Modify guiness handle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonp9576

Reaction score
So I got a new three tap tower and a good deal on a guiness faucet. Only problem is, I want a much smaller tap handle. Has anyone ever modified one? It feels like it's not something I can cut. It feels ceramic like the tower.
Ideas?
Mar09_0003.jpg

The handle doesn't unscrew like a regular handle. At least I don't think it does. I took it apart as much as I could and the brass piece won't come off the bottom. I didn't want to scratch it so I didn't put a wrench on it, but I don't think it's gonna move.

The handle doesn't unscrew like a regular handle. At least I don't think it does. I took it apart as much as I could and the brass piece won't come off the bottom. I didn't want to scratch it so I didn't put a wrench on it, but I don't think it's gonna move.

I think some of those handles are ceramic...good luck modifying.

I find it hard to believe that the handle is permanent. It should come off with a twist...how about removing the handle and faucet and soaking in hot water with your favorite cleaner, then trying?

Or, grab a rubber strap wrench, you should not harm the finish with that.

Keep us posted!

i'll give it a shot. the brass piece on the bottom of the handle comes off of the faucet by removing a screw. i just cant seem to get the brass piece off where a normal handle would screw off.

The handle is ceramic and it's glued and screwed into the brass base. I cut a couple off with a band saw, then drilled and tapped the brass part to take a 3/8-16 stud. It worked out fine. You could also buy a replacement for the brass part at micromatic but I had time and tools so I did it myself.
MG_9976.JPG

i think i might buy the replacement piece from micromatic and see if i can get a couple bucks on craigslist or ebay for the handle.

Back