Missing two pieces of my 3-piece airlock for daysssssss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryancrook

Reaction score
HBT community,

Need some input on what could go wrong with my situation that just happened recently. I didn't realize I was missing the centerpiece and lid of my 3-piece airlock after my fermentation finished. It was likely like this for maybe a week. As soon as I realized it I purged the head space with CO2 and replaced the airlock. My oatmeal stout has taken on an off flavor that I can't describe and I'm worried it will just get worse over time. Has anyone else had this experience before, or think that my beer may be ok? I'm pissed because I was going to enter this into a local club competition next month and I'm afraid I'll just have to dump the batch. :(

Was the airlock clean/sanitized? Was it kept in a closed fermentation chamber that is reasonably clean and is free of mold? If so I'd imagine it's just fine. Either way I wouldn't dump it, once you're certain fermentation is complete I'd bottle/keg as normal and see how it turns out.

Likely the only thing that could go wrong, would be acetobactera. You would know if you had this (vinegar).

Chances are nothing happened as a result of the airlock missing pieces.

Back