Modern Times Fraxos Recipe Formulation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultravista

Reaction score
Anyone have a chance to taste Fraxos? I bought a 4-pack two weeks ago - it was the best damned NEIPA I ever had. In full disclosure, I am in Nevada, so there's not a surplus of NEIPAs here ...

I would like to build-up a Fraxos recipe based on the details provided on the M.T. website.

ALC. BY VOL: 7.20
IBU: 50
FINAL GRAVITY: 1.016
HOP VARIETALS: CITRA • SIMCOE • CENTENNIAL
MALT VARIETALS: 2 ROW • OATS • RAW WHEAT • CRYSTAL 40
YEAST: LONDON ALE III

For an ABV of 7.2 and FG of 1.016 w/London Ale III, what would the Original Gravity be?

In Beersmith, an OG of 1.075 gives and ABV of 7.3 but estimates the FG to be 1.020 (sweet).

Its odd, when I increase the OG, the FG drops; and conversely, when decrease the OG, the FG increases.

Looking for advice on building this recipe!

Given the information posted for Fraxos, how would you build it?

FRAXOS: http://www.moderntimesbeer.com/beer/fraxos

Attachments

• Fraxos.png
    Fraxos.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 60
Just a rough estimate I would say:

10 lbs 2 Row
1 lb White Wheat (instead of Raw Wheat)
1 lb Flaked Oats
.8 oz Crystal 40

1 oz Simcoe @ 60 Min
1.5 oz Citra @ 20 Min
1.5 oz Centennial @ 20 Min

Dry Hop 5 days
1.5 oz Citra
1.5 oz Centennial

OG: 1.071
FG: 1.016 ( Wyeast 1318 will provide good mouthfeel at lower FGs as well, so don't try to hit the same numbers if that means too much work or stress )

I think you need a bit more grains than 12 lbs to hit an OG of 1.071 and the estimated FG, unless you have like at least 80% brewhouse eff.

I would shoot for a low SRM in terms of colour. Definitely no darker than 5. I would dry hop with all 3 varieties, where Citra is the focus, with Simcoe behind it and a bit of Centennial in the background.

I for one like Simcoe for dry hopping, also in juicier beers. I don't really like Centennial and I don't think it would be good in large amounts in a NE style IPA.

In Beersmith, an OG of 1.075 gives and ABV of 7.3 but estimates the FG to be 1.020 (sweet).

Its odd, when I increase the OG, the FG drops; and conversely, when decrease the OG, the FG increases.

Recipe programs don't provide absolute results. You have to actually brew the recipe on your system to see what you get.
Also, wouldn't the FG be dependent on mash temperature?
Lower mash temperature, lower FG?
I don't have Beersmith, I use the free calculator on Brewer's Friend; can you adjust the mash temperature on Beersmith and does that give a different FG?
The malt bill from the brewery website list 4 ingredients, maybe they use more oats than wheat? There's a good chance they are using oat malt.

Last edited:
Mash temp. could be anything from 149 to 154F, seeing that the apparent attenuation is 76%, which is completely achievable with 1318. I mashed two NEIPAs at 154.4 F with 1318 and both got at least 75% AA ( there was crystal malt in my recipes as well - Simpsons GNO in one and Weyermann CaraBelge in the other ).

For an OG of 1.071, I would definitely mash low. 1318 will attenuate enough to reach the desired ABV.

Just a rough estimate I would say:

10 lbs 2 Row
1 lb White Wheat (instead of Raw Wheat)
1 lb Flaked Oats
.8 oz Crystal 40

1 oz Simcoe @ 60 Min
1.5 oz Citra @ 20 Min
1.5 oz Centennial @ 20 Min

Dry Hop 5 days
1.5 oz Citra
1.5 oz Centennial

Not sure on anything else but 1.75 each of the wheat and oats will get you 1.073 at 72% efficiency.

Back