Mold on outside of primary......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdbrett

Reaction score
Is this something to panic about? Hoping my lid does the job. My ferm has been stuck and have been trying to get it going. Temp started at 50, but has been up to 60 for a bit. I cleaned it off. Doesn't appear to be bad inside. I just repitched some yeast hoping to get it to finish up. Just hadn't ever seen that, was hoping someone could reassure me! Thanks!!!

I originally pitched 2 packs of Saflager 24/70. Didn't aerate for some damn reason. Maybe that's my problem. Been sitting at 1.026 for a couple weeks. Repitched a few grams of a cheap yeast from the LHBS. Last resort before I give up.

What about a clean champagne yeast to jump start the stuck ferm. What is your recipe

Sent from my HTC One using Home Brew mobile app

Its the Octobourbon on this site. LHBS is over an hr away, so not a lot at my disposal. I finished high at 1.070 instead of 1.065. Was shooting for 1.011.

As far as the mold problem, wipe the outside down with some bleach water and spray it with Starsan before you open the lid and don't let the bleach water get inside.

I didnt notice it untill I'd opened and closed it tonight. Hopefully nothing got inside. Who knows I guess. Dangit. Thanks

I originally pitched 2 packs of Saflager 24/70. Didn't aerate for some damn reason. Maybe that's my problem. Been sitting at 1.026 for a couple weeks. Repitched a few grams of a cheap yeast from the LHBS. Last resort before I give up.

that yeast does not even show up on the fermentis website or anywhere else for that matter.

anyway, at 60 degrees any lager yeast should be able to finish up is this an extract beer?

All grain. Sorry. Was 34/70. Been stuck for 2 weeks. I had a previous thread going on same issue. One person said I underpitched. I dont know, just followed the recipe as I love Octoberfest and Bourbon. OG was a little high. I dunno!

If it's been there for a couple of weeks, yeah, it's stuck. I think the mold on the outside is also a serious red flag. I would A) inspect the beer INSIDE and make sure there's no mold on it. If not, B) make a healthy starter of a high gravity ale yeast or champagne yeast (you didn't tell us what kind of beer it was or if it's even beer?) and pitch that into it. Don't re-aerate (or in your case, don't aerate it for the first time...). Just make a healthy starter and pitch. GL

Edit, sorry, I can see you did say what kind of beer it was. If it was a lager, the high gravity lager yeast I know of is Zurich, but I think it's a platinum strain. Your LHBS may or may not have it. If you don't have access to any of these yeasts, you may as well heat it to the high 60s and pray.

Plus your mash temp may have been too high and you have unfermentables. Champ yeast could help

OK thanks all. No mold inside, so that's good. What's the drawback to bottling at this FG? Diff't taste than what I was shooting for I'm sure, but......I may find out!

If it's infected you could have bottle bombs or gushers

Could I taste it now if it was infected? Doesnt taste bad.

i would not worry about mold on the outside of a fermentor as long as it had an airlock and was not opened on a regular basis. clean it off and get it out of whatever stagnant area it's in. if it is infected you may be able to tell now or maybe not, it may show up later in the bottle/keg. chances are you it's fine.

Back