Mixed Fruit Wine - Will it suck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArrogantDusty

Reaction score
So I have only ever made grape wines from kits, so bare with me here. I just ordered multiple cans of fruit purees from Vintner's Harvest for a Berlinner Weisse I am split batching. However, since they come in cans of 3 lbs each, I am going to be left with some extras.

I thought about adding them all to a kettle sour beer I have aging on brett, but I think that beer would be better with some dry hopping and more brett aging.

That lead me to thinking about making a fruit wine! Here is what I will have left to work with:

Peach-1.5lbs
Sweet Cherry-2lbs
Blueberry-1.5lbs
Blackberry-1.5lbs
Raspberry-2lbs

My thought was to toss it all in a fermenter with some sugar and let it go. I was thinking 5g. But I have a 3g and 6g open too. Any thoughts on recipe or if this is just a bad idea?

If those are the weights of the puree then I think VH suggest that one can can make 3 gallons (or 5 if you prefer the thinner tasting wine). The one thing you may need to watch is that fruit wines often come out tasting like cough medicine and I think the cause of that is that the TA (NOT the pH) is too low...

It'll probably want some nutrients added for effortless burbling. I can't really speak to the proportions, but those are good tasting fruits, and I bet they'll wine well.

@bernardsmith I'm curious what "TA" refers to here - I've made a number of fruit wines and never had anything go Buckleys on me, but still.

ps If I ever start a nudist colony I'm calling it "bare with me". :)

Latest posts

Back