Mixing US-05 and S-04 in a stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwipen

Reaction score
I was supposed to get 3 packets of S-04 for a stout, but only got 2. I have one packet of US-05. I can just go back to the store and buy one more packet, but how different will the beer be if I just mix them?

but how different will the beer be
Are you good enough at controlling mash temps and other things to give you the same beer from one brew to the next? If not, then I wouldn't think the difference will be anymore than that. It'll still be decent.

Though if you can easily go and get the other, I would.

OG 1.072
25 liters/6,6 gallons

I'm using Brewers Friends yeast calculator.

OG 1.072
25 liters/6,6 gallons

I'm using Brewers Friends yeast calculator.
I think you entered something wrong or misunderstand the cell density or something.

Or maybe I do, so disregard. I'm finding other stuff that makes me doubt myself. I'll wait for another to say.

These are 11 gram packets aren't they?

Last edited:
Ugh my buzzed a## switched threads without noticing. Disregard.

Now you got me doubting the calculator. Should I just use 2 packages?

Like many others have said... just use two packs.

I've often used two packs of dry yeast on a high gravity beer, never used three, never had an issue.

I mostly use liquid yeast, but I have used dry yeast quite a bit as well. I always followed the Brewer's Friend calculator, and I never had an issue. It's very hard to overpitch, especially if you're not rehydrating.

Mixing an American ale strain with an English one is well known to produce fine results, especially in a stout. In fact More Beer used to sell a custom White Labs stain called "Best of Both Worlds." It was a mix of WLP001 and WLP002. I never brewed with it but people who did really loved it. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to mix US05 with 04.

Hundreds of years ago Stouts and all beers would have been fermented with a pitch of mixed yeast strains. That’s just the way it was.

Individual strains of lager and ale yeasts were figured out much later by Jacobsen at Calsberg.

So you are making a historic Stout with the mixed pitch. Brew on!

Last edited:
Back