Mosaic Simcoe IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILoveBeer2

Reaction score
This is a recipe I have highly modified from the BYO Kern River Citra IIPA. I've done this one with Citra and Amarillo and was great.

14 lbs 8 oz Great Western Two Row (86.5%)
12.00 oz Crystal 15 (4.5%)
12.00 oz Munich (4.5%)
6.00 oz White Wheat Malt (2.3%)
6.00 oz Honey Malt (2.3%)
1.50 oz Calypso (14.5%) First Wort 57.2 IBU
0.90 oz Mosaic (12.25%) 10 Min 9.9 IBU
1.00 oz Mosaic (12.25%) Whirlpool 30 Mins 11.7 IBU
1.00 pkg Persica WLP299 2 liter starter (Throws peach esters at 70F)
1.00 oz Mosaic Dry Hop 7 days
0.50 oz Simcoe Dry Hop 7 days
1.00 oz Mosaic Dry Hop 3 days
1.00 oz Simcoe Dry Hop 3 days

Total Efficiency 80.00%
Batch Size 6 Gallon
SG 1.081
IBU 78.8
SRM 6.3
Est ABV 8.4%
Mash 152 F 60 min

I am a big fan of FWH and Whirlpools.

I have not had a chance to use Mosaic yet. I'm looking for something fruity with a bit of dank to keep it interesting. What do you think?

I like. I brewed a Simcoe Mosaic IIPA about 3 weeks ago. My grain bill was quite different though. I did half 2-Row and half Golden Promise for the base, a little Aromatic and Crystal 40, and I think a lb of Victory. Really excited to see how it turns out.

Mosaic is the daughter of Simcoe so I'm pretty sure these hops will work nicely together. I did a Mosaic smash that I just cracked a bottle of yesterday and it's definitely a fruity hop (I mostly get orange flavors from it).

I'm curious how this turned out as I am trying to make something similar to Knee Deep Lupulin River, which was originally a collaboration beer brewed with Kern River. All their website says is that it uses Mosaic and Simcoe, with some South American specialty malt (I assume Patagonia).

bleme, did you get any response to this, or did you try a Lupulin River clone yourself?

This is probably my favorite hoppy beer these days, and I'm trying to figure out a malt bill for what the website says is "Color: Liquid Gold" .

Left to my own devices, I'd use like 85% 2-row, and the remaining filled in with say Crystal 20, Vienna, and corn sugar. But that won't probably get the color, which really is pretty amazing in the glass...

No response yet. I even PM'd the OP but no luck. It has been a year since he has posted anything so there is a good chance I'll just have to wing it.

Back