More quick brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That brew log is awesome.

For what it's worth, my last two brew days were accelerated all grain BIAB, but I took the experiment a bit further:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/371027/ez-ipa-v1

This IPA got a 20 minute mash and a 20 minute boil. I didn't stir the mash at all, added FWH to the pot before the bag even finished draining, added the chiller as soon as the boil was going, and didn't wait for any trub to settle before transferring to the fermenter. I took a little time in the middle to keg another batch that I had finished fermenting, but even still the entire brew day took 2 Hours 30 Minutes. Brewhouse efficiency was at 63%.

Tasting Notes - Fairly nice malt profile, a little overpowering on the simcoe. Didn't clear particularly well, but mostly because I rushed it into the keg to be ready for a party. Will 100% brew again, with 0.5oz simcoe adds instead of 1.0.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/382091/hhbc-mini

This one got a 30 minute mash and a 30 minute boil, and I brewed it in an old turkey pot / burner at a friend's house. Hit 80% conversion, 69% brew house, no stirring the mash. When I got to his house he was already steeping the specialty grains for an extract batch. I ended up finishing my batch about 5 minutes before he finished his, and that included my setup and cleanup, and I took some time to order pizza in the middle (2hr30min again).

Tasting notes - this is still in primary but after 5 days I'm at FG. The sample tastes faintly sweet and definitely summery. I brewed it for a club competition, but I think it will be a hit with the family too. Need to carbonate to see if the body and FG/IBU balance stands up to the bubbles.

Wow, that is awesome thanks for sharing. I had another quick thread going but I kind of made an a.. of myself so started a new one. I've seen some quick extract recipes and plenty of quick Mash discussion but not a lot on quick boil. I've got to try that recipe. With the first Wort hop and the whirlpool I'm sure there's plenty ibus. Wouldn't hurt to hit that thing with 4 ounces dry hop for 3 days imo. Any sign of dms or a corny flavor? I suspect no based on your comments. Excited to hear how the brew club likes it

Next club meeting is 8/13, I'll be bringing both in for them to try out, although the IPA keg is emptying out pretty quickly. I am not picking up any DMS, but without the carbonation I find it hard to spot in the nose.

I don't think I'd use the quick process for some of my more complex batches, at least not without modifying the recipe. Short boil is not very good for something that should have low-moderate bittering but no flavor/aroma contribution from the hops. Unless you use hop extract or a very neutral high AA hop I just don't see how you'd accomplish that. Similarly, you won't get the maillard reactions in a short boil, so you might have to compensate by increasing caramel or mellanoidin malt.

Wild cards for my process are clarity and attenuation. I hit conversion pretty quickly based on gravity readings but I wonder if the extended mash rest changes the fermentability or somehow modifies the proteins remaining in solution to help aid clarity.

Next club meeting is 8/13, I'll be bringing both in for them to try out, although the IPA keg is emptying out pretty quickly. I am not picking up any DMS, but without the carbonation I find it hard to spot in the nose.

Looking forward to trying it. Don't Bogart that IPA. I'll be bringing an ice doppelbock, and a honey rye bock. Skipping Brew53 this year due to Kat not being able to go, plus I need to get kegs back from Garry... left then at Beerstock. If they didn't kick, one will have a mango pineapple Berliner Weiss, the other a tropical fruit lemonade. See you on the 13th.

Don't Bogart that IPA.

Well... we ended up doing Brew53 so I missed the club meeting. The IPA mellowed out very well, so well that our cookout on Sunday completely wiped out the keg. I even thought at the start of the party that I should save a pint real quick before everyone got there... My final tasting notes are that the Simcoe settled down by the end of the keg. I will probably still dial it back a little for next time, but this beer was honestly every bit a commercial quality beer using a 20min mash and 20min boil.

I don't care for the blonde personally, but it got strangely good reviews at the party. Take that with a grain of salt until I can get an impartial (sober) observer to try it out. I had a pint and thought the nose was right on, and the front of the flavor was good, but it still came off a bit bitter on the back of the palate / aftertaste.

You're welcome to come by and try out a pint any time!

Curious, how did you adjust water for short boil? makes sense efficiency would still be good. I mean low gravity boiled down to higher gravity, is the same as starting with the hg to begin with, no.

Curious, how did you adjust water for short boil? makes sense efficiency would still be good. I mean low gravity boiled down to higher gravity, is the same as starting with the hg to begin with, no.

I have been calculating my mineral adjustments based on the mash volume and targeting mash pH. I hadn't really given much thought to the reduced boil-off rates having an impact on the final mineral levels, but that is certainly true.

I did a double-batch of Oktoberfest this weekend (60min mash and boil). I had company over so I was glad to have the longer breaks between activity. There is certainly a place for every approach. I think the biggest thing is to not try to rush your brew day. If you only have 1.5 hours, do extract. If you can find 2.5 hours speedyAG works for many styles, if you've got 5 hours free on a weekend, take your time and let that boil churn away.

My thoughts are how are you getting it up to temp so fast and cooling it so fast? I use an ice bath and immersion cooler and it still takes 45 minutes to cool at least.

Yes I know, they don't answer my question though.

I use a 5500w element at 100% for my temp ramps. In a typical 5.5g batch that will be 8 or 9 gallons of liquid.

I did a smaller batch on a gas fryer, same times just less volume.

I use a 50' 1/2 immersion chiller with my 60-70f tap water. While I chill I always whirlpool to speed it up. If I don't have a pump I move the whole chiller up and down like a toilet plunger as fast as I can stand.

Don't forget to do other stuff while you are heating and cooling. Measure, weigh, clean, sanitize, relax...

I use a 5500w element at 100% for my temp ramps. In a typical 5.5g batch that will be 8 or 9 gallons of liquid.

I use a 50' 1/2 immersion chiller with my 60-70f tap water. While I chill I always whirlpool to speed it up. If I don't have a pump I move the whole chiller up and down like a toilet plunger as fast as I can stand.

Don't forget to do other stuff while you are heating and cooling. Measure, weigh, clean, sanitize, relax...

Thanks for the clarification! I need a better immersion chiller, I'm using a 25'x3/8" stainless now. I'm having a hard time finding a 50'x1/2" that isn't so tall that half the coils stick out the top of the wort. In my kettle, 5.5 gallons of wort is around 9" tall.

Thanks for the clarification! I need a better immersion chiller, I'm using a 25'x3/8" stainless now. I'm having a hard time finding a 50'x1/2" that isn't so tall that half the coils stick out the top of the wort. In my kettle, 5.5 gallons of wort is around 9" tall.

Your chilling water temp will make the most difference in your chilling times. Rather than a larger chiller, adding ice to the process and chilling your cooling water knocks the heat down quickly!

Your chilling water temp will make the most difference in your chilling times. Rather than a larger chiller, adding ice to the process and chilling your cooling water knocks the heat down quickly!

I usually make 3-4 gallons of ice to put the kettle in an ice bath while using the immersion chiller through which I run tap water which is usually around 70F. Even with this it still takes 30+ minutes to cool 5.5 gallons to pitching temp. The last 20F are take the longest.

I usually make 3-4 gallons of ice to put the kettle in an ice bath while using the immersion chiller through which I run tap water which is usually around 70F. Even with this it still takes 30+ minutes to cool 5.5 gallons to pitching temp. The last 20F are take the longest.

Are you moving the chiller around while you run it?

Are you moving the chiller around while you run it?

Usually not, I try to leave the top on the kettle to avoid getting bacteria and/or foreign yeast in the wort. I do stir it every 5 minutes or so.

Thinking of going with a plate chiller, but my tap water wouldn't be cold enough to cool the wort to pitch temps in one pass.

Exact same. 220v 5500w element, chiller gangam style. Full volume. Great question petrolspice and look forward to talking quick brewing with you.

Usually not, I try to leave the top on the kettle to avoid getting bacteria and/or foreign yeast in the wort. I do stir it every 5 minutes or so.

Thinking of going with a plate chiller, but my tap water wouldn't be cold enough to cool the wort to pitch temps in one pass.

My ic is the cheapest smallest you can find. When I dont move it around it takes 40mins. When i get to it by moving it up down rapidly its less then 10. Make sure you use an outside spigot and not too long hose. Turn it up as fast as you can get it and move the chiller up and down till it's cold. Imo you dont need ice or anything. This method works.

My ic is the cheapest smallest you can find. When I dont move it around it takes 40mins. When i get to it by moving it up down rapidly its less then 10. Make sure you use an outside spigot and not too long hose. Turn it up as fast as you can get it and move the chiller up and down till it's cold. Imo you dont need ice or anything. This method works.

Nailed it

Here is a brew log of more quick all grain brewing. Surprised it was so fast. I think the 30 minutes I save with 45 min. boil and mash matter. This was a Munich Dunkel with saf 34/70 ferment at ale temps.

this is awesome! I think a lot of us could cut some time from our brewday, no need to make it more complicated than necessary.

You should check out this post from brulosophy on their short and shoddy 1-hour all-grain brewday:
http://brulosophy.com/2015/11/12/short-shoddy-my-1-hour-all-grain-brew-day/

EDIT:
and today brulosophy posted their 4th "Short and Shoddy" brew, NE IPA:

http://brulosophy.com/2016/08/18/short-shoddy-pt-4-northeastnew-england-style-pale-ale/

Good info. I'll try this next time!

Unless you have 83F ground water temps like I do. Then ice is necessary if you want to get to pitching temp. Unless you just let it coast down in a fermentation chamber.

How you been wine? Appreciate all your help over time. Yeah no doubt. Was definitely talking to him specifically on temps he gave. One time while back, I was going to say something critical about using ice and overworking the process, then realized if your tap water is hot then how the hell else are you going to do it. Funny lot of times in Mexico, people will ask does your tap water run cold. Easy to take for granted

this is awesome! I think a lot of us could cut some time from our brewday, no need to make it more complicated than necessary.

You should check out this post from brulosophy on their short and shoddy 1-hour all-grain brewday:
http://brulosophy.com/2015/11/12/short-shoddy-my-1-hour-all-grain-brew-day/

EDIT:
and today brulosophy posted their 4th "Short and Shoddy" brew, NE IPA:

http://brulosophy.com/2016/08/18/short-shoddy-pt-4-northeastnew-england-style-pale-ale/

Man, thank you so much. Compliments for breaking the norm are hard to come by. On this thread there are some real masters of quick Brewing. Wilser not only makes killer bags but is a serious quick brewer. The short and shoddy is one of my favorite episodes. I'm so excited to hear a new one, I haven't heard it yet. Brulosophy is the spirit behind so much of what I do. You should check out my thread on temperature reproach. This is why I tried making a Dunkel with ale fermentation Temps. After reading a bunch I settled on 45 minutes as not too fast not too slow. But if I go to 30 minute I think I could get two hours. All I need to do is to finally get a hydrometer to make sure I'm getting good efficiency. But the bigger part of me says screw it people get good efficiency with 30 min. mashes. And I'll just make it drink it down and make another one anyways. Also thrown in a couple pounds extra grain could make up for slightly less efficiency. Anyways cheers

Jake's results are 100% in line with what I experienced. Not a soul commented on a flavor or smell that would have pointed to brew day flaws in my batches.

Jake's results are 100% in line with what I experienced. Not a soul commented on a flavor or smell that would have pointed to

That's it, I gotta trust this and go to 20 minutes. Wilser i know you know 20 min quick brewing better than most. Also, I know you've told me a thousand times but for the good of all how about one more time. Thoughts on 15 min mash and boil? Would it matter if I just stirred the mash for 20 minutes? Seems to me that a high gravity less volume wort is the same as low gravity boiled down to High Gravity.

Jake's results are 100% in line with what I experienced. Not a soul commented on a flavor or smell that would have pointed to

That's it, I gotta trust this and go to 20 minutes. Wilser i know you know 20 min quick brewing better than most. Also, I know you've told me a thousand times but for the good of all how about one more time. Thoughts on 15 min mash and boil? Would it matter if I just stirred the mash for 20 minutes? Seems to me that a high gravity less volume wort is the same as low gravity boiled down to High Gravity.

I've tried shorter mashes and what I found was that a 10 minute mash got me conversion but did not fully extract flavor from the caramel malts. That took about 20 minutes so I don't go shorter than 20 and don't recommend less than 30 to anyone else. Shorter boils may not get the bittering you expect either. Isomerizing the hop oils takes a bit of time. Approach the short boil cautiously.

I'm with RM-MN on the cautious approach. I picked the IPA because I knew it had a malt bill that should be pretty friendly on conversion, and the hop schedule from my 60 minute version was basically 0 hops until 20 minutes anyway. The big wildcard was the lack of protein change during the boil, which I worried would thin and dry everything out while also ruining the clarity.

In the end, the clarity was pretty bad but the flavor was good. I'm going to try adding a little more calcium into the boil next time and see if I can get a nicer hot break. The recent Brulo article has me considering high-krausen dry hopping, which seems like a fun experiment and easy to do on a short brew batch. I will probably also hit the beer with gelatin before kegging just to hurry things along.

Regarding RM-MN's comment on bittering in short boil, I actually have been feeling like I get more perceived IBU than the standard calculators suggest I have. My blonde definitely has more lingering bitterness than I want right now, which may mellow with cold storage, but I'd rather be drinkable right out of the gate. "Approach the short boil cautiously" is very good advice, and just remember it will take a couple batches to adjust your process.

For me, this is the kind of brew experimenting I love. You won't see me doing a side-by-side comparison of step mashing with decoction any time soon...

So I tried moving the chiller while cooling and it does help a lot! Good tip.

However, my tap water is around 75F, so it does a good job cooling till around 90F where it starts to be really ineffective and a waste of water. This is when I rely on the ice bath to take it down to pitching temp. Still takes about 30 minutes to cool 6.5 gallons.

Cool petrolspice, glad those tips helped. 30 minutes isnt half bad. Lets see if we can go even lower. I'm drinking the dunkel warm. Just carbed it 20 min. ago. Its really really good. And at 30 cents a beer i feel like im stealing.

It tastes like a juicy juicy ipa. No more like a 12 percent RIS......not. this is my whole thing. Beer tastes like what you put in the kettle, period. Granted some brewers are probably better than others but by en large what you put in is what you get. My last beer a strong stout with oatmeal, 2 kinds of chocolate, starbucks coffee and a s..t ton of hops tasted just like oatmeal, chocolate, coffee and hops. This tastes like a good dark larger. Anyways will make sooo much of this, and will probably cut to 30 minute mash and boil. I'm terrible at racking beer and didn't gelatin this beer but it was flowing crystal clear in the siphon. I got a little trub I think getting greedy and it got a 40 PSI horizontal dance. So it is a little cloudy right now but it was crystal clear and a little gelatin would make it even more so.

Man this is so good. If you have never used lager yeast you have to give it a try. It is so drinkable

Ok, more quick brewing! Was so excited thinking I brewed my quickest and sure enough literally exact same as first post in this thread. Two and a half hours. I really don't like to brew but i love to drink beers. Here is the log. Rather than plunge chiller up and down, i tried stirring wort. Chilled in 5 minutes to 75. Stirred the mash really hard at dough in and at end. Tried using grate over kettle and it drained but as i squeezed it, i got massive amounts more. Going to go back to colander and bucket squeezing.

View attachment 1492657744198.jpg

I've been doing a lot of 30 minute mashes and 30 minute boils lately. I'm doing no-sparge BIAB, so I have no time invested in a sparge, or in a mashout. Couple that with rapid-fire single-pass chilling (through the plate chiller to maybe 90F or so, and pitching in the AM), and I've done brew days in just over 2hrs.

Actually, some of my best beers have been done this way. I've been doing a lot of NEIPAs lately, and so a 30 minute boil helps keep the bitterness in check.

If anyone is skeptical of this, my best advice is to simply try it. Tweak your recipes for a 30 minute boil (water volumes, IBUs etc.) and do a batch. I was stunned that this dramatically shortened brew day came at ZERO cost to the beer quality.

^^So glad you're here. Look forward to hearing more about your beer and process. Have you noticed any cloudiness issues with 30-minute boils? Obviously with the New England IPA that wouldn't apply, but I'm starting to wonder if shorter boil has something to do with the beer taking longer to clear up.

Back