Money Vent

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MULE

Reaction score
I NEED to brew, but I am fzucking broke. I found out that my federal tax break check will be coming in paper check form because I used HR Block and paid for it out of my refund. I am married with two kids so the check is going to be sweet but I sure could fzucking use it right fzucking now. I have three brews in mind for this month and the only hold up is the funds.

Hobby on hold..... goddamnit

a couple of my frugal friends have warmed up nicely to the idea of apfelwein....after 2 or 3 of them of course :cross:

when this happens to me I explore the further and cheaper reaches of this hobby, cheese making, vinegar, sour dough bread, moonshine, fermenting things that shouldnt be fermented like whey. you can also call in a few favors from friends who have consumed more than their fair share of your homebrews, any good friend will contribute to the beer fund when asked nicely.

Not to sound like a downer, but WHY on earth did you OVERPAY your taxes? You could have taken that same money and made SOME interest on it...;)

Basically, what you've done is overpay your taxes and gave the Gov't an INTEREST-FREE loan with your money...:eek:

Overpayment is the ONLY reason anyone would get a refund.

I PROUDLY have written a check every year for the past 20 or so. Sometimes (very rarely) I get a small, albeit very small (under $100), check from them. ;)

Not to sound like a downer, but WHY on earth did you OVERPAY your taxes? You could have taken that same money and made SOME interest on it...;)

Basically, what you've done is overpay your taxes and gave the Gov't an INTEREST-FREE loan with your money...:eek:

I PROUDLY have written a check every year for the past 20 or so. Sometimes (very rarely) I get a small, albeit very small (under $100), check from them. ;)

I do agree.. But I think he's talking about his Stimulus check(I think)
JJ

I am young... 29.... still things to learn

The next batches I am doing will be PM so I am just a little excited and broke. So, this is the end of my oh-poor-pity-me rant.

MULE- im in the same boat man. It took me about 9 months to save up enough money to just get STARTED in this hobby. my first batch is just about to be kegged.....and im broke as **** now....but thats the price we pay.

Right there with you man- paying turbotax got me on a paper check. I am looking at the bright side, though. I should get that check about a week before the Austin Homebrew Supply HBT sale!

Everyone agrees that times are tight...but the thing to convince your friends is that you can brew them an ESB or IPA for about $30 for 30 bottles....that's 5 six packs....point out that this would easily cost $50 at the store, and since you are such good friends, you are willing to help them out during these tough times and save them the $20.00.

Don't tell them You are keeping 3 six packs for your own...NEEDS:D....:D

Definitely work the friends/family angle. Money's tight here too, but I manage to brew by asking for ingredients for Christmas/birthday/Woo-my-liver's-not-dead-yet Day, etc. And I have 2 older brothers who fancy good beer, so they don't mind chucking $50 at me for their share of a batch.

my stimulus check is buying my car new tires and it's inspection... the rest we're going to try to invest (some in our ING saving, some in stocks)...

i'm boring.

I once wrote the state of Massachusetts a cheque for under 10c... It may have even been for under 5c... I had a sample book of cheques from opening an account and went through it and used a tom and jerry cheque...

They cashed it too!!! :D

Tired, Broke, and Horny.

That sums up my life right now. I never saw my stimulus check. I know it came. I know it went. The when and where is the fuzzy part.

My last brewday consisted of my wife announcing that she is pregnant again and was followed much later by a collapsed false bottom. I guess you could say that my "bubble burst". Long story, I ended up dumping 30 pounds of grain (12 Gallons wort) down the drive. About $40 worth of material lost to a crappy $20 piece of stainless. So, the beer I never had cost me $60 from the go.

Now I have to replace the faulty equipment to be able to brew again.

Meanwhile, finding new and more creative ways to keep my 2 year old out of the grain bins.

Back