Mold? Can i rack around it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YouGotRobes

Reaction score
Should I dump it or rack around it? It's only just forming and looks like mold in the secondary. I have 2 full gallons and calculated wrong so I wound up with this 3/4 gallon here with way too much head space. Figured I'd take my chance and this is week 3. I'd of course rather not dump it, I only added cinnamon to this one as an experiment so i'd like to salvage if I can, but it won't break my heart if it comes down to you guys advising me to

image-491685347.jpg

Sorry about the awful quality of the picture too, it's really the best I can get as this is stored in a little cubby in my apt

It's hard to tell from the photo, but I'd rack from underneath and drink it still. (Assuming it's completely fermented dry)

Just my 2¢, but I wouldn't take the chance of waiting another 2 months just to find out it's turned to vinegar.

I planned on bottling all mine this weekend. I'll definitely do this one last and the other 2 first. It doesn't look too bad to me but then again this is my first batch and you guys are the pros.

Definitely dry, I got my fg a week or so ago. Just wanted to age them a bit more but fermentation is complete I figured I'll hide a few bottles and hope to forget about them for a few months

You might think about preserving and stabilizing before you bottle, or pasteurizing after you bottle. It's most likely the start of the vinegar process, if you had good sanitation. And in that case it don't matter if you still have sugar left cause vinegar bacteria "eat" ethanol.

Back