Modification to Kirin recipe from "Clone Brews"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mvnegassi

Reaction score
I'm going to make the Kirin clone from the "Clone Brews" book. The grain bill looks something like this:

8.5 lbs 6-row malt
1.5 lbs rice
0.5 lbs Crystal (10L)

I assume that the authors call for 6-row mainly to convert the rice. Question is, could I just use 2-row instead? Probably it can do the job on this amount of rice, no? I'm thinking that pilsner malt would be an even better base but I have no experience with it. Should I cut it with some 6-row to handle the rice?

Well, I would add some 6-row for the sake of enzymes. I'd say use at least 2 pounds. Do what you like for the rest. But in this case I would use an iodine test to make sure you convert all the sugar. If you still have starch, mash for longer.

Is this the same for pilsner malt? I've read conflicting information regarding it's ability to convert adjuncts. I'll be boiling plain white rice and adding it to the mash as gruel, by the way.

I think actual enzyme level depends somewhat on the maltster and growing region. That might be the source of the conflicting information.

Back