.

I have tried brewing ahead of my learning a few times. Some have worked out, another not so much. I did learn from though, if only not to rush the curve. I also advise new brewers to stick to established recipes. I still use proven recipes, though with slight changes.

I never picked up a how to brew book or anything. I just grab a recipe go to the brewshop and start making beer. It's not like its hard or anything. I learn something everytime. To me it gives me more understanding of what's happening. If I screw something up I can taste where I went wrong. And therefore I can explain to a beer virgin what's going on. Once they have been versed on the style and what to expect from the beer, I tend to get more straightforward opinions from tasters. If they don't like it they can tell me why.

I have to admit guilt on that. My first beer was an easy Amber Ale. But next had to be a strong bourbon barrel porter. I will say I got lucky though, I tried it side by side with Odell brewing Woodcut #7 and it is very close in flavor.

Still I hope it mellows out as it is only OK (I thought the Woodcut was only OK as well). And now I have 48 bottles tied up waiting. I need to drink faster to keep enough free bottles for the next batch.

At least you tried one easy one first....

When the kid I was talking about hired on, I had to train him. Do you know how hard it is to teach someone who isn't really listening, because he already knows everything? ;)

The first morning, he actually started texting someone while I was in the middle of explaining something important. I told him, "if you do that again while I'm talking to you, I'm going to break your thumbs - and maybe your phone while I'm at it."

When the kid I was talking about hired on, I had to train him. Do you know how hard it is to teach someone who isn't really listening, because he already knows everything? ;)

The first morning, he actually started texting someone while I was in the middle of explaining something important. I told him, "if you do that again while I'm talking to you, I'm going to break your thumbs - and maybe your phone while I'm at it."
You didn't show him the door! Was he a close relative?

I think this is a common problem with brewers, especially new ones. They make one kit and for the 2nd batch decide they need to make up a new recipe for a super high abv kick butt Chocolate Peanut Butter Coffee IPA'sh stout.

When I first started, I was doing kits and I would split the batch, do half to recipe and experiment on the other half so I could taste exactly what the difference was. I didn't do anything too radical though - added bourbon vanilla to a cream ale, added blueberries to an American Wheat, that kind of stuff.

We all knew everything when we were 20. We were also invincible, bullet proof and Gods in bed.

By 30 I didn't know near as much.

We all knew everything when we were 20. We were also invincible, bullet proof and Gods in bed.

By 30 I didn't know near as much.

I am constantly amazed at how much I started not knowing everything at around 27. I will be 30 in a few months, and I feel as though I don't know anything at all. Sometimes I wonder how I remember to put my pants on in the morning.

Back