Montrachet or Pasteur Red?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie69

Reaction score
Which yeast would you use for Raspberry and/or Blueberry wine? Or is there another strain that you would recommend. I may be experimenting by mixing the 2 when they are both done.How about EC-1118,I have 3 packages of it but I don't think it's a good strain for fruit wines.

Monstrat for blueberry. I don't remember what I used for the rasberry. Not 1118 however! Possibly 1122.

I am planning a raspberry mead and will use Lalvin RC-212. I have less experience with red star but just based off of reviews and such I would say pasture red for raspberry and Montrachet for blueberry.

We much prefer the Pasteur Red over Montrachet, not nearly as many problems, ferments easily and tastes very good with red berry wines. WVMJ

Montrachet is a very stinky yeast, you will find your ferment to be much cleaner with Pasteur red.

I used monstrate yeast quite a bit. So far no smelly problems at all. No problems at all for that matter. I keep my must in a bucket with a towel over it and stir several times a day. I also use nutriant. Happy yeast should not smell.

i use pasteur red all the time, montrachet can cause h2s pretty easily.
pasteur red will give you a good fruity flavor, likes high temp, and high abv..just make sure you have enough yeast nutrient, and add in thirds.

not saying you can't use montrachet, I have used it plenty of times with good results. It just seems like Pasteur red is a lot stronger fermenting yeast then montrachet. I don't initially have any h2s problems when using montrachet but towards the end of my ferments I will sometimes produce rhino farts. I always use yeast nutrient in all my ferments it just seems like montrachet has always been alittle bit smelly compared to other yeasts....lower fermentation temperatures should help a bit with the gas problem but how much I don't know....

I've used montrachet a lot and like it, haven't had too many sulphur/rhino farts problems. I recently started a batch of apfelwein with pasteur red though just to try it out and it's doing well, but be aware it's a LOT foamier than montrachet! Luckily I did this batch in a 6gal carboy rather than a 5gal that I normally use, otherwise I'd have had a mess on my hands. Montrachet doesn't foam, pasteur red apparently foams a lot.

Pasteur red is a faster fermenter then montrachet so its doesn't surprise me you would get more co2. Also I feel Pasteur red leaves the wine a bit dryer then montrachet so if your goal is a sweeter red wine I would go with montrachet.

Back