MLT for 2.5 gal experiments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ravenshead

Reaction score
Okay, my pipeline is in pretty good shape for now so I'd like to experiment on some brews I'm not familiar with. In fact, I've never even tasted a commercial version of the brews in question --pumpkin ale and saison. As such, I'd like to do a couple 2.5-ish experimental batches. I'm worried that my MLT may be too big for the job.

It's a standard 48 qt rectangular cooler with a copper manifold. I have several sheets of foam board to fill the extra head space to maintain temp temps. I'm just not sure if I'll have enough of a grain bed to filter the mash.

I'm looking at 5.5 lbs of grain for the pumpkin (sans pumpkin and rice hulls) and about 7 lbs for the Saison.

Can I use my standard MLT?

I don't see why not, unless you have problems draining with your current manifold. I say brew on!

I just brewed a 2.5 gal batch using a 10 gal rubbermaid MLT. Didn't use anything to reduce headspace, and it held my mash temp. just fine. Didn't seem to have more husk than a normal 5 gal batch during vorlauf.

Personally I say get a 5 gallon cooler from lowes and mash in a paint strainer bag (just do no-sparge and lift the grains out of the wort), they sell them for like 25-30 bucks. The reason being is that foam board will invariably flake off and you'll get that crap in your beer. It's a mess... been there done that.

I'll just use what I have then. I'd rather not have to store yet another specialized piece of equipment.

badmajon,
I haven't had much trouble with pieces flaking off. The ones that do float on top and get filtered out along with the rest of the husks. I used to lose about 4-5 degrees and hour, now it's about 1.

Back