More voltage on my stir plate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaevaVeritas

Reaction score
Hey DIY'ers,

I just finished my DIY stirplate and it turned out well however I am worried the 6V adapter is not giving enough juice. I looked around and I have an 8v that I don't want to destroy and a 12 v I could part with. Does the whirlpool need to touch the bottom?!

See what I have below:

image-1725816076.jpg

Nice build! No, it does not. All you actually want/need is a quarter-sized dimple in the center. A whirlpool like in the photo is way more than you need.

Cheers! :mug:

Thanks! I wanted something simple and cheap. Now I just need to find the appropriate container for my starters...

Universal adapters are good for this BTW. I use a universal adapter with 3-12v range and I use a house dimmer to dial it down (PWM). Gives super fine control.

When I did my stir plate I actually bought a motor controller. By chance I also bought a wall wort that was adjustable from 1.5V to 12V. The fan motor was 12 V. I usually set the voltage at 3V and get a nice little dimple. Don't want to make the yeast dizzy, they might "screw" up my beer :) Tossed the cotroller in the trash.

william_shakes_beer said:
When I did my stir plate I actually bought a motor controller. By chance I also bought a wall wort that was adjustable from 1.5V to 12V. The fan motor was 12 V. I usually set the voltage at 3V and get a nice little dimple. Don't want to make the yeast dizzy, they might "screw" up my beer :) Tossed the cotroller in the trash.

Dig that controller out of the trash and send it to me! Actual motor controls are nice to have around for different projects. I used one on my stir plate but I have a 120v fan. Potentiometers won't hold up and dimmer switches have very little effect on fan speed with my 120v fan. I found a motor control (used, from work) and now my stir plate has major adjustment.

This fits into my current problem. I just finished my stir plate and am having issues getting it to stay rotating past a second. I'm thinking its the 12v plug. Should I go smaller to go slower? I do have a rheostat that is turned down all the way.
thanks,
scott

sashurlow said:
This fits into my current problem. I just finished my stir plate and am having issues getting it to stay rotating past a second. I'm thinking its the 12v plug. Should I go smaller to go slower? I do have a rheostat that is turned down all the way.
thanks,
scott

What is your setup (as far as stir bar size, magnet size and location)?

If your stir bar is being thrown in the first second, I wouldn't think that fan speed is the problem...

Latest posts

Back