more newbie questions 1st post

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rivs15

Reaction score
hi guys im new to to this hombrew stuff and would welcome a little advice if you got a few minuets heres were im at mabey 15 years ago i bought a basic homebrew kit and some extract and tryed brewing a batch it sucked.infection mabey dont really know. but any way i ran across my carboy and big pot in moms garage the outher day and kinda just became obsesed with making my own beer. i did some reading went out and spent 300 buck and hopped strait into all grain.have brewed every weekend for a month. four batches now and havent tasted a finished beer yet"" finally the questions.yesterday i tryed making a wheat beer <6 pounds wheat ,4 pounds 2 row a little rosted barley, 2pounds honey,rice hulls ,california ale yeast.it was also the first batch i ve made inside.now the pot that i used and thout was 5 gallons turned out to only be 4 gallons so,now about 18 hours later should i add a gallon of bottled water or just leave it alone its bubbling nicely. also my fist batch has been in bottles 1 week now i tasted it yesterday , a brown ale i know it 1 week is to erly but how should it tast by now its pretty rouff drinkabale but not enjoyable do your beers tast ok after 1 week or did i mess it up i dont see how it could change that much from 1 week to 3 sny way sorry about the long post. :

also in my reicpe 1 once amarillo60 half once cacades 30 outher half at the end

I bottled a batch testerday. It was supposed to be 7 1/2 gallons, but it all fit into a 6 1/2 gallon secondary carboy. OG was 1.064, so I though adding water would be legit. What I did was boil the priming sugar in a gallon of water, and added it into the bottling bucket. 75 bottles net. 6% ABW.

that sounds like a good idia but 1 thing i forgot to mention is i forgot to airate my wort and thout it might be a good plan to shake up the gallon of bottled water and add it now to give it a litte more oxegen sorryu about my spelling am playing an onlin poker tournement an dont have time to do the badly needed profreading

so i went ahead and added the bottle of arrow head spring watter i didnt boil it so now i can worry about infections instead if oxegen and volome its always somthing

Not a good idea to add o2 to beer after fermentation has started.

All my beer is quite drinkable before I carbonate it. Just lacks something, like bubbles and a little mouthfeel from the lack of carbonation.

opps didnt think it could hurt much i aint gonna quit till i get this right thanks for the replys

Back