Mixing EKGs with American hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsandhops

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

Trying to use up my 2014 hop stock and wondering if anyone has any experience mixing EKGs with American hops in an IPA/DIPA.

It'll be a 60 min Magnum addition, followed by a huge steep and dry hop with some combo of Motueka, Chinook, Cascade, Centennial, and Citra. Wondering how EKGs would blend with some or all of those.

My current plan is Motueka, Cascade, Centennial and Chinook in the steep, with Citra and Motueka in the dry hop.

I have limited experience with EKGs, but I've read they can give a honey-like flavor that might be nice. I know they are a subtle hop

Thanks in advance! :mug:

If you want it a bit subtle, I'd go with relatively similar strength hops: Motueka, EKG and Cascade, with maybe some late Chinook. It will be for sure different than the ones with Centennial and Citra (even if we all love those). EKG has a nice floral, marmalade sort of aroma that blends well with Cascade. Motueka is another perfect candidate to blend with EKG as it's related to Saaz which is an excellent match to EKG. However, EKG will be overpowered by Citra and it might clash a bit with Chinook, unless you use very small quantities of Citra/Chinook (like 10:1 EKG to Citra).

Btw, I quite like the idea of a blend of Cascade, Motueka and EKG, but maybe more for an APA than an IPA.

Yesterday had a commercial Motueka sh. Amplified Saaz spice with lemon rind. Nice, would go well with Cascade. With EKG it could give you a bitter orange and lemon blend.

That's an interesting blend for sure. I may try a cascade/motueka/ekg blend in the future, sounds like a tasty apa!

I'm trying to clear out my freezer stock, so maybe I'll hold off on the ekg on this batch and just use the others.

After thinking about it more I may drop the magnum and use Chinook at 60, 30, 15 and then motueka, cascade and Centennial in the steep with citra and motueka dry. Does that sound good? Should give a slightly floral piney citrus flavor with a tropical bomb aroma

I did a EKG and Cascade extract brew with a bud for his first beer. We did an oz of each cause he didnt want it too hoppy. It was super basic recipe but the beer was solid.

Brooklyn East IPA, or whatever it's called uses EKG with Centennial and Cascade if I'm not mistaken.

That's an interesting blend for sure. I may try a cascade/motueka/ekg blend in the future, sounds like a tasty apa!

I'm trying to clear out my freezer stock, so maybe I'll hold off on the ekg on this batch and just use the others.

After thinking about it more I may drop the magnum and use Chinook at 60, 30, 15 and then motueka, cascade and Centennial in the steep with citra and motueka dry. Does that sound good? Should give a slightly floral piney citrus flavor with a tropical bomb aroma

I thought you were more keep than that on the EKG! :D

I thought you were more keep than that on the EKG! :D

Ended up using Chinook at 60, 30 and 15, with some Citra @ 15; Motueka, Cascade, Centennial in a 180* WP and I'll DH with Motueka and Citra. I'll let you know how it came out in a few weeks!

Thanks for everyone's ideas. I wanted to use up the bulk of my American hops, so I skipped the EKG on this one. I think a Cascade/EKG APA is in my near future though... Maybe 2 row, biscuit and Simpsons medium crystal.. nom..:tank:

Back