Mold in my fermentation chest! Ugh stupid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worksnorth

Reaction score
Have a 23 cu' freezer I use for fermentation, Johnson temp control fan inside to help push air round etc. It's wonderful and I haven't had a lick of trouble with it for years. I've had moisture in it before many times but it's always dried out due to the fan going 24/7.
I got smart this time though and turned the fan off for some reason while we went on vacation for three weeks, garage was at 62 degrees and nothing was in the first stages of fermentation, figured everything was where it was going to be.
Got home and found mold in the chest, mold on the exterior of the three carboys in the chest but the air locks with vodka in them appear to have worked as the beer in the carboys looks ok.
I sorted everything down with bleach/water mixture prior to moving anything, rinsed everything down prior to moving anything.
Hopefully going to be ok!!!!
Any ideas on other mold killing chemicals that you may have used in the past that you would prefer over bleach??
Guess I'm just bummed that I allowed this to happen in the first place, totally avoidable! Maybe this'll prevent someone else from making the same mistake.
Cheers!

worksnorth said:
Have a 23 cu' freezer I use for fermentation, Johnson temp control fan inside to help push air round etc. It's wonderful and I haven't had a lick of trouble with it for years. I've had moisture in it before many times but it's always dried out due to the fan going 24/7. I got smart this time though and turned the fan off for some reason while we went on vacation for three weeks, garage was at 62 degrees and nothing was in the first stages of fermentation, figured everything was where it was going to be. Got home and found mold in the chest, mold on the exterior of the three carboys in the chest but the air locks with vodka in them appear to have worked as the beer in the carboys looks ok. I sorted everything down with bleach/water mixture prior to moving anything, rinsed everything down prior to moving anything. Hopefully going to be ok!!!! Any ideas on other mold killing chemicals that you may have used in the past that you would prefer over bleach?? Guess I'm just bummed that I allowed this to happen in the first place, totally avoidable! Maybe this'll prevent someone else from making the same mistake. Cheers!

I didn't "sort" everything down with bleach! I sprayed everything down. Geez

Back