Mixing similar yeast strains (Wyeast 3068 and Safbrew WB-06)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unusmundus

Reaction score
After brewing a hefeweizen, a recipe I've done numerous times, just the Monday before last (September 30th), I ended up pitching my yeast wayyyy too high (high 80's-- Long story-- Don't ask). Unable to get another pack of yeast in the next few days after I crossed my fingers and waited. After about 48 hours lag I took a sigh of relief as the airlock started bubbling, but... That was all it did-- Bubble. I've used Wyeast 3068 (Weihenstephan) a couple other times before on the same recipe, and the fermentation went crazy ! The airlock popped off, I had to rig a blow off tube, and even with that going the lid to my bucket was still swollen for the better part of a week with the bottle of sanitizer the end of my tube was sitting in continuously gurgling for days on end. Now back to my current batch, after just a couple days of mediocre airlock activity, my krausen dropped. Yesterday a good homebrewing friend of mine (with much more experience) mentioned that even at this point-- a week and a half into fermentation, pitching another pack of yeast could do no harm. Only thing is, 3068 is pretty damn hard to come by in my parts. I'm always calling my LHBS for about a week before brewing a hefeweizen to make sure they have some, and it's always the last pack. As far as my knowledge goes 3068 and WB-06 are somewhat similar. I've never used any yeast from Fermentis, but I'm wondering if mixing these yeasts could risk any off flavors, or if it's even worth pitching another yeast at all after my krausen has dropped. Any input appreciated as always.

Cheers !

:mug:

What's the specific gravity at this point? That would affect the yeast choice.

What's the specific gravity at this point? That would affect the yeast choice.

Wow ! Just took a grav reading, she's reading 1.020, with an OG of 1.060... Guess there really isn't any need to pitch more yeast at all, eh? Guess I was over thinking it.

To answer your original question, pitching multiple strains of yeasts is fun to experiment with. Typically, one yeast will dominate the other but that doesn't mean you can't achieve interesting results by mixing strains. White labs sells blended yeasts for brewers that want characteristics from more than one strain of yeast. Mixing similar yeasts will produce beer with a similar taste and smell. Using slightly different yeast strains can produce interesting (and sometimes funky) beer flavors.

If you face this problem in the future, don't be afraid to mix.

Back