More Beer Belgian (not really a pale) Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drudini11

Reaction score
A friend got me the More Beer AG Belgian Pale Kit for Christmas. Plugging the ingredients into BeerSmith and not coming close to the Ranges that MoreBeer claims for this recipe. This is a 5 gallon batch assuming 70% Mash Efficiency (which is about that I have been getting for my last few batches). Recipe is as follows:

10lb 2 row
4oz Caramunich
4oz Special-B
8oz Carapils
8oz Corn Sugar - Boil 60 Minutes
1oz - Perle - Boil 60 Minutes
1oz - Mt.Hood - Boil Last 1 Minute
1 Whirlfloc Tablet - Boil Last 5 Minute
Safale S-33

OG comes in at between 1.059-1.061 which is a bit high for a Belgian Pale
SRM looks like about 7-8 which is also seems low for the style and IBU's come in low as well. Looking to tweek this a bit to get OG down to about 1.054 and SRM closer to about 15 and IBU's a bit higher to about 19. Was thinking about maybe converting to a 3 gallon BIAB and playing with the quantities but have not been able to get this where I want it. Looking for any suggestions for tweaks to this recipe. Was planning on brewing tomorrow but may just plan trip to the local brewing supply store tomorrow to see if i can alter this recipe a bit.

In Beersmith with your numbers I'm getting 1.059, IBU 25, SRM 9 - that's using perle at 6.9% which should be at the lower end of AA's for that variety. Regarding the OG and IBU's it's likely they just made the recipe for a slightly larger volume figuring for losses, or a slightly lower efficiency. If you drop your base to 9 lb I get 1.054, IBU 27, color 8.8. If you really did get perle that's very low AA I would just toss in a small extra quantity of anything at 60 to get your IBU where you want.

I actually think SRM 15 would be pretty dark for a Belgian pale, but if that's what you want a couple ounces of some debittered black might get you there.

Edit: just changing your batch size to 5.75 gal gets you around 1.052, IUB 23, SRM 8.2. Probably the easiest option unless your primary is too small.

Back