More Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopstep

Reaction score
I have a DIPA in secondary and have been taking readings and sampling. One thing I've noticed is that it doesn't seem to be very hoppy. Will the bittering and aroma hops show more as the beer ages? Will carbonation change the way I smell and taste hops?

Well yes and no. The hops will fade with age. However, the beer will taste different without carbonation. You can add some aroma by dryhopping in the secondary. For the style it's almost mandatory.

You can add some aroma by dryhopping in the secondary. For the style it's almost mandatory.

Agreed. I find that on my hoppy beers a little dry hopping does wonders. It will really bring out the aroma and flavor and even increase the perception of bittereness in the beer.

I dry hopped with an ounce of cascade but i'm still not satisfied with the result
Here is the recipe: Would you recommend some other aroma hops????
.75 dingemans caramel pils
.25 briess caramel 120
12lbs pale malt LME
1oz yakima magnum 60 min
1oz liberty 30 min
1oz yakima magnum 10 min
2oz northern brewer 0 min
1oz cascade dry hop

Your recipe looks more like an IPA than a Double IPA. I ran the hop additions through ProMash, and it ended up around 79 IBU, which is definitely in IPA range. A DIPA would usually be 100+ IBU.

You might try another dry hop addition. Try an ounce of a different hop variety (e.g. Centennial, Amarillo) for 5-7 days and see if that helps get the flavor where you want it. I did something similar with a red I brewed recently. .75 oz Centennial and .75 oz Amarillo dry hopped in the keg gave it a lot more flavor.

Back