Missing ingredient and O.G. off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indybrewer

Reaction score
Brewed a Austin Brew Double Chocolate Stout yesterday. After putting the grains in I went to get the rest of the ingredients and was missing a 1/2 lb of Malto Dextrin. I went ahead and brewed with out it but the original O.G. was 1.046 it called for a O.G. of 1.056. Does everyone think this was off because of the missing ingredient. Fermentation started in about 5 hours. Thanks for the help.

Craig

Malto Dextrin is less than 5% fermentable. Use up to 8 oz. In 5 gallons to increase the body and mouth-feel. If this was the only item that you did not have I dont see how you OG was off so far as this is only <5% fermentable.....

D

I am the guy you talked to on the phone. The malto-dextin adds mouthfeel and a little body. It is only about 12% fermentable so it would have contributed a very little to the alchol. If the malto-dextrin isn't there it will reduce the gravity because it is a adjunct that stays in the beer so it contributes to the gravity but does not ferment.

Everything will be fine with the beer and you haven't lost any alcohol.

Thanks for the quick responses. I am new to brewing and have done only kits. By far the best kit I have ever done is the Austin Brew Kit. It is well put together and has great instructions. From now on all kits and ingredients will come from there. I appreciate the help yesterday as well. Since I am new I worry about everything in the brew process.
:mug:

yeah, malto isn't as fermentable as sugar...and because of that you retain MORE gravity when the beer is finished.

I think the lack of that, and an inaccurate hydro reading explain the lower OG. extract kits can be hard to mix with the top off water...you literally have to stir 5-10 minutes to get a homogenous solution, and an accurate hydrometer sample/reading.

1/2 lb of MD in 5 gallons is 5 points. You may want to get some, just for the mouthfeel. Dissolve it in a cup or two of boiling water & stir. This can be done at any point in the ferment.

I too am brewing as we speak and find the malto dextrin missing. I ordered my kit in march I believe. So far 2 for 2 kits with missing ingredients from Austin. I hope this isn't a continuing trend.

As for adding it later, will there be any ill effects?

I too am brewing as we speak and find the malto dextrin missing. I ordered my kit in march I believe. So far 2 for 2 kits with missing ingredients from Austin. I hope this isn't a continuing trend.

As for adding it later, will there be any ill effects?

To be fair to AHS, I suspect that there have been a number of people between you and the OP who bought this kit and got all their malto dextrin. Those people just didn't get on-line and post about it.

I don't believe I said that noone who ordered this kit got the malto dextrin. I suppose I should have said that the other missing ingredient was hops for me, in a completely different kit, and that it was sent out as soon as I called, as I suspect this will be. :mug:

Latest posts

Back