(More Advanced) Question About Yeast Starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrIPA

Reaction score
I recently brewed a batch of rye ipa designed for 5.5 gals and 1.061 OG at 65% effeciency. I used beersmith to calculate everything including my yeast starter. I don't have a stir plate so beersmith always tells me to make a 3L starter. I used 10 oz DME for the starter + 3/4gal of water (Predicted OG: 1.035), and made it 48 hours before I brewed. When I brewed I pitched the starter before I took my original gravity reading.

My question, since the DME in the yeast starter had already started fermenting, how would that effect my original gravity reading? I didn't account for the DME in my beersmith recipe, and when I added it to see what would happen, it brought my predicted OG up to 1.066. I only hit 1.061 when I did take the OG.

Side question: how quickly does a starter of that size ferment out in general?

I recently brewed a batch of rye ipa designed for 5.5 gals and 1.061 OG at 65% effeciency. I used beersmith to calculate everything including my yeast starter. I don't have a stir plate so beersmith always tells me to make a 3L starter. I used 10 oz DME for the starter + 3/4gal of water (Predicted OG: 1.035), and made it 48 hours before I brewed. When I brewed I pitched the starter before I took my original gravity reading.

My question, since the DME in the yeast starter had already started fermenting, how would that effect my original gravity reading? I didn't account for the DME in my beersmith recipe, and when I added it to see what would happen, it brought my predicted OG up to 1.066. I only hit 1.061 when I did take the OG.

Side question: how quickly does a starter of that size ferment out in general?

Making a starter with the intermittent shake and swirl method will take two days to complete.
The discrepancy of 0.005 could be from sample location or Beersmith calculations. Not much to worry about. FG is still multiple stable gravity readings.

Latest posts

Back