montrachet yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jci3005

Reaction score
Getting ready to start another batch of cider. Is montrachet yeast good for cider?

Quick response: YES!!

Longer response: it depends on what style cider you are making.. are you adding sugar or other fermentables? montrachet is a strong fermenter and has a high alcohol tolerance.
Examples - if you put it in apple juice or pressed cider it will be very dry as the yeast will consume anything they can leaving no residual sweetness.
example: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/edworts-apfelwein-33986/ this is an apfelwein that uses montrachet, pretty popular on this forum, I've enjoyed a few batches myself - but it's high octane when compared to your typical cider.

So if you are aiming for a higher octane "apple wine" or a very dry cider, use the montrachet, if you are aiming for something with a lower abv, use US-05 or nottingham ale etc.

hope that was helpful - I freaking love cider.

Thanks very helpful. The local supply store is out of Nottingham, what's your opinion of ec1118.

Not to high jack your thread, but my question might be of interest to you as well. I recently started a 1 gal batch if cider with Montrachet as well. 1 gal store bought apple cider, 1 tube FAJC, 2 cups of sugar yielding an og of 1.080 on the hydrometer. I plan to back sweeten and bottle carb. My question is this: can I cut the ABV down while bottling by diluting the 11% ABV wine with another 1/2 gal of cider or water and priming sugar? I'm unclear how the ABV will change during bottling. I'd really like something around 7-8%. The next batch I will definitely keep the og around 1.050.

Thanks very helpful. The local supply store is out of Nottingham, what's your opinion of ec1118.

EC1118 is a champagne yeast, you will get similar results to that of the Montrachet strain.

Not to high jack your thread, but my question might be of interest to you as well. I recently started a 1 gal batch if cider with Montrachet as well. 1 gal store bought apple cider, 1 tube FAJC, 2 cups of sugar yielding an og of 1.080 on the hydrometer. I plan to back sweeten and bottle carb. My question is this: can I cut the ABV down while bottling by diluting the 11% ABV wine with another 1/2 gal of cider or water and priming sugar? I'm unclear how the ABV will change during bottling. I'd really like something around 7-8%. The next batch I will definitely keep the og around 1.050.

as I mentioned earlier, Montrachet yeast is a well fermenting strain - if you were to back sweeten with juice in an attempt to cut the ABV you would have to arrest fermentation to avoid bottle bombs. to do this, add juice to reduce the abv from 11% to about 7%-8% in your bottling bucket, then bottle the cider. wait 10 days+/- check carbonation - if it's where you want it, pasteurize the ciders, if it's not, check the carbonation each day until it is where you want it, then pasteurize the cider.

to figure out how to get to 7% abv -
you have 256oz*11% and Xoz*0%.
(ignore the units (oz & %) those are just in for information)
This turns into ((256oz*11%)+(Xoz*0%))/(256+x) = 7%
(256*11)/(256+x) = 7
2816/(256+x) = 7
2816 = 7*(256+x)
2816/7=256+x
402.3-256=x
x=146.3oz of juice to reduce your ABV to 7% - now if you were to use 128oz (1 gallon) you would be in your range of 7-8%.

I think my math is correct, but it's early and I haven't had a coffee yet.

Here's the sticky on pasteurization, I really can't add anything to it.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy-stove-top-pasteurizing-pics-193295/

All I can do is echo the safety first comments;
1.) DO NOT try to pasteurize in this method if they are over carbonated; this may result in exploding bottles. The process off heat pasteurization will increase the pressure inside the bottle, so if the bottles are already experiencing higher than normal pressure you are asking for explosions.
2.) safety glasses, tongs, appropriate clothing, a good pot-lid - take all possible safety precautions; don't plan for the pasteurization process, plan for the exploding bottles - even if they don't happen, at least you got to dress up like Mr. Wizard.

hope that was helpful to the both of you.

EC1118 is a champagne yeast, you will get similar results to that of the Montrachet strain.

as I mentioned earlier, Montrachet yeast is a well fermenting strain - if you were to back sweeten with juice in an attempt to cut the ABV you would have to arrest fermentation to avoid bottle bombs. to do this, add juice to reduce the abv from 11% to about 7%-8% in your bottling bucket, then bottle the cider. wait 10 days+/- check carbonation - if it's where you want it, pasteurize the ciders, if it's not, check the carbonation each day until it is where you want it, then pasteurize the cider.

to figure out how to get to 7% abv -
you have 256oz*11% and Xoz*0%.
(ignore the units (oz & %) those are just in for information)
This turns into ((256oz*11%)+(Xoz*0%))/(256+x) = 7%
(256*11)/(256+x) = 7
2816/(256+x) = 7
2816 = 7*(256+x)
2816/7=256+x
402.3-256=x
x=146.3oz of juice to reduce your ABV to 7% - now if you were to use 128oz (1 gallon) you would be in your range of 7-8%.

I think my math is correct, but it's early and I haven't had a coffee yet.

Here's the sticky on pasteurization, I really can't add anything to it.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy-stove-top-pasteurizing-pics-193295/

All I can do is echo the safety first comments;
1.) DO NOT try to pasteurize in this method if they are over carbonated; this may result in exploding bottles. The process off heat pasteurization will increase the pressure inside the bottle, so if the bottles are already experiencing higher than normal pressure you are asking for explosions.
2.) safety glasses, tongs, appropriate clothing, a good pot-lid - take all possible safety precautions; don't plan for the pasteurization process, plan for the exploding bottles - even if they don't happen, at least you got to dress up like Mr. Wizard.

hope that was helpful to the both of you.

So I can use the stovetop pasteurization method with Montrachet?

I drank some of my cider at Christmas, was ok but not great. I waited and had some more on Easter and it was much better. I liked it a lot, but is was more like a wine. I got about a 9% alc. wine. I did not carbonate. I like it as a wine. I have half the batch left and will try to stay out of it till Christmas.

I drank some of my cider at Christmas, was ok but not great. I waited and had some more on Easter and it was much better. I liked it a lot, but is was more like a wine. I got about a 9% alc. wine. I did not carbonate. I like it as a wine. I have half the batch left and will try to stay out of it till Christmas.

It's much, much tastier carbonated and served about as cold as one would serve a lager.

Back