More Ovaltine please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to be so long getting back to this. I guess this one is filed under "Well, that was interesting..." I've been holding on to the stuff for the past year to see if it ever became drinkable, but alas, don't think it's gonna happen.

The nearest way to describe the flavor would be carbonated malt vinegar. The cocoa flavor disappeared, unfortunately. However, I am hanging on to it, because it tastes pretty good in a salad dressing! I'm thinking it would also make an interesting marinade for beef or chicken, or a base for a sauce, or deglaze a sauté pan. At least I have a "secret ingredient" nobody else can run out and buy! Oh well, on to bigger & better things in the home brewing universe...

Sorry to be so long getting back to this. I guess this one is filed under "Well, that was interesting..." I've been holding on to the stuff for the past year to see if it ever became drinkable, but alas, don't think it's gonna happen.

The nearest way to describe the flavor would be carbonated malt vinegar. The cocoa flavor disappeared, unfortunately. However, I am hanging on to it, because it tastes pretty good in a salad dressing! I'm thinking it would also make an interesting marinade for beef or chicken, or a base for a sauce, or deglaze a sauté pan. At least I have a "secret ingredient" nobody else can run out and buy! Oh well, on to bigger & better things in the home brewing universe...

That sounds like an infection and not really anything to do with the ovaltine...maybe.

I wondered that myself, as it started out tasting OK. I also wondered if the milk solids in the Ovaltine might have imparted some kind of "off" flavor. Perhaps a second try is in order. I might have to think about it. In the meantime it really does taste pretty good stirred into a vinaigrette or marinade, so it wasn't a total loss.

It was just a wild hair, just barely this side of hooch, to be truthful, but live and learn. I might decide to give it another go this fall, as it's already too warm in my shop for brewing beer.

Funny I should see this thread on here today. I was actually just wondering how POSTUM , another powdered drink would work for malt. Not that its an economical alternative necessarily , but its made of malted grains and tastes just like the malt extract I have been using. Anybody ever experimented with it ?

My grandmother used to drink Postum when I was growing up. I never realized it was malt-based. I may have to look into that one as well. As she recently passed away, I might have to create a brew in her honor. She was a nondrinker, but she had enough of a spunky side to appreciate somebody brewing up a batch of homebrew from her favorite breakfast drink. I can easily imagine her sneaking a nip when she thought nobody was looking :D

My grandmother used to drink Postum when I was growing up. I never realized it was malt-based. I may have to look into that one as well. As she recently passed away, I might have to create a brew in her honor. She was a nondrinker, but she had enough of a spunky side to appreciate somebody brewing up a batch of homebrew from her favorite breakfast drink. I can easily imagine her sneaking a nip when she thought nobody was looking :D

What a great idea!!!! I remember postum from a period of time when I was young and had digestive problems. Just the mere mention of it in your story just kinda triggered a comfortable, warm feeling.

Maybe a porter with it? It's been a couple decades but I'm reminded of oats and mollases.....Though the wiki article says "Postum was made from wheat bran, wheat, molasses, and maltodextrin from corn. "

There's also a breakfast cereal that reminds me of it, I wanna say it's cracklin oat brand or something like that. They're round, dark and oaty....you could use that directly in the mash.

Never knew any of my grandparents, but that's a nice thought! :tank:

Alas, Postum is no longer made. The closest things I could find were drinks called Pero and Cafix. Both have roasted barley and malt, I think. Anybody ever try brewing anything with either of them?

Apparently now from what Im reading , postum may be out of production and not available anymore. Hmmmm, I havent seen it in a while but I never even looked for it. If its not available , there is supposedly another drink called Pero that is the same. Also something called Cafix.

If you look there are a ton of postum "clone" recipes out there. And the flavors are pretty easy to recreate- It's pretty much wheat bran, wheat and molasses. Like I said, even putting that cereal (if I could remember the name) directly in the mashtun like I've done with gingersnaps and other's have done with oatmeal cookies as well as various breakfast cereals.

Would you be thinking of Grape Nuts by any chance? If so that would really be interesting as my grandmother's favorite breakfast was a cup of Postum and a bowl of Grape Nuts.

Would you be thinking of Grape Nuts by any chance? If so that would really be interesting as my grandmother's favorite breakfast was a cup of Postum and a bowl of Grape Nuts.

No but that would be cool. These are really dense and really dark "O" shaped cereal. They're really hard IIRC, and really have a molasses taste to them. When I look online it looks like cracklin oat brain, but I thought they were darker.

I have had the cereal you're talking about, but the name escapes me as well. Might be Cracklin' Oat Bran. In the meantime I may keep an eye out for either Pero or Cafix.

Can't believe all you guys are interested in this craziness! Did the world suddenly run out of beer and everybody's desperate? Or is chocolate-flavored hooch going to be the next big craze? :D Nevertheless I will let you know how it goes. At the moment I still have it stored in my shop, but considering we are under a winter storm watch and it's not supposed to get above freezing tomorrow, I may have to bring a few bottles in to get them up to Revvy's proverbial 3/70 conditioning situation. :)

Judging by this weeks release of Sexual Chocolate.. you sir are a future teller.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back