more time in fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deborahjm

Reaction score
My first batch of mead was the following

2 cups honey (wildflower)
3 cups black mission figs
water to 1 gallon

I started it Feb 8, 2010, before I found this forum. I followed a recipe for 'wild fermentation' mead.

I did rack it once, and then I bottled it March 10, thinking fermentation had stopped. I had not done any measurements with a hydrometer, because I had not heard of one until I found this site, so I don't know how much things changed.

I decided this morning to make sure I was not creating bottle bombs and opened one. I am using bottles with flip tops, grosch I think they are called. As soon as I opened the bottle, it popped and overflowed with fizz. Tasted great, though. Should I have left it to ferment longer? What should I do at this point?
Thanks for your help!

When did you rack these into the bottles? I assume your primary fermenter had some sort of airlock to let the pressure out?

I'd get those bottles in the fridge asap. You may be in bottle bomb territory already because you did not take any hydrometer readings. You are flying blind. The fridge will stop any more fermentation. Hopefully somebody more experienced can tell you what to do after you get them chilled.

Do you open them one by one to relieve pressure, then pop them back in the fridge? or is this too dangerous?

When did you rack these into the bottles? I assume your primary fermenter had some sort of airlock to let the pressure out?

I'd get those bottles in the fridge asap. You may be in bottle bomb territory already because you did not take any hydrometer readings. You are flying blind. The fridge will stop any more fermentation. Hopefully somebody more experienced can tell you what to do after you get them chilled.

Do you open them one by one to relieve pressure, then pop them back in the fridge? or is this too dangerous?

I bottled them a few days ago...March 10. Yes, the primary did have an airlock.

I did not think about putting them into the fridge. Thanks.

I did open each of the bottles and relieve the pressure after the first one was so sparkly.

Will they age at all in the fridge?

Thanks for your help.

I bottled them a few days ago...March 10. Yes, the primary did have an airlock.

I did not think about putting them into the fridge. Thanks.

I did open each of the bottles and relieve the pressure after the first one was so sparkly.

Will they age at all in the fridge?

Thanks for your help.

No, they won't age in the fridge. Any further fermentation will halt, though, so the bottles shouldn't explode.

It should be noted that if you pull them back out of the fridge and let them warm up that they might start fermenting again, which is what we are all concerned about right now.

It should be noted that if you pull them back out of the fridge and let them warm up that they might start fermenting again, which is what we are all concerned about right now.

Yes thank you. I have a lot to learn and I am happy not to have any explosions. Is it the case then, that taking them out of the fridge and letting them continue to ferment in a gallon carboy with an airlock is not a good option?

And if it is not a good option, is that because they were in the fridge, or it is they should not be exposed to the air if fermentation is going to continue or another reason all together?

Thanks for all the help!

Yes thank you. I have a lot to learn and I am happy not to have any explosions. Is it the case then, that taking them out of the fridge and letting them continue to ferment in a gallon carboy with an airlock is not a good option?

And if it is not a good option, is that because they were in the fridge, or it is they should not be exposed to the air if fermentation is going to continue or another reason all together?

Thanks for all the help!

The second. In order to get them back into the carboy, you'd have some splashing and risk oxidation. Then, you'd have to top off to not allow any headspace, probably with water. An oxidized mead is not what you want. At this point, I'd just settle for not having bottle bombs and let the next batch stay in a carboy for at least 6 months.

The second. In order to get them back into the carboy, you'd have some splashing and risk oxidation. Then, you'd have to top off to not allow any headspace, probably with water. An oxidized mead is not what you want. At this point, I'd just settle for not having bottle bombs and let the next batch stay in a carboy for at least 6 months.

Alrighty then...on to the next batch!
Thank you!

Back