Mold growing on my hops in the fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Masongem

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post here but I have been reading these forums for a few batches now. I am relatively new with about five batches under my belt. I just brewed an IPA and i think i might have contaminated it by adding my dry hops right at the beginning of fermentation. Is my beer ruined? Am I on the right track by thinking the contamination came from adding the hops to early?

I am attaching a picture.

Thank you in advance for the help.

KIMG0388.jpg

It's hard to tell from the picture. Since they were added at the start of fermentation - btw, don't do that again :) - it may just be krausen mixing up with the hops. Is anything fuzzy? Or is it just a lot of bubbles? Fuzzy - not good. Bubbles - OK. I thought I had heard that hops are naturally antibacterial. I may be wrong but it can't hurt to let it ride. A week or so should show if it's infected or not.

eww, If it was my money in a bucket, I would get my beer out from under that funky crap ASAP. The home brewer in me says your fine, but the sissy is screaming OMFG Groooooossssssssss!!!

tough to tell, it could be the krausen mixing with the "fresh" hops giving a green krausen. the pic is hard to see. try putting the camera through the neck with the airlock out.

I can't tell for sure from the picture but it just looks like co2 bubbles to me.

I have never heard of dry hopping before fermentation has finished??

The alcohol content, after fermentation, should stop any infection from adding hops.

If you use a bag to contain the hops you should sanitize that, otherwise the hops just go right in.

Did you sprinkle the yeast on top of the hops? One time I thought I had mold on my carboy neck but I'm pretty sure it was just some sprinkled dry yeast that never made it down to the wort.

Thank you all for the thoughts.

Right now, here is where it is. I know i messed up at least two times with this beer. #1, I added the dry hops right after transferring to the primary fermenter (DOH!) #2, The airlock on the beer did not have enough water in it and I think some air was sneaking in.

I quickly filled the airlock up and it is still bubbling away two weeks after I put it in the fermenter (it is only 58-60 degrees in the fermenter). There is definitely white fuzzy mold on the hops floating in the fermenter. However, since I fixed the airlock the white fuzz has not grown at all.

The beer still smells nice... so I guess I am waiting for fermentation to finish and then I'll just bottle it and hope for the best... or at least a drinkable beer.

Watermelon83, I hear ya man, it sure does look really sketchy and I won't be feeding this beer to anyone but me and my wife. and hopefully we don't die :)

Thanks again for the help everyone!!

-Mason

Back