Mistake in Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pyrocyz

Reaction score
So in a lapse in my process, I forgot to sanitize my bag for the hops when dry hopping my double IPA. I racked the beer into a secondary fermenter after the fermentation was nearly complete and forgot to soak the bag in the sanitizing solution.

Did I just ruin my beer? Is there a remedy?

I don't soak mine, I boil them for 5 minutes.

You'll probably be fine. Just don't plan on keeping any around for very long. There is little left in the beer for anything to take off and thrive off of. Any contamination that you could have caused if any would take time to do a lot of harm. It was fairly clean and dry right?

Yeah it was new, clean and dry, just not sanitized.

I feel like an idiot.

Looks like I will be drinking this batch quickly after its bottled.

Yeah it was new, clean and dry, just not sanitized.

I feel like an idiot.

Looks like I will be drinking this batch quickly after its bottled.

I doubt you have too much to worry about. There is always that small chance but being new and dry really limits the chances of something bad being on there.

Have a Homebrew.

If fermentation was nearly complete, and it was a double IPA, you're probably fine. That higher alcohol content should take care of any nasties that want a shot at your beer.

The chance that there was something on a dry, new substrate that could thrive in 9+% ethanol and compete against the yeast is remote.

Good news, just cracked open my first bottles of this beer and it turned out amazing. I dodged a bullet with this one. Never again will I forget to sanitize the dry hop bag.

Latest posts

Back