moonshiners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ster

Reaction score
Watching the show, it seems booze is first beer or wine, then distilled.

Hmmmmm.....

Tell me that doesn't sound like fun...

You have to start with some kind of alcohol to use a still to concentrate it.

and illegal in most states too (not to say I haven't thought it would be fun). That's the whole point of Turbo yeast, ferment up to 25% abv in as little as a week. If you ever get the hankering to make your own E85 fuel (which is what it was designed to do) or ruin a nice batch of beer, toss some into your next batch. Most LHBS carry it even if it's illegal to distill in your state though.

tacks said:
and illegal in most states too (not to say I haven't thought it would be fun). That's the whole point of Turbo yeast, ferment up to 25% abv in as little as a week. If you ever get the hankering to make your own E85 fuel (which is what it was designed to do) or ruin a nice batch of beer, toss some into your next batch. Most LHBS carry it even if it's illegal to distill in your state though.

It's illegal in all states no matter what your LHBS tries to tell you. Even for fuel you are required to get a permit from the TTB.

Its illegal to do in every state without the proper permits and license, even then its pretty much only legal for fuel. Its easier to walk up unnoticed an put a kick me sign on the presidents back than getting permits to distill drinking booze.

The only place I'm at aware of in the entire world distilling is legal for Joe blow off the street is in New Zealand.

Distillation is legal only if you use it for distilling water or making essential oils. Any distillation for spirits or fuels is illegal. Even owning a still is legal as long as you don't use it for illegal purposes.

Its illegal to do in every state without the proper permits and license, even then its pretty much only legal for fuel. Its easier to walk up unnoticed an put a kick me sign on the presidents back than getting permits to distill drinking booze.

The only place I'm at aware of in the entire world distilling is legal for Joe blow off the street is in New Zealand.

Hell yeah! Although I would never do it as the "standard" method just doesn't seem like fun to me - ferment a sugar wash to get some dirty hooch, distill it to get the spirits then add your little bottle of rum/bourbon/gin flavour to "make" your spirit. Sounds like cordial for grown-ups :D

Even owning a still is legal as long as you don't use it for illegal purposes.

Nope, depends on local laws. Some areas its illegal to own any part of a still. In other parts its only illegal to have the worm. In some areas its Illegal to have all the parts in one spot that could make a still. That is a state law more or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back