More is better, all the time, no matter what.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FiddleTilDeath

Reaction score
No, less is not more. Less is less. More is more!
More is better, all the time, no matter what!

I've been creating my own recipes for a while, after modifying kits with more hops and more malt. I'm a huge fan of BIG balance, beers that are both ridiculously hoppy and ridiculously malty. My recipes are almost all over 100 hypothetical IBUs, but everyone who tastes my beer loves it and never thinks its too much. I keep trying new recipes with more and more hops, but I have not even been able to overhop a beer, probably because I also keep the malt bills very high as well.

I just wanted to throw out as a discussion point - the idea of maximalism. That said, I view the idea of less is more or minimalism, used in conjunction with maximalism - as the road to success. The whole more is better thing is a bit of rhetoric, but the principle is important.

I see a lot of threads where people are wondering about minute changes to their hop schedule and trying to hit exact target IBUs. I don't see the point here, but I concede I don't do this very scientifically.

I just figure that a certain kind of malt, matched with the right hops, and the right yeast will always be great, if you use a ton of everything, even if the ingredients are simple. I had 2 extract beers tie for 1st place in a competition over all grain beers, which were a Summit only DIPA and a big Belgian Pale Ale. My recent Pale Ale uses 4oz of Summit and 1oz Warrior and while I would never call it balanced with the 6 lbs of Pilsner LME, combined with the fruity esters of the California Ale yeast, the beer is very refreshing, fruity, with a hefty but not overwhelming amount of bitterness, working very well with the light malt which makes enough of a showing for the beer to work. For me the solution is spreading out the hopping evenly over the course of the boil, but I pretty consistantly use 5-8oz of hops each batch, even for session brews.

So stop worrying about hitting target IBUs, put in a bunch of stuff you like, and relax! Use more hops! Use more malt! More is better all the time no matter what.

I've been creating my own recipes for a while, after modifying kits with more hops and more malt. I'm a huge fan of BIG balance, beers that are both ridiculously hoppy and ridiculously malty. My recipes are almost all over 100 hypothetical IBUs, but everyone who tastes my beer loves it and never thinks its too much. I keep trying new recipes with more and more hops, but I have not even been able to overhop a beer, probably because I also keep the malt bills very high as well.

I just wanted to throw out as a discussion point - the idea of maximalism. That said, I view the idea of less is more or minimalism, used in conjunction with maximalism - as the road to success. The whole more is better thing is a bit of rhetoric, but the principle is important.

I see a lot of threads where people are wondering about minute changes to their hop schedule and trying to hit exact target IBUs. I don't see the point here, but I concede I don't do this very scientifically.

I just figure that a certain kind of malt, matched with the right hops, and the right yeast will always be great, if you use a ton of everything, even if the ingredients are simple. I had 2 extract beers tie for 1st place in a competition over all grain beers, which were a Summit only DIPA and a big Belgian Pale Ale. My recent Pale Ale uses 4oz of Summit and 1oz Warrior and while I would never call it balanced with the 6 lbs of Pilsner LME, combined with the fruity esters of the California Ale yeast, the beer is very refreshing, fruity, with a hefty but not overwhelming amount of bitterness, working very well with the light malt which makes enough of a showing for the beer to work. For me the solution is spreading out the hopping evenly over the course of the boil, but I pretty consistantly use 5-8oz of hops each batch, even for session brews.

So stop worrying about hitting target IBUs, put in a bunch of stuff you like, and relax! Use more hops! Use more malt! More is better all the time no matter what.

Second! Granted I don't enter competitions (still relatively new and still have a lot to learn), but I just use enough of a balance of the right malts and hops to somewhat match whatever style I'm going for, and brew it up. Never worry if my IBUs or my OG or FG or SRM or anything are a bit high. All I care is that what ends up in my glass tastes good to me (and my friends). Hasn't steered me wrong yet.

You’re not referring to more brewing skill. It takes far more ability to brew a better beer with less.

Throwing more malt and hops at an Ordinary Bitter won’t make it a better Ordinary Bitter.

You’re not referring to more brewing skill. It takes far more ability to brew a better beer with less.

not arguing with that

Throwing more malt and hops at an Ordinary Bitter won’t make it a better Ordinary Bitter.

I don't disagree with brewing classic beers to style, and I love and drink many of those kinds of beers. . . but I am advocating in favor of thinking in bigger terms than what styles dictate on a creative level and a not worrying about it level. I'm a musician. If someone else is already doing something great, I prefer to do my own thing using elements of other things, as opposed to trying to emulate exactly. I take the same approach to brewing. If you put time and love into a beer and create a recipe based on what you want to drink, it usually comes out unbelievable.

I've made some beers on the less is more wavelength that I've enjoyed immensely. What I prefer to brew now is beer that has a lot of delicious flavor whether session, high gravity, or somewhere inbetween, without regard to being perfectly in line with a style.

Just wait until you start practicing "Maximum utilization of available resources".

not arguing with that . . .I've made some beers on the less is more wavelength that I've enjoyed immensely.
Yeah. Figured you were just overstating to make a point.

The only "More is better" that I practice is quantity of beer, not the ingredients that make up the recipe. Last nights indulgence spanned the range from Ordinary Bitter to high gravity, over hopped American Wheat . . . From Munich Dunkle to IPA.

More is better. Especially when it comes to variety.

I've created over the top recipes for the certain style, and that's definitely an ok thing in my mind, I think one person describe the potential result as "downright chewy"..... I have also made some that are skimming the very bottom of the "style range" that came out pretty darned good, using minimalist recipes. I like more styles, and more methods, than just over the top. there are too many great ways to make beer, and just not enough time to brew....

Back