Mixed 1056 and 1272 by mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

korndog

Reaction score
Through a comedy of errors, I pitched one pack of 1056 and one of 1272 into an impromptu rye APA brew yesterday. The thing took off like a rocket btw. Anyway, I usually use 1272 in this beer and am wondering how my blunder will affect the product. Anybody else?

KD

Im not extremely experienced but i think it will be fine. I've used the 1056 in an APA before with great results. Overpitching yeast is not usually a problem, and i don't see how using two yeasts designed for similar beer styles would be a problem either.

For those of us unfamiliar with Wyeast, what is 1272 exactly?

Don't forget about Ye Olde Google...

[ame=http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&q=wyeast+1272&btnG=Google+Search]wyeast 1272 - Google Search[/ame]

Uh, that was a quick hijack. i was wondering if anybody has made this mistake or mixed them intentionally, and what the results were. I have used both strains extensively but never together. I assume there wont be too much damage, but the ferment is hotter than I normally get using 1272 alone for this beer. As BK said, I might have stumbled on a new recipe. :) Thanks guys.

Oh, and btw, 1272 is Anchor Liberty Ale strain and is very underrated IMO.

Uh, that was a quick hijack. i was wondering if anybody has made this mistake or mixed them intentionally, and what the results were. I have used both strains extensively but never together. I assume there wont be too much damage, but the ferment is hotter than I normally get using 1272 alone for this beer. As BK said, I might have stumbled on a new recipe. :) Thanks guys.

Oh, and btw, 1272 is Anchor Liberty Ale strain and is very underrated IMO.

Ok cool, now you're speaking my language. I don't think anything bad will come from using these two together, they are quite similar as it is. I doubt I personally could tell the difference between the same recipe pitched onto the two different strains, so with them together...

Usually one strain will dominate the other but these seem to be pretty evenly matched.

Back