Mixing priming sugars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sky4meplease

Reaction score
I brewed an Amber Ale this Summer that for my taste turned out amazing.
When bottling I realized I was short on corn sugar so I substituted with some rice solids. Probably not 50/50 but maybe close.
The head on this beer is amazing. Thick and creamy with lacing like I have never seen. It's almost like a scoop of ice cream on top of my beer.
Is anyone mixing priming agents on purpose?

I did once: It was an Irish Red that I thought wasn't red enough, so at bottling time I used an 8oz. bottle of POM pomegranate juice plus dextrose to make up the reminder of the calculated sugar. It worked, carbonation is great, the beer is beautiful to look at. But.... when the sugars from the juice are used up, it leaves a weird, tart taste that is not very good with an IR. So, learn from my mistake, don't prime with POM!

I may try mixing the two again to see if I get similar results.
I have only ever used corn sugar so I don't have experience with other priming ingredients.
I guess I figured when it came time to carbonate that the beer was finished and you just needed sugar for the yeast to consume.
The yeast need fermentable sugar so give them that and the results would be the same across the board.
I never thought of priming as a flavor contribution to the finish product.

I make an Old Brown Bear Ale that I routinely prime with maple syrup and brown sugar.
It took a little calculation and thought on the first batch, and the occasional overcarb before I began to err on the side of caution and deal with an undercarbed beer.
The final beer has an ever so slight hint of sweetness at the finish.

I made the same beer one with dextrose and the taste was not present.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You could always split the batch and prime half with dextrose alone and half with dextrose and rice solids and compare the two. Science!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back