mixing primer in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardrain

Reaction score
whats the best method?

i use a bottling bucket and have poured the dissolved sugar water into the bottom then siphoned the beer in. I had a long hose and coiled the beer so it spun around some....well then i got an auto siphone with a smaller tube and the end of the hose ended up in the middle/top of the bucket before the transfer was complete.

I bottled without mixing but then when i tasted the beer at the end it was very sugary. I opened a brew last night (it's been 1.5 weeks, i know too early but i was curious) and its very flat.

Is the coil method, which creates a small woorlpool, ok? or does that add to the oxygen level? Is there another method?

also, if my beer ends up as flat as I think it's going to be, is there anything i can do about it? would adding sugar and re-capping work or would i have to add yeast as well?

Honestly I've never heard of a problem with that method, i've done a couple siphons with a short tube where I held the bucket up and then lowered it when the liquid level was higher, so that after the halfway point the tube was in the middle of the bucket. I doubt any of your beer will be flat, the beer might have just tasted sweeter than you thought because it was flat at the time or needed some aging. Then again I'd think you'd have some bubbles at 10 days, are you storing these at room temp? Are you sure your yeast is viable? I see you have an Alt in your sig , doesn't that mean a long cold conditioning? Maybe you need some fresh yeast.

I've forgotten the priming sugar, remembered halfway, dumped it in and didn't stir and I still didn't get any flat beers, unless I just got lucky...

I think you're being premature in judging carbonation. you don't list where you live, but its still cool this time of year unless you keep your house hot as a sauna.

give it another 2 weeks and keep the bottles 70-80F and they'll fully carb up.

any gentle swirling action from the siphon should mix the sugar water into the beer as you rack.

Back