MO/Amarillo SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamnich314

Reaction score
Yellow Otter SMaSH - Pale Ale
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.25
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Primary: 10 days
Secondary: 1.5 oz dry hop for 7 days

Ingredients
11 lb Pale Malt (Maris Otter)(3.0 SRM)
½ Whirfloc tablet
4 oz Amarillo (alpha 9.3%)

Hop Bill
1 oz Amarillo (60 min)
0.5 oz Amarillo (30 min)
½ Whirfloc tablet (15 min)
1 oz Amarillo (FO)

Strike Water @ 166 w/ 4 gal
Mash @ 152 for 60 min
Sparge @ 168 until 6.75 gal
6.75 gal boil

SF-05 dry yeast

1.5 oz Amarillo - Dry Hop for 7 days

Estimated Original Gravity: 1.060
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.011
Estimated IBUs: 40
Estimated SRM: 4.8

Thoughts on this SMaSH recipe? It seems like these type of recipes are simple to make but can also be screwed up easily too. I put it into BeerSmith and the Style Guide comparison (for American Pale Ale) looks good and my BU:GU is just under 0.7 so a little on the bitter side but not too much. I'm a little worried the color will be too light but if it tastes great I don't really care what it looks like.

lately i have been forgoing the 30 min addition in favor of 20 and 10 for more flavor vs bittering. that may give you more of an amarillo flavor as well as aroma

I made the same recipe, a litter heaver on the MO I think I had about 14# and a pound of honey malt and it came out awesome!
You can't go wrong with MO/Amarillo in my opinion.
Good luck!

Sounds yummy, though personally I would up the hops for that gravity. I think MO gives a really nice color for a single malt beer. Here is a pic of a SMaTH that I made recently, MO (Thomas Fawcett) with Amarillo/Simcoe - unfortunately the keg didn't last nearly long enough. I did a small bittering addition then a 50/50 mix with the 5 gal equivalent of 1.66 oz at 10, 3 oz hopstand, 2 oz dry hop. 1.056 and 42 IBU.

MO smash wk 4.5.jpg

lately i have been forgoing the 30 min addition in favor of 20 and 10 for more flavor vs bittering. that may give you more of an amarillo flavor as well as aroma

I was going back and forth between that addition being 30 or 15 minutes. I recently did an IPA that was super heavy on late additions and the aroma is AMAZING with a what I would call "crowd-pleasing" amount of bitterness. I'll probably make this a 15-minute add not 30.

I made the same recipe, a litter heaver on the MO I think I had about 14# and a pound of honey malt and it came out awesome!
You can't go wrong with MO/Amarillo in my opinion.
Good luck!

I did 11lbs because BeerSmith tells me that even 12 lbs would make the gravity high for the style and I definitely don't want to taste the alcohol like you can in some high-gravity homebrews. It would make the bitterness ratio lower though which may be better for the wife and non-hop loving beer drinkers.

Ramping up to 14 pounds would give me an est. ABV of 7.5 and I would probably add another ounce or so of hops to get that IBU up closer to 40 again and a bitterness ratio closer to the 0.6 to 0.7 range. Would still be concerned about tasting the alcohol though. Maybe I'm just being paranoid?

Taking all things into consideration, here is the updated recipe:

Ingredients
12 lb Pale Malt (Maris Otter)(3.0 SRM)
½ Whirfloc tablet
5 oz Amarillo (alpha 9.3%)

Hop Bill
1 oz Amarillo (60 min)
1 oz Amarillo (15 min)
1.5 oz Amarillo (0 min)

Mash @ 152 for 60 min
Sparge @ 168 until 6.75 gal (around 4.5 gal)
6.75 gal boil

SF-05 dry yeast

Est. Original Gravity: 1.062
Est. Final Gravity: 1.014
Est. ABV: 6.4%
Est. IBUs: 41
Est. SRM: 5.1
Est. BU:GU: 0.66

I like that the SRM is up a bit (I was afraid it would be too light before) and the IBU and BU:GU are about the same. Gravity got a 0.5% ABV bump but should be fine. And I feel more comfortable with 12 lbs of grain than 11. I don't want this to be a weak beer with no love from the hops.

Taking all things into consideration, here is the updated recipe:

Ingredients
12 lb Pale Malt (Maris Otter)(3.0 SRM)
½ Whirfloc tablet
5 oz Amarillo (alpha 9.3%)

Hop Bill
1 oz Amarillo (60 min)
1 oz Amarillo (15 min)
1.5 oz Amarillo (0 min)

Mash @ 152 for 60 min
Sparge @ 168 until 6.75 gal (around 4.5 gal)
6.75 gal boil

SF-05 dry yeast

Est. Original Gravity: 1.062
Est. Final Gravity: 1.014
Est. ABV: 6.4%
Est. IBUs: 41
Est. SRM: 5.1
Est. BU:GU: 0.66

I like that the SRM is up a bit (I was afraid it would be too light before) and the IBU and BU:GU are about the same. Gravity got a 0.5% ABV bump but should be fine. And I feel more comfortable with 12 lbs of grain than 11. I don't want this to be a weak beer with no love from the hops.

I think your recipe looks Great!
Please let us know how it comes out, I may try it!

It turned out great! Maybe the best I've made. So easy to drink, slight bitterness, crowd pleaser. Will definitely be making this again and again. Love how each and cheap it is to make too!

I made an amazing MO/Centennial SMASH, and that got me hooked!

One suggestion I have for your next batch - try first wort hopping. Just add an ounce of hops as you're bringing it up to a boil, and maybe slightly reduce your 60 min addition (like 3/4 oz?). For whatever reason you don't seem to get a ton of bitterness from FWH, but you do get an incredibly smooth hop profile. FWH seem to be most similar to 15/10 min. additions, just smoother.

YMMV

Back