Moonshine Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 on the Stilldragon controller. It looks like a good basic kit. There are a couple of pics on this site of completed builds.

I really do want to temp control from the PID and a box plug for the pump. The ebay one I posted would just require me to add an outlet and switch for a pump.

That's all good. I wouldn't call that "simple" though :)

I recently did alot of research myself, and ended up starting off with the Stilldragon kit with the intent on moving up to a PID controller if (when) I get used to the electric system. If I HAD gone with a PID controller, I was either going to go with the High Gravity EBC SV:

http://www.highgravitybrew.com/productcart/pc/EBC-SV-with-Infinite-Power-Control-158p3986.htm

Or build my own based on this Instructable:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Electric-brewing-system/

The High Gravity controllers have a VERY good reputation all over this board. In all my research, I didn't see many guys that went with any of the cheaper EBay options, mostly because if money is a limiting factor, most DYI, and if money isn't a problem, most went with Kal's Electric Brewery or built a clone based on that build. The High Gravity seems to be the best bang for the buck in pre-built options. A single PID controller like the EBay controller you are looking at could be built pretty easily for 1/3 of the price.

Good luck!

Could the still dragon be wired to switch to hlt then over to blk? I would like to run one at a time on 240v by switching. I just need to heat and boil water. I been looking at pj's 30a 1 pid running either or at one time by switching the power. I have been running a electric RIMS for years with good results. I would like to convert the rest of my system to electric as cheap and safely as possible.

If it was me, I would install a NEMA L6-30R Receptacle the controller and install L6-30P plugs on the the elements. I would just manually unplug and plug in to switch the elements. Easy and clean.

If it was me, I would install a NEMA L6-30R Receptacle the controller and install L6-30P plugs on the the elements. I would just manually unplug and plug in to switch the elements. Easy and clean.

This was the approach I used with my system. It simplifies the power wiring considerably when you physically switch the elements.

No regrets and no plans to make it more complex than it needs to be.

Back