Mold on Surface?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have had a gallon of kombucha brewing over the last 10 days and a new scoby is beginning to form on top. It looks a little as though there is a bluish mold on top.

Could anyone enlighten me as to whether (i) this is part of the process and (ii) what exactly is happening.

Photos attached!

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1134.jpg
    IMG_1134.jpg
    596.8 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1135.jpg
    IMG_1135.jpg
    670.5 KB · Views: 83
Shame...what is the most likely cause of the mold? The jar I used was carefully cleaned. Is temperature a major factor? The kitchen in which it is being stored is quite cold a lot of the time - i.e. around 60F

I haven't been making kombucha long, but I've read that it should brew at 68-85. If it brews too cool, other organisms can flourish. I stopped brewing it in the winter because I don't keep my house warm enough.

Too cold can allow for mold. Also, make sure you're using enough starter tea - that gets the pH to a level that helps inhibit mold growth.

PH too low is what i have heard more than not when there is mold unfortunately.
Toss it and start over, but make sure and use enough starter liquid... if you don't have enough, get some raw plain kombucha from the store (GT's is plenty tart enough)

Back