Mold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowabrew

Reaction score
Now i know what a pellicle is and looks like. This is in fact a question about actual mold. I brewed up an all Brett L beer a while back maybe 6mo+. I bottled half of it and let the other half in the ferm bucket. It re-formed a nice pellicle on top and there it sat. I just recently within 3 weeks opened it up and pitched some old ommegang beire de mars dregs which contain brett b. These dregs were at least 6mo old just saved in the corked bottle without any beer on top.

I took a peek yesterday and while it has formed a whole new kind of pellicle, there is a single floating island of actual mold on top. A little white island with black/green center.

Is this something i should now dump, or can i rack from underneath it and transfer to a new carboy? (mold scares me)

White mold... Ok, black and green.. No good. Personally I would try to siphon from below and try it but that my personal stupidity lol. I hate to waste beer.

Back