MM-2Pro vs MillMaster mills

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devils4ever

Reaction score
I'm really getting tired of my Barley Crushers not pulling the grain through the rollers. It's time for an upgrade.

So, I was just about ready to pull the trigger on the MM-2Pro when I came across the MillMaster. This seems to be one of the few mills that have both rollers driven by gears.

This mill doesn't show up on the radar a lot. So, who has one? Pros? Cons? I'm thinking that having both rollers driven will stop having grain just sit there on top of the rollers and not getting pulled through.

That was the reason for going with the MM-2Pro since it has the 2" roller--less chance of malt not getting pulled through.

BTW, I'm thinking of using an AAW gear drive motor to drive this, if it matters.

That mill looks nice but it's coming out of Australia so shipping might be pricey.

The MM2 Pro along with the AAW motor is the exact setup I went with a few months ago when I was in the same boat as you and ready to upgrade from the Barley Crusher. Something to keep in mind if you pull the trigger; spring for the keyed shaft since you are putting a motor on it.

Mm and crankandstein both offer a gear driven model. You'll need a very strong motor to drive them.

Seems like fifty thousand positive remarks on the MM2. Why look any further?
Mine pulls grain through literally 100% without failure. 6 years old and still
Perfect.

Mm and crankandstein both offer a gear driven model. You'll need a very strong motor to drive them.

Why would I need more power to drive a mill with both rollers gear driven? It seems to me the power would be the same.

So, I'm guessing the MM-2Pro with its 2" rollers won't have the BC issues? That's what I'm thinking.

I have been using the MM2 Pro mounted on a stand with a 1/2 hp motor and it grinds the grain bill as fast as I dump it in the hopper. It performs flawlessly. Highly recommend it!

Why would I need more power to drive a mill with both rollers gear driven? It seems to me the power would be the same.

So, I'm guessing the MM-2Pro with its 2" rollers won't have the BC issues? That's what I'm thinking.

I don't have a whole lot of miles on mine yet but it is a solid, quality piece of kit! I suck at building stuff but I was able to slap this together and I'm proud of it so I will leave a few shameless pics here :D

If you want a really easy build and have any questions, let me know! :tank:

IMG_4403.jpg

IMG_4406.jpg

I don't have a whole lot of miles on mine yet but it is a solid, quality piece of kit! I suck at building stuff but I was able to slap this together and I'm proud of it so I will leave a few shameless pics here :D

If you want a really easy build and have any questions, let me know! :tank:

I'm sorry to say, but none of what's in those pictures looks slapped together. Very nice builds!

If you have any spare time and feel the urge, you may "slap together" a few things here. This is all I could come up with my standard MM2 (1.5" rollers):

Mounted Monster Mill MM2.0_1200.jpg

I'm sorry to say, but none of what's in those pictures looks slapped together. Very nice builds!

If you have any spare time and feel the urge, you may "slap together" a few things here. This is all I could come up with my standard MM2 (1.5" rollers):

Thanks! The cabinet is just a target special. The price isn't bad and they have a yellow one on clearance for $60 at the moment.

https://www.target.com/p/windham-one-door-accent-cabinet-threshold/-/A-50860801

I ordered the cutting block from someone on Etsy. The height was almost perfect so just a couple swipes with sandpaper on the feet and I was all set.

There is also a standard light switch in the back for turning it on.

IMG_4164.JPG

Great build! Where did you find that cabinet?

I built it using melamine board and iron on edge banding. Designed it so the cabinet side has a shelf in it so a bucket sits almost flush with the top. Really keeps the dust down. The other side holds the two vittles vaults for a couple of the grains I use most often.

Sweet! Very nice!

Did you add a reversing switch or isn't it needed?

Initially I didn't think one was needed but after 10 or so sacks of grain I think it's a good idea to add one. I had it seize up once and had to manually release the stuck grain. It wasn't the drive roller but the none powered one. It just had a bit of dust buildup that I needed to break free. Probably just related to humidity.

I'll upgrade it at some point this winter when it's dark and cold and I need stuff to do.

Pushing two rollers is more resistance.

So, I pulled the trigger on the MM2-Pro with hardened rollers and 1/2" keyed shaft drive. A bit pricey, but I'll cry once. I've had this for over a week now.

And I ordered the All American Ale Works motor at 180 RPM. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for it. Apparently the shipment from overseas got stuck in Customs and has been delayed. :( Hopefully, I'll be getting it soon.

So, I pulled the trigger on the MM2-Pro with hardened rollers and 1/2" keyed shaft drive. A bit pricey, but I'll cry once. I've had this for over a week now.

And I ordered the All American Ale Works motor at 180 RPM. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for it. Apparently the shipment from overseas got stuck in Customs and has been delayed. :( Hopefully, I'll be getting it soon.

Awesome! Hope you get it soon and look forward to seeing your final product. :mug: Got any plans for the build?

I'm just using the Lovejoy coupler that you can bundle with the AAAW motor. If you are shopping a mill, you'll want to get the keyed shaft if it's an option (it is on the mm2)

OK thanks, Timmy. I'm not settled, but on their respective carts I've put the MM-Pro 2, the AAC 180 w/ 1/2" millside w/ keyway, the 22mm motor side (that's all they offer - is that correct, even though it's a different size?), and the "Buna N Spider Insert," which they say is necessary. And I know zero about hooking up motors, pulleys, or anything else like it, lol. Just blindly emulating what you guys do, as it looks so sweet.

Not settled - because I know this makes me ancient, but I used a simple JSP non-adjustable to very good effect, but that was many years ago, I'm older, and I'd like things just a touch easier, and I guess more "permanent," where I can. Your builds are phenomenally elegant solutions.

I ordered the motor with the "package". It includes the Lovejoy couplers. You just need to specify the mill size shaft requirements. Since I ordered the MM2-Pro, I got the 1/2" keyed shaft option. Unfortunately, the 1/2" keyed shaft only comes with the hardened rollers which costs a lot more. That's why I said I cried once, but I'm buying the best for a lifetime of use.

Awesome! Hope you get it soon and look forward to seeing your final product. :mug: Got any plans for the build?

I have a set of plans drawn up, but I'm holding off on construction until the motor arrives just in case the dimensions are off. I'm a veteran woodworker so building this should be quick and fun. I plan on using 1/2 sheet of Birch plywood for most of it. I can post plans and pics when done.

I have a set of plans drawn up, but I'm holding off on construction until the motor arrives just in case the dimensions are off. I'm a veteran woodworker so building this should be quick and fun. I plan on using 1/2 sheet of Birch plywood for most of it. I can post plans and pics when done.

That would be great, Devil! And I have the same shaft/roller options on the cart, thanks to you. Many thanks for the help and good luck.

The kegco 3 roller mills use bearing and hardened rollers unlike the barley crusher. they are almost exact replicas on the MM but metric and with bearing instead of bushing like the barley crusher uses. .. And the 2 roll version of this mill has been available for years as the cereal killer with very good reviews... I have been using one myself for 4 years now and never had to do so much as clean it... Just throwing the option out there because anything is better than the POS BC...

Great, thanks, Augie. Do you think the Cereal Killer would stand up well mounted to a bench motor (Like the AAB 180 HP w/10mm coupling), as opposed to a handheld drill? It worked, but having for years crushed pouring with one hand and drilling with the other, yeah, would love a more hands-free approach...!

Latest posts

Back