Modifying A Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debo

Reaction score
So, I'm preparing to brew for the first time with an extract kit. I'm fairly confident I can brew a successful batch as written, but I'm curious as to whether I can modify the kit a bit.

Namely, I'm curious about whether it's 1. possible to swap honey for the priming sugar that the recipe provides and if so 2. what ratio I should follow (1:1, 2:1, something else?).

If this is your first batch take my advice and just follow the recipe in the kit. Worry about changing the recipe later after you have a few batches under your belt.

It is my first batch, and the budding engineer in me haaaaaaates the idea of anything pre-determined (hence the wanting to tinker already). The idea with the honey was to incorporate a product my grandpa made and to hopefully produce a beer before he dies. Considering how stubborn and determined that man is however, I may have some time...haha.

At any rate, I'm curious if others have done something similar to my idea. That's not to say I won't heed your advice in the end, but personally, I'm ok with trying something and failing as opposed to being successful because of explicit instructions from a kit.

...in case it's not apparent, my grandpa's stubbornness has rubbed off on me...lol

I've done it to my last two kits with success. One i steeped pumpkin in it for a pumpkin ale and the other I doubled the rock sugar. Pumpkin ale was great and the Belgian ale was bottles a week ago and needs a lot of time to carbonate.

OK if your gonna do this recipe this way i get it. Here is a helpful site for adding honey http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/
This is if you want to add priming sugar to the bottling bucket. If your gonna add honey to the recipe. Make sure you at least add it at flame out. The longer you boil honey the least amount of flavor or aroma you will get. Good luck budy

That calculator's going to be a huge help in the future (at least until I have a better grasp on the ins and outs of things). Many thanks for the link. When I decide to heed your advice or throw it out the window, I'll repost here (and will do the same when it comes time to try the brew).

That calculator's going to be a huge help in the future (at least until I have a better grasp on the ins and outs of things). Many thanks for the link. When I decide to heed your advice or throw it out the window, I'll repost here (and will do the same when it comes time to try the brew).

No problem good luck. I'm sure your brew will come out great!!!:)

With my first kit I thought I'd follow the recommended ingredients that were in its instructions. It called for the tin (1.7kg) of pre-hopped LME (blonde ale kit), and to add 1.5kg of dextrose, the yeast sachet, and to prime with the supplied carb drops...
On the negative side, it made a pretty thin-cidery-horrendous beer - On the positive side, I learned what happens if you make beer using sugar for half its fermentables on a cheap kit I didn't expect much from anyway ;) .
I think I learnt more following the kit than changing it, but I probably would have got better beer if I experimented with changing it.

I'd stick with the recipes for the first few batches. Best thing I've learnt about homebrewing over the years is nailing down and perfecting your process.
Compare it to driving, need to learn and gain muscle memory skills before thinking about F1 ;-P
Once you are confident in your processes like steps and sanitization then when you start tinkering with recipes and equipment you can isolate those changes as the reasons for the success or failure for the batch.

Look its just a different priming sugar he wants to use, its not like he is really modifying the recipe. If he uses the calculator there is really no harm he can do to it.

i did a Cooper's Brewmaster Pilsner can with 1kg of honey (kit/kilo). it was turned out nice. slight honey taste, seemed to take on a bit darker color then others i have seen in pictures. i will be using more honey in the future.

To prime a batch with honey,use the amount of honey recommended in the calculator. But mix it with a cup of boiled water that has cooled to luke warm. This will make it thinner & easier to mix with the beer. Then mix in the honey well. Add to the swirling beer in the bottling bucket. You might want to also give it a few gentle stirs to mix it well,but not stirring hard enough to add o2.

I've primed with honey and/or agave nectar since my very first batch, and have never had issues. The last suggestion by unionrdr is spot on in terms of technique.

My rule of thumb is, for each gallon in the batch, stir two tablespoons of honey into 1/2 cup of warm water. So for my 5-gallon batches, which end up around 4.5 bottled gallons, I use a little over 2 cups of water with about 9 tablespoons of honey. Obviously check the calculator to make adjustments for the appropriate carb level for the style you're brewing.

Maybe it's a silly line to draw, but I try not to eat refined sugar and so I also try to avoid using it anywhere in my brewing process.

Jeff

You could try adding honey at flame out about 1 and a half pounds this will boost the abv and smooth out the beer

From what I read about adding honey instead of priming sugar is a pain to get the right carb level and not have bottle bombs but you get the most honey flavor and bottling

You could try adding honey at flame out about 1 and a half pounds this will boost the abv and smooth out the beer

From what I read about adding honey instead of priming sugar is a pain to get the right carb level and not have bottle bombs but you get the most honey flavor and bottling

That recommendation is terrible not knowing what kit or type of beer he is brewing. Adding more alcohol does not smooth out a beer. Balancing your ingredients does...

Back